Hollywood Writers Strike is Over - and about AI

Status
Not open for further replies.
You will buy the AI or, as seems more likely, pay for it by subscription. The AI would have to make *you* happy, but it wouldn't need to make movies that anybody else likes.

Again, video games: lots of people spend large sums on their games, and devote many hours to them and, presumably, enjoy the hell out of them. And while some twitch streamers make bank streaming their gameplay, the games companies make their money by just selling the players the games.
Well, all I can say is I've never bought a video game, and I really don't think I never will, and the same goes for AI, including Alexa, Siri, and their siblings and successors. My concern is that at some point hosting any standalone AI may no longer be an alternative or choice, but rather some thoroughly networked version may effectively be a requirement to participate in society, complete with real time reporting back of all kinds of information to whoever runs the system.

Last edited:
Is she acting, or is it just film of her doing what she's doing? The one means "movie star," the other means "she's in a documentary."
I think there's *always* acting involved, whether she's on camera or even on stage or not. Mind you, it doesn't have to be *good* acting...

@Orionblamblam I saw Eric Cantona in Looking For Eric. Roger Ebert didn´t much care for it - he manages to mangle Cantona to Cantota! Three times! I'm not a professional movie critic, Eric is not a professional actor, but I bought the DVD to watch it again. And again.
I think lots of people - disclaimer: not me - will want to watch Taylor Swift in any movie because they think she's a star. A wild guess: you won't be one of them. They'll probably survive the two of us not joining them.

@Orionblamblam I saw Eric Cantona
Who?

I think lots of people - disclaimer: not me - will want to watch Taylor Swift in any movie because they think she's a star.
No doubt many will. But "pop stars" are somewhat fleeting. Robert Redford drew butts to seats for many years by acting. I suspect Taylor Swift would have the same sort of movie career that Britney Spears would have had, had she gone that route: a couple that make some money, then a quick fade, followed by TitTok dances into utter madness.

"Star Wars" helped make Harrison Ford a "Movie Star." You could sell a movie just by putting his name at the top of the poster. What "movie stars" who can drag you to the theater just by their being listed with top billing came from the sequel trilogy? How about from the Marvel movies, the biggest money making machine in movie history (at least until recently)?

I'm really getting tired of you 'adjusting reality to fit your worldview.'

@Orionblamblam I saw Eric Cantona in Looking For Eric. Roger Ebert didn´t much care for it - he manages to mangle Cantona to Cantota! Three times! I'm not a professional movie critic, Eric is not a professional actor, but I bought the DVD to watch it again. And again.
I think lots of people - disclaimer: not me - will want to watch Taylor Swift in any movie because they think she's a star. A wild guess: you won't be one of them. They'll probably survive the two of us not joining them.
Make that three :D.

Somebody I guessed you hadn't heard of :cool:
My point: you would not be tempted to see a flick just because
1) Taylor Swift is in the cast
2) Eric Cantona got another chance just to be himself
Millions and millons would queue for 1).
I wouldn't be in a queue at all for 2) - I'd probably have the theatre to myself, happily snacking on crunchy bits without bothering anyone.

Have a look at the box office figures for The Eras Tour. Then, check who's appearing in it.
That's a "documentary" of sorts, like when Algore did his little PowerPoint presentation some years back. Didn't make either of them "movie stars." Let's see how Taylor Swift does when she stars as Joan of Arc or Harriet Tubman or whatever.

There' a difference. Of course, all forms of "celebrity" may soon be replaced with AI versions. It's not like that would be unprecedented.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfhuj60cJjk

Stay weird, Japan.

Are you being paid to promote AI? Comic books are made by real people. Animation is made by real people. You are talking about fake, fake reality, which I think no one will want.

Are you being paid to promote AI?
A: I'm not being paid.
B: I'm not promoting it. I'm *warning* about it. I've told you this repeatedly. You refuse to understand that. this indicates certain cognitive impairments on your part. Perhaps you can download an AI-based psychoanalyst app.

Comic books are made by real people. Animation is made by real people. You are talking about fake, fake reality, which I think no one will want.
Yeah, and nobody will want a loud mechanical horse, an AR-15 with 30-round magazines or a computer with more than 200 k of memory.

A: I'm not being paid.
B: I'm not promoting it. I'm *warning* about it. I've told you this repeatedly. You refuse to understand that. this indicates certain cognitive impairments on your part. Perhaps you can download an AI-based psychoanalyst app.

Yeah, and nobody will want a loud mechanical horse, an AR-15 with 30-round magazines or a computer with more than 200 k of memory.

