Hollywood Writers Strike is Over - and about AI

Status
Not open for further replies.
News from Next Week (TM)

Entire newsrooms gutted as AI commentators appear.

Actual human reporters have disappeared from TV screens across the country. Instead AI "digital replicas" have replaced live commentators. They will simply read the news that is selected and will have the appropriate facial movements and body language.

News from the Week After That (Registered Trademark)

Millions of people have cancelled TV subscriptions in protest. A typical comment is: "I don't want to pay to watch digital puppets on TV."
The first prediction? Very likely. the second? Bizarrely anti-human nature. Talking heads are just teleprompter-reading mouthpieces. Actual "commentators" like Tucker Carlson are personalities people like (or hate), but the guy reading the headlines? Whoever.

Walter Cronkite is *way* in the rear-view. Hell "virtual" news readers aren;t "news from next week," but news from several years ago.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n36C-jUJoi8

Here's one from five years ago. At least in English it really sucks, but that tech is *ancient* now. Hardly surprising that the Chinese are leading the way; the AI "news presenter" is the perfect mouthpiece for government propaganda, as it won;t slip up or do anything unwanted.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHPI1uH9llU

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J6gNX6qlTU

Interesting and relevant:

"Concerningly, people who thought that the AI faces were real most often were paradoxically the most confident their judgments were correct," Elizabeth Miller, study co-author and Ph.D. candidate at ANU, said.

"This means people who are mistaking AI imposters for real people don't know they are being tricked."

Raises issues *and* ideas. AI generated faces are wholly believable now. So how to respond to those people who think that humans won't become invested in "AI characters?" Simple: fake their reality. If you can have a synthetic actor star in the next remake of "Casablanca," you can also have that actor filmed on a night out on the town, dancing at the club, fishing off a boat, dating some other Popular Celebrity Unit. Hell, getting arrested for drunk driving. And how to respond to claims that these "news reports" are faked? You simply point out that the claims of fakeness are, in fact, fact.

People believe that Joe Biden and Tyler Perry and Brad Pitt are real. But how many people base their belief on not just having seen these people with their own eyes, but actually having interacted with them? Most celebrities exist for people *solely* through the media. Everything that most people experience about celebrities can be faked.

Ha Ha HaHa Ha Ha Ha HA Ha HA Ha Ha......

And I thought Bugs Bunny was funny.

You know what's going to happen? Have you looked at the details? A bunch of people watching TV and on their phones and all you will hear is:

"That's not him."

"That's not her."

People are not stupid. People who love celebrities will demand one thing: HONESTY. If they even think, for one second, that what they're seeing IS NOT the real thing then out the window, change the channel. Followed by:

Official Release

"Brad Pitt is here to clarify. That was him in the movie or TV commercial."

Followed by Angelina or whoever doing the same thing.

How about this: "I don't want no fake. I want the real thing."

To be followed by Brad and others appearing on talk shows to quell any rumors. And followed by clips of them out in public, meeting REAL< ACTUAL< Living fans for autographs and chit chat.

People dream about meeting their favorite celebrity not some digital fake.

Ha Ha HaHa Ha Ha Ha HA Ha HA Ha Ha......

And I thought Bugs Bunny was funny.

Bugs Bunny is not a real person. How could you be emotionally invested in *that?*

People are not stupid. People who love celebrities will demand one thing: HONESTY.
I... huh. I honestly can't tell if you're just trolling everybody now. Because if there's one thing people *don't* give a damn about, it;'s honesty in their celebrities.

its-still.gif

To be followed by Brad and others appearing on talk shows to quell any rumors. And followed by clips of them out in public, meeting REAL< ACTUAL< Living fans for autographs and chit chat.
To be followed by digital replicas of Brad and others denying the previous denial. The videos will include scenes of them out in "public" meeting reel *virtual* fans. But since you weren't there at the time, you won't know that.

News from Next Week (TM)

Entire newsrooms gutted as AI commentators appear.

Actual human reporters have disappeared from TV screens across the country. Instead AI "digital replicas" have replaced live commentators. They will simply read the news that is selected and will have the appropriate facial movements and body language.

