HMS Aurora Chinese Conversion

World B4

my bad y'all
Reaction score
Wiki sayeth that the cruiser, at this point called the Huang He, was taken to be converted into a salvage ship. Since over 1/12 of the budget was spent before the project was cancelled, I hope there is some info out there on the specs and design?
"The empty hulk spent the rest of her life as an accommodation and warehouse ship, being subsequently renamed Huang He (Yellow River) in 1959, when it was transferred to Shanghai on 27 October of that year to be converted to a salvage ship at a planned budget of 3 million ¥. After spending 276,000 ¥, the conversion project was cancelled, and the ship was once again transferred, this time to Tianjin"

I don't know the version about the salvage ship
But there are plans to rebuilt to a light cruiser
QQ图片20230404000250.jpg
The Chinese side has three different schemes
Plan one , rebuild as a light cruiser,The original 6-inch main gun was maintained to enhance anti-aircraft firepower
Plan two, also rebuilt as a light cruiser,But the main gun was changed to four twin 130 turrets
Plan Three, rebuild as a training ship
the PLAN wants most is Plan one,Plan one and two both need of 6~8 Soviet 100mm AA guns and some 37mm AA guns
The ship has a speed of at least 29 knots and a range of 4,000 nautical miles(cruising speed unknown)
QQ图片20230404000325.jpg
But the Soviets said it would be difficult to repair the 6-inch gun,So the Soviets proposed rebuilding four twin-130m guns and eight twin-57mm anti-aircraft guns,speed at least 30 knots
It costs 200 million rubles, four to five years,Chinese thinks it's too expensive(The total cost of all the Sino-Soviet naval treaties in 1953 was only 600 million rubles)
So the plan was abandoned

I don't remember where I got this, but its a very nice rendering of proposed rebuilt Aurora by the Soviets with 4 twin 130mm turrets and 8 twin 57mm anti-aircraft guns.

Attachments

• Communist conversion of Chungking Aurora 1950.png
    Communist conversion of Chungking Aurora 1950.png
    426.3 KB · Views: 75