Warned? When did this happen? All I'm hearing is: It's the greatest thing since sliced bread! It'll sweep the world, man!

As if Human Beings (TM) have no way of stopping it. As if Human Beings are incapable. That's crap. But an election year approaches and the list of things that will destroy EVERYONE needs to get longer so some politician can save everyone.

And then you go on about things people *want.* You think people will want and like AI? How about those listening devices people have? If the government forced you to have one, you'd revolt. But when a private company like Amazon convinces people they should have one because of how useful and helpful it is, then boom, they end up in people's houses.

All I'm hearing is: It's the greatest thing since sliced bread!
Never said that. I said it'll do its job better than humans will, or at least in vastly greater volume at vastly lower cost.

It'll sweep the world, man!

Yes? So will the next pandemic, Carrington Event, gamma ray burst, supervolcanic ash cloud, communist revolution, jihadi takeover. Successfully covering the planet doesn't equal "well, that's wonderful."

And then you go on about things people *want.* You think people will want and like AI?

They already do. "Hey, Siri?"

Never said that. I said it'll do its job better than humans will, or at least in vastly greater volume at vastly lower cost.

Yes? So will the next pandemic, Carrington Event, gamma ray burst, supervolcanic ash cloud, communist revolution, jihadi takeover. Successfully covering the planet doesn't equal "well, that's wonderful."

They already do. "Hey, Siri?"

I wonder how the design team handled indoor use issues.

"So, we need to address some problems."

Problems? It's the best thing we ever designed.

"The dog starts barking next to it, the sound of the TV in the background. Stuff like that. The device needs to tune out sounds like that."

Why?

"Why? It needs to be useful and should not be activated by non-relevant sounds around it."

Oh, yeah. Those sounds.

I guess I'll never know...

yoda-that-is-why-you-fail.gif

Real-time "beauty filters" have been around for a while, but the filters here produce several distinct "characters" who all look pretty convincing at this scale. Soon it'll be a snap to de-age actors... and to utterly replace them.

Dino De Laurentis dubbed over Sam Jones' voice in "Flash Gordon" as an FU to Sam, because Sam apparently was a jerk. How long before an actors *face* is replaced as an FU? The last movie Kevin spacey acted in before his career kerploded went back and re-shot all his scenes with General Chang, because the producers didn't want Spacey anymore. Now they could replace him digitally with apparent ease. I suspect the actor will still get paid, probably credited... but he won't actually appear in the movie or promotional material.

View: https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1724827365459611710

I suppose it'll also be possible for actors to demand this be done if they decide that the movie sucks. "The Marvels 2: Starring Alan Smithee, Alan Smithee and Alan Smithee."

Real-time "beauty filters" have been around for a while, but the filters here produce several distinct "characters"

I see this as a good thing...having Karloff's monster face on Strange's body...so Bela's Dracula can interact.

A Marx Brothers vs Three Stooges short could be had.

And of course actual humans won;t be needed for the faces... AI can create perfectly believable, wholly artificial faces now.

View: https://twitter.com/Visionaledge/status/1708837990494003307
Makes me wonder (nay, anticipate!) when the first lawsuit might hit the courts where an individual will file a claim alleging that their actual likeness is a match with an AI creation, according to facial recognition software. Strange new world indeed...

Makes me wonder (nay, anticipate!) when the first lawsuit might hit the courts where an individual will file a claim alleging that their actual likeness is a match with an AI creation, according to facial recognition software. Strange new world indeed...
Hollywood already has an answer to that:
"This is a work of fiction. Any similarities to persons living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental."

Been running that line for decades, I believe.

Hollywood already has an answer to that:
"This is a work of fiction. Any similarities to persons living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental."

Been running that line for decades, I believe.
True. But living in Southern California, I have a hunch that any number of professional ambulance chasers specializing in entertainment related litigation won't be stopped by a measly disclaimer like that.

True. But living in Southern California, I have a hunch that any number of professional ambulance chasers specializing in entertainment related litigation won't be stopped by a measly disclaimer like that.

It's a lot more complicated than that. The actual reality is far worse than that. Fake News at 11.

News from Next Week (TM)

Entire newsrooms gutted as AI commentators appear.

Actual human reporters have disappeared from TV screens across the country. Instead AI "digital replicas" have replaced live commentators. They will simply read the news that is selected and will have the appropriate facial movements and body language.

News from the Week After That (Registered Trademark)

Millions of people have cancelled TV subscriptions in protest. A typical comment is: "I don't want to pay to watch digital puppets on TV."

Status
Not open for further replies.