News from the Week After That (Registered Trademark)

Millions of people have cancelled TV subscriptions in protest. A typical comment is: "I don't want to pay to watch digital puppets on TV."
Perhaps the amount of lost subscriptions does not compensate for the savings of eliminating all those failed actors who had taken refuge in television. Any fool can read a piece of paper, and even memorize it, but robots are always there available, at any time, and they don't strike, they don't get sick, they don't have hangovers on Mondays, they don't use stimulants, they don't have to be compensated when they stop working. The big entertainment corporations have already lost millions of viewers who left, disgusted, by the enormous abuses committed in the news to take down Trump. That was the moment the machine broke.

On the subject of celebrities and "honesty:" the recent kerfuffle over Meatcanyon and the Taylor Swift fans might be interesting. These people take their obsession with a celeb to a bizarre degree, to the point where they are clearly disconnected from reality. And if they're that far off plumb, who's honestly going to say they'd be any less obsessed over an AI "celebrity?" They've basically turned their idol into an Idol, an object of religious veneration. And that's not reality-based, that's nuts.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utKsrZo2CT0

Oh please. The news always focuses on the fringe. The majority of fans pay hundreds of dollars and want to see their ACTUAL< LIVING< HUMAN Celebrity. Concerts have been going on for a long time. Real people WANT to see REAL PEOPLE who have achieved. Whether it's going to the Opera or Taylor Swift, they want to see human achievement, NOT some lame digital copy. I'd never go to a book signing for a book written by an AI since no HUMAN author exists. The same with a concert.

Last edited:

AI-generated musicians and human artists share the stage in Hong Kong artist GayBird’s upcoming show​

By Zabrina Lo
Sep 11, 2023

“In my production, sometimes the actor will have a dialogue with the AI human heads; sometimes the musician and I will play music and the AI humans will sing together,” he says. “Each show will be different [depending on how the live interactions turn out].”

GayBird, who has more than a decade’s experience as a composer and is known for his experimental music, says that the Cantonese saying “你係咪人黎㗎” (“Are you human?”) inspired him to explore what it takes to be a human being in an AI-dominated world. “Now, your identity and your soul are so ‘alive’ in the digital world. We depend on the virtual world so much that we [almost] live in it. So, what is human and what will become of humanity in the future?”
Driven by these questions, he started incorporating AI into his artistic practice last year, using it to generate ideas or push creative boundaries in a way human artists aren’t physically able to. For instance, in this production, the AI humanoids can sing in six octaves whereas the vocal range of a real singer is limited to less than four."

Oh please. The news always focuses on the fringe. The majority of fans pay hundreds of dollars and want to see their ACTUAL< LIVING< HUMAN Celebrity. Concerts have been going on for a long time. Real people WANT to see REAL PEOPLE who have achieved.
Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 18-30-50 o-rly-owl.jpg (AVIF Image 780 × 439 pixels).png

Here's a YouTube video with 28 million views of a computer generated "hologram" of Tupac performing "live" in 2012. Tupac died in 1996:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJE8pfPfVRo

An equally dead Michael Jackson "live" on stage:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5OnW06m0Jk

And the *entirely* computer generated character "Hatsune Miku" performing "live" for an appreciative crowd of fans, of which "she" has a great many:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEaBqiLeCu0

Meanwhile, back at the AI,

UnitedHealth uses AI model with 90% error rate to deny care, lawsuit alleges​

For the largest health insurer in the US, AI's error rate is like a feature, not a bug.​

Beth Mole - 11/16/2023, 5:37 PM

UnitedHealthcare, the largest health insurance company in the US, is allegedly using a deeply flawed AI algorithm to override doctors' judgments and wrongfully deny critical health coverage to elderly patients. This has resulted in patients being kicked out of rehabilitation programs and care facilities far too early, forcing them to drain their life savings to obtain needed care that should be covered under their government-funded Medicare Advantage Plan.

That's all according to a lawsuit filed this week in the US District Court for the District of Minnesota. The lawsuit is brought by the estates of two deceased people who were denied health coverage by UnitedHealth. The suit also seeks class-action status for similarly situated people, of which there may be tens of thousands across the country.

