Holy Gemini !!

SAustin16 said:
Regarding the Gemini / Saturn V Rescue Vehicle...Does anyone know if there was a spacecraft with a heat shield inside the fairing behind the Gemini that the rescued party would enter the atmosphere in? There was certainly not enough room in the Gemini for more than the two astronauts.

Cheers from Texas

The Proposal had stretch Gemini capsule, like Big G, after two men cockpit is compartment with pace for three Astronauts, then enlarged Heat shield

Attachments

• gemlulsr.jpg
    gemlulsr.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 427
Michel,

Thank you very much for the answer and drawing. That Gemini Lander would make a fascinating desk model.

Landing a Gemini backwards on an "unprepared field" on the Moon would have taken a bold pilot. At least on the Apollo LM the pilots could look down.

Cheers from Texas

Carmelo's images on page one of this thread don't come up anymore. Well at least on my phone anyway.

XP67_Moonbat said:
Carmelo's images on page one of this thread don't come up anymore. Well at least on my phone anyway.

the problem the picture are uploaded at imageshack.us
somehow they lost those picture...

Hello All,

My favorite Giuseppe De Chiara Gemini "family tree" artwork is at the PDF link below. Guiseppe is one of my heroes for documenting so many spacecraft and aircraft so technically and artistically. Bravo Guiseppe!

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=35340.0;attach=597348

Cheers from Texas

Thanks SAustin16 you're really kind...

Ciao
Giuseppe

SAustin16 said:
Hello All,

My favorite Giuseppe De Chiara Gemini "family tree" artwork is at the PDF link below. Guiseppe is one of my heroes for documenting so many spacecraft and aircraft so technically and artistically. Bravo Guiseppe!

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=35340.0;attach=597348

Cheers from Texas

Time to clear the mess related to paraglider and all the other aerodynamic chutes: parasail, parafoil, sailwing...

PARAGLIDER
-semi-rigid, triangular wing. Was intensively tested for Gemini, 1961-64: NAA ultimately made it work, but too little, too late. Rogallo.

The Gemini paraglider development program was initiated in July 1961. Development continued through 1964 at which time the program was terminated. The program identified many problems. The system was heavy and required a large volume for stowage. Deployment was difficult and complex. Structural problems were encountered with the semi-rigid members. The wing was difficult to control and required a high degree of pilot proficiency to fly.

PARASAIL
-a semi-guided round chute, was the backup for Gemini land landings but abandonned, would need Soyuz like rockets for landing.

After these two: three more inventions: Rogallo's parawing, Jalbert's parafoil and Barish's sailwing.

All five concepts are detailed in the attached document: an excerpt from a 1300 page Hearing, courtesy of Google books.

Attachments

• Hearings-934-941.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 20
I have question on Lunar Gemini

Instead the Original Beryllium shingles
They had to replace Single Face Corrugated ablation panels.

are more information on Material or any picture of those panels design ?

Regarding the Gemini / Saturn V Rescue Vehicle...Does anyone know if there was a spacecraft with a heat shield inside the fairing behind the Gemini that the rescued party would enter the atmosphere in? There was certainly not enough room in the Gemini for more than the two astronauts.

Cheers from Texas
It is very small. They had one on display in Lincoln, NE when I was a teenager. Much bigger than Mercury. Might have been able to cram a third person in there. Maybe. It would have obviously required smaller astronauts in general, considering how short they were that is easier said then done. They didn't nickname them space jockeys for nuthing.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/space/comments/3ecdkm/size_comparison_of_apollo_gemini_and_mercury_from/

Funny how they insisted Gemini to pronounced Jiminy.

Last edited:
I've seen tiny lunar ascent vehicles... little more than chairs.

Anyone think to use that as a descent vehicle...then climb in a prepositioned Lunar Gemini for the trip up?

I found this Picture at Flickr
ca. 1963, McDonnell Aircraft Corp. photo no. D4C 15149
it from 1963 and show test at Mockup of Gemini Capsule.
unclear for EVA or Docking at MORL

source
View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/apollo4ever/53628587501/in/feed-146402711-1712112293-1-72157721713708526

53628587501_e028c07f4f_k.jpg

Going by size of hatch opening it seems that wearing a life support pack was not expected to be part of the process.
That hole is around 80 cm ø
Early EVA were with umbilical connection to capsule life support systems, so no life support pack.
but i have no idea how there do transfer between Gemini to MORL over that Hatch in Space...

Apollo was ugly but capable with that nose hatch.

The Johnson Sea Link had a divers' lock-out behind the self contained control sphere. Any similar ideas? Winged Gemini with a payload bay for EVAs behind?

Attachments

• 435356177_10162270446563072_8319809666061500768_n.jpeg
    435356177_10162270446563072_8319809666061500768_n.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Military orbital development system.jpeg
    Military orbital development system.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 36
  • hope01.jpg
    hope01.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 42