Horten Ho 229 Documentary - "Hitler's Stealth Fighter"

i think test has been made by northrop long time ago....

http://www.youtube.com/user/EquationModels#play/all/uploads-all/0/JBnBSJ9bz3A

gery

Not wanting to tick anyone off here, but I HAVE to post this.

I AM a SERIOUS aircraft nut!

I watched it last night in HD and 720p for the first time.

I really enjoyed:
1. How Northrop Grumman built the model - learning about the rotator - for example, and other stuff.
2. Being in the El Segundo model shop - never been there even if it was a TV presence. WOW - neat!
3. These guys are great fabricators - they're FAST, CREATIVE.
4. Being with the LO engineers as they went to NASM storage to measure the real Ho 229. Neat!
5. Seeing the cool graphics of the A/C back in the 1940's and of the model when it was done - neat photo angles !!
6. Hearing the fabricators/LO engineers talk about all the classified A/C work !! - Man what a cool place to work!!
Bummed when I heard they destroy the models they test. I guess this is necessary though.
7. Seeing John Cashen and Irv Waaland come see the model.
8. Getting a chance to go out to Tejon (again TV presence, but heck, beggars can't be choosers)
9. Seeing how they do the setup in daylight vs night, when I think they normally work out there.
10. Seeing the hot spots light up on the model (The LO engineers knew what was going to happen).
11. Getting the results of the Computational Electromagnetics (CEM) tools after the Ho 229 model measurements at Tejon.
12. Amuzed at coming up with a result that sounded good.

I think John Cashen's comment summed up the real show - you guys (the Northrup Grumman model guys) are the best in the world!!

Notice, no Nazi stuff above!

Regards to all!

yes, i agree with you... ;D ;D ;D ;D

And i think "nazi" , now does'nt exist.....

it's just an "hoax" of the "international mondialist lobbys" when an "information" don't go in their wanted direction....like the "WW2 german advanced tech"

NASA without doct. Von BRAUN does'nt exist and apollo project too....

soon

gery

shockonlip,

I’ve found your review very informative and thanks to it I'm really interested now in watching the documentary.

But I'm a bit confused too.

In the first posts of this threat, Stuka clearly told us the documentary has two parts:

1st part) The construction of a Ho 229 replica and its RCS testing at Northrop Grumman.

the real stars of this show will be the people of
Northrop Grumman. Most of the time, details of their work
are closely held inside the company, but this is an oppor-
tunity to show the world how Northrop Grumman people
excel at what they do.

2nd part) A brief story of the design and contruction of the original Ho 229 prototypes at Germany in 1945. The last days of the III Reich.

It’s widely acknowledged that Germany won the
‘aviation technology’ battle in WW2

could the German “bat-winged” stealth aircraft have eluded Allied
radar and changed the course of the war?

Had Germany been able to field this jet-powered fly-
ing wing before the end of World War II, how would it
have performed against Allied aircraft? Did the Germans
incorporate rudimentary low-observable elements into the
Ho 229? Could it have eluded British radar long enough
to make Germany’s London bombing campaign succeed?
These are some of the tantalizing questions the documen-
tary will try to answer.

The first part is great. It's what you describe. Very interesting facts. I'd love to see that documentary.
The second part caused controversy in our forum. Most members posting in this topic had argued with documented sources showing its speculative nature.

The question is:

In your post you say there is no Nazi stuff in the documentary. Then, that second part has been deleted from the final edition. Is that true?

Regards,

Antonio

PS: After reading all the posts in the Topic again I have been reading carefully NG's website (following the link Gery posted). I must admit that despite showing some biased facts about the Ho 229 (obviosly to support interest in the documentary), information about wuderwaffen is mostly honest and serious.

have just watched in full
really great operator's job and idea
...and some great places to see

The question is:
In your post you say (shockonlip) there is no Nazi stuff in the documentary. Then, that second part has been deleted from the final edition. Is that true?

self answered

Just watched today. My personal own review:

As a documentary

Part one, Northrop Grumman work, excellent.
Part two: Wunderwaffen stuff (Yes, it exists ;)). Expendable, why do you need it when you have a real captivating story at Northrop Grumman. Should have been deleted. No need to add absurd "what if"

As a TV show

It's pretty well produced. I enjoyed the models and animations very much.

Regards,

Antonio

pometablava said:
shockonlip,

I’ve found your review very informative and thanks to it I'm really interested now in watching the documentary.

But I'm a bit confused too.