Hmm, interesting,
The lawsuit lands alongside an investigation by Stat News that largely backs the lawsuit's claims. The investigation's findings stem from internal documents and communications the outlet obtained, as well as interviews with former employees of NaviHealth, the UnitedHealth subsidiary that developed the AI algorithm called nH Predict.

When the novelty wears off...
I recall someone saying something similar about the internet. Yet here we are. Hell, here *you* are, spending a great deal of time and emotional capital arguing with someone online. Someone you've never met. You don't know what I look like or sound like. You could walk right past me tomorrow and never know. But then... you would never know if I was an AI. All you're getting from me is text on a screen, which is the bare minimum that an AI can do.

UnitedHealth uses AI model with 90% error rate to deny care, lawsuit alleges​

For the largest health insurer in the US, AI's error rate is like a feature, not a bug.​

Which should show that AI might only be as good (for your own particular perception of good) as its makers intend it to be.
Less 'What you see is what you get', more 'You asked for it, you got it'.

Which should show that AI might only be as good (for your own particular perception of good) as its makers intend it to be.
Less 'What you see is what you get', more 'You asked for it, you got it'.
This is no different than human employees and contractors. Malicious compliance and quiet quitting can produce the same results. That and hiring the less qualified for lower cost.

... so don't expect any improvement of your treatment by institutions (companies, government, et cetera) because of their use of AI.

People are still calling AI something to be afraid of. Why? Are they afraid the military will finally build a Terminator? Keep in mind, in the first two movies we saw the 'bad' Terminator, followed by the good/protector Terminator, who had to fight another bad Terminator with limited self healing and the ability to modify its shape and liquefy.

In the concert movie, Stop Making Sense (1984), David Byrne walks on stage carrying a guitar and tape recorder. He puts the tape recorder down, turns it on, and plays his guitar while the tape provides accompanying music. No one will go to a concert to see a tape recorder, even a glorified tape recorder.

-1 for AI.

I'd like to take this opportunity to make my annual plea for a one million dollar donation... to myself. However, with inflation still high, I've decided to reduce my request to 500,000 USD. No Bitcoin...

"No one will go to a concert to see a tape recorder, even a glorified tape recorder."

Just a few posts after several videos of concertgoers going nuts watching dead performers.

I went to a concert for player piano in the eighties. The composer, Conlon Nancarrow sat on the first row. One of the theatre's stage hands threw the switch that started the piano. An impressive torrent of musical notes started, thunderous applause followed. Mr Nancarrow first pointed to the stage hand, but after a few moments had to admit the cheers were for him all along. Wonderful man.
View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=LFz2lCEkjFk

Probably not to everyone's taste, but I loved every second of. It felt like being inside a very loud pinball machine.

Anyone want to read a Hollywood contract? Keep in mind, the following is a DRAFT. It's not real until signed. To save everyone the mental anguish of reading the whole thing, just skip down to number 29. (On page 60 of the document.)

That contract is clearly science fiction, since it suggests that AIs will not only be technically successful at replicating humans, but also that people will want to watch them. We've all been clearly informed that neither of those are or ever will be possible.

On the subject of celebrities and "honesty:" the recent kerfuffle over Meatcanyon and the Taylor Swift fans might be interesting. These people take their obsession with a celeb to a bizarre degree, to the point where they are clearly disconnected from reality.
The MAGA cult comes readily to mind. And yes, please, by all means, mods feel free to fire/delete away, if you deem it fit to do so...

AI-generated musicians and human artists share the stage in Hong Kong artist GayBird’s upcoming show​

By Zabrina Lo
Sep 11, 2023

“In my production, sometimes the actor will have a dialogue with the AI human heads; sometimes the musician and I will play music and the AI humans will sing together,” he says. “Each show will be different [depending on how the live interactions turn out].”

GayBird, who has more than a decade’s experience as a composer and is known for his experimental music, says that the Cantonese saying “你係咪人黎㗎” (“Are you human?”) inspired him to explore what it takes to be a human being in an AI-dominated world. “Now, your identity and your soul are so ‘alive’ in the digital world. We depend on the virtual world so much that we [almost] live in it. So, what is human and what will become of humanity in the future?”
Driven by these questions, he started incorporating AI into his artistic practice last year, using it to generate ideas or push creative boundaries in a way human artists aren’t physically able to. For instance, in this production, the AI humanoids can sing in six octaves whereas the vocal range of a real singer is limited to less than four."
Sure, trust China with "quality" copies of technologies that originated in the Western hemisphere...

