Apologies if this is the wrong forum. Just axin' a question :D

hypersonicbomberwip5.png

TempestWaveriderWIP3resize.png

hybridreynstpulsejetramjetannotated.png

hypersonicrailgunshellwip3.png

infantryrailgunprojectilewip8.png

ramjetprojectilewip2.png

candycornwip2.png

Note: all of this stuff is years old and completely fictional or my interpretation of other designs I've come across. If any of this looks any kind of familiar, it's because I've read a lot of PDFs on hypersonics and other such aerodynamic awesomeness in my time. You'll probably notice I like isentropic spikes, plug nozzles, power-law curves, and FDL shapes in my designs. Also, the one that looks like candy corn is a high-L/D maneuvering reentry vehicle of my own design based on a... candy corn. LOL ;D

MS Paint kinda blows in my opinion. No substitute for Photoshop as it allows more depth with regard to texture. Some use Illustrator as it is vector based and therefore less memory intensive whilst permitting "scalability." For detail though...Photoshop rules.

Good stuff though. Keep it up.

Attachments

• old-tv copy.jpg
    old-tv copy.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 3
MS Paint is truly awful. No-one in their right mind would use it. If you can't afford Photoshop, there are loads of free paint programs immensely superior to Paint. Paint.NET and GIMP to name two.

I had to use gimp for a couple days at my last job for simple stuff while they ponied up for a spare PS license. It worked pretty good though I couldn't get my head around the different hot keys being a PS guy. That said, if you never use PS, then it doesn't make much difference then I imagine.

I've found Google Sketchup to be pretty useful for doing schematics and drawings like three-views. The only thing about Sketchup is that if you want to really get into the 3D stuff, the learning curve is not small.

Is GIMP actually pretty good? I might give it a try.

I'd also recommend Inkscape http://www.inkscape.org/ for vector drawing.

RP1

I always used the Deneba Canvas for my drawing, currently I exploit the Release 8 (not one of the latest.....).

GIMP is pretty powerful, but coming from UNIX the user interface is quite non-standard. Paint.NET is a Windows native program and there are a lot of powerful free filters around for it, its got less features but is easier to pick up for the layman.

There was a GIMP hack a few years ago that moved all the menus to correspond to Photoshop as closely as possible. It made the program much easier for old Photoshop hands. However, the hack hasn't been updated. GIMP 2.8 will release a brand new UI which should be easier to understand late this year.

I'm on Linux these days so I use GIMP a lot, for most tasks its pretty similar to Photoshop. It seemed a little flaky when I tried GIMP on Windows, its been rock-solid on Linux though.

dannydale said:
How do you guys feel about MSPaint?

Personally? As a somewhat frequent contributor to Shipbucket...I feel that I have a love/hate relationship with it. It's very limited, basically limited to pixel art, but if you expand the canvas to an ungodly huge size and shrink the final product you can work around this, or you can just do your best regardless, as I and others on Shipbucket have demonstrated. I actually like the Shipbucket style guide because of how it deals with MSPaint's limitations (and it means anybody with a computer can contribute instead of having to plop down $$$ for the nice Adobe stuff, or illegally acquire them) but otherwise it's worthwhile learning GIMP or some of the other already suggested programs.