In the first posts of this threat, Stuka clearly told us the documentary has two parts:

1st part) The construction of a Ho 229 replica and its RCS testing at Northrop Grumman.

the real stars of this show will be the people of
Northrop Grumman. Most of the time, details of their work
are closely held inside the company, but this is an oppor-
tunity to show the world how Northrop Grumman people
excel at what they do.

2nd part) A brief story of the design and contruction of the original Ho 229 prototypes at Germany in 1945. The last days of the III Reich.

It’s widely acknowledged that Germany won the
‘aviation technology’ battle in WW2

could the German “bat-winged” stealth aircraft have eluded Allied
radar and changed the course of the war?

Had Germany been able to field this jet-powered fly-
ing wing before the end of World War II, how would it
have performed against Allied aircraft? Did the Germans
incorporate rudimentary low-observable elements into the
Ho 229? Could it have eluded British radar long enough
to make Germany’s London bombing campaign succeed?
These are some of the tantalizing questions the documen-
tary will try to answer.

The first part is great. It's what you describe. Very interesting facts. I'd love to see that documentary.
The second part caused controversy in our forum. Most members posting in this topic had argued with documented sources showing its speculative nature.

The question is:

In your post you say there is no Nazi stuff in the documentary. Then, that second part has been deleted from the final edition. Is that true?

Regards,

Antonio

PS: After reading all the posts in the Topic again I have been reading carefully NG's website (following the link Gery posted). I must admit that despite showing some biased facts about the Ho 229 (obviosly to support interest in the documentary), information about wuderwaffen is mostly honest and serious.

Hi Antonio.

I think I confused you. My mistake.

When, at the end of my review, I said:
"Notice, no Nazi stuff above!"

By "above" I meant just my review. In other words, I was
utterly enjoying the show about Northrop and I was also
quite taken with the beauty of the Ho 229 as an aircraft
and enjoyed the 1940s artwork and the shots of the finished
model - neat angles.

I have opinions about if this aircraft really would
have changed the outcome of the war or not as well, but since
there was so much rift on this site over that aspect, I just
wanted to make sure my fellow web site members didn't miss
the really cool stuff about Northrop and the airplane itself.

Regards!

By "above" I meant just my review

You're right, I misunderstood. Please accept my apologies.

Regards,

Antonio

just look at here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z07Kt4pjh04&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eyoutube%2Ecom%2Fuser%2Fmihaelmartinovic&feature=player_profilepage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q43nKosJj8c&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzUKeBZ8QDY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwMHU6k1bBU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whqzkotiU_c&feature=related

Here http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/hitler-s-stealth-fighter-3942/Overview
National geographics announces another sensational story:
"The sinking of Hitlers Supership" !
No, they don't speak about the Bismarck or Tirpitz, but about the Wilhelm Gustloff ! ;D

Good work was done by the guys from Northrop and probably at lot of others and to
claim such sensations may be necessary for getting enough TV viewers, but I'm reminded
a little bit too much of those newspapers with the big, fat letters on the frontpage.
Not really a guarantor for serious and unbiased research, to my opinion.
So, if the Ho/Go 229 was really intended as a "stealthplane", or just had quite a low RCS
accidentally, due to its aerodynamic layout will remain an open question, as long as more
serious research is done !

This is the final evidence, that the Horten brothers were secretly developing the stealth fighter with the lowest RCS possible and then they sold it to the Uncle Sam... :D

Regarding the TV document, I agree with the opinion written by Jemiba.

Attachments

• awko_side_big.jpg
    awko_side_big.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 205
I think it's noteworthy that the Northrop engineers mentioned a 20% decrease in detection range (compared to what? 109?), which I can believe. Looks like the decrease in reaction time came mostly from speed though, not stealth (something NatGeo is not keen to emphasize). it was also pretty cool to see the radar range and the simulation room.

The CGI parts stray from reality a lot. How are the 229s taking out the radar towers? those proved to be difficult targets even for pinpoint Stuka attacks during the battle of Britain. And they are using...cannon fire? Also, 229s turning with Spitfires? those early turbojets would have had VERY limited range at high speed and low altitude.

Anyway, good job Northrop - Boo National Geographic.

For British forum members. the documentary is being shown on National Geographic Channel at 9pm Tuesday 4th August.

This documentary is well worth watching! My dad (who worked on the SR71 in the 1970's) watched it and would not stop thanking me for showing it to him.

This is the final evidence, that the Horten brothers were secretly developing the stealth fighter with the lowest RCS possible and then they sold it to the Uncle Sam... :D

Regarding the TV document, I agree with the opinion written by Jemiba.
I like the hook for RCS testing and we're getting B-21's....