Last edited:
Perhaps the amount of lost subscriptions does not compensate for the savings of eliminating all those failed actors who had taken refuge in television. Any fool can read a piece of paper, and even memorize it, but robots are always there available, at any time, and they don't strike, they don't get sick, they don't have hangovers on Mondays, they don't use stimulants, they don't have to be compensated when they stop working. The big entertainment corporations have already lost millions of viewers who left, disgusted, by the enormous abuses committed in the news to take down Trump. That was the moment the machine broke.
Thanks, Justo - your post (assuming that it was really authored by an actual human person rather than by any malicious Artificial Intelligence/Alien Intelligence (a.k.a. AI/AI), or even just by Russian troll farms, helps me a bit to understand the current global drive towards authoritarianism - viva caudillo?

Last edited:
This is no different than human employees and contractors. Malicious compliance and quiet quitting can produce the same results. That and hiring the less qualified for lower cost.
And the resulting improvement is - significantly increased consistency in screwing people?

Last edited:
People are still calling AI something to be afraid of. Why? Are they afraid the military will finally build a Terminator? Keep in mind, in the first two movies we saw the 'bad' Terminator, followed by the good/protector Terminator, who had to fight another bad Terminator with limited self healing and the ability to modify its shape and liquefy.
If hollywood flics were even close to real, we'd have lunar bases by now and sent a human expedition to Jupiter, so no, terminator movies are no yardstick whatsoever with respect to AI or any other reality.

And the resulting improvement is - significantly improved consistency in screwing people?
There's no law of nature that says change needs to be in a direction you think is "good." 'You asked for it, you got it' is often filled to the bring with unintended consequences, and any system not actively incentivizing doing things the hard way will try to do things the lazy way.

For no readily apparent reason I'm reminded of Mencken: "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

These people take their obsession with a celeb to a bizarre degree, to the point where they are clearly disconnected from reality.
Have you ever heard of some New York City slicker going by the moniker of Donald Trump? I think you might be on to something... (and yes, moderators, cancel me as you see fit...)

By Zabrina Lo
Sep 11, 2023

Surely, we all must bow to the hegemony of the Chinese mainland communist party (which rules Hong Kong with an iron fist barely veiled in a thin velvet glove) when it comes to setting global cultural trends.

Bugs Bunny is not a real person. How could you be emotionally invested in *that?*
I dunno - are you? Because while I used to chuckle about the Bugs Bunny cartoons (although I'm really more of a Johnny Bravo kinda guy), emotional investment really never came to my mind for these or any other cartoon shows, including, but not limited to, The Jetsons, The Flintstones, The Simpsons, Grim and Evil, Futurama, Dexter's Lab, Rocko's Modern Life, The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, or any other funny cartoons. But please, feel free to lay out to an INTP how this emotional enjoyment of cartoons that you speak of would work in real life?

Last edited:
As does the "woke" cult... "Trans for Palestine"and other forms of massive cognitive dissonance.
"I dug a tunnel under your house, and you fell into it. Mistakes were made on both sides." King of the Hill, Season 7, Episode 7, The Texas Skilsaw Massacre. I don't believe in karma, but apparently it is a female canine, to use a polite term. There's cause and effect, and then there's false moral equivalency.

There's no law of nature that says change needs to be in a direction you think is "good." 'You asked for it, you got it' is often filled to the bring with unintended consequences, and any system not actively incentivizing doing things the hard way will try to do things the lazy way.

For no readily apparent reason I'm reminded of Mencken: "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
Which brings me back to my very modest proposal of restricting voting rights in *any* actual *qualified* democracy to people who can score at least 100 in a validated IQ test. GIGO applies accordingly to political results.

I'd like to take this opportunity to make my annual plea for a one million dollar donation... to myself. However, with inflation still high, I've decided to reduce my request to 500,000 USD. No Bitcoin...
If this is a bidding war, I'll quintuple your request for the highest bidder :)!

Status
Not open for further replies.