PD-214 Security Class Maritime Administration conceptual mobilisation ship 1974-1981

A Tentative Fleet Plan

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Source: p474-p475, US Amphibious Ships and Craft, Norman Friedman

The Center of Naval Analyses (CNA) compared a number of different ship designs for the role of the Maritime Prepositioning Squadron (MPS). One of these was the PD-214 "Security Class" (C8-M-MA134), a conceptual mobilisation ship, the design of which was started by the Maritime Administration in 1974, with the preliminary design being completed in 1978, and the contract design was being completed in 1980, at the time CNA's MPS study was taking place. As the navy had no MPS design to hand, the PD-214 was to be modified to meet the requirement. PD-214 was a break-bulk ship due to the assumption that it might have deliver cargo to areas without elaborate container facilities, and some military equipment including tanks could not be carried inside standard containers.

In August of 1980, NAVSEA began to modify the Jumbo PD-214 (C8-M-MA134J) into a mobilisation ship referred to as TAKX. Defence features included decks strengthened for 60-ton tanks, a stern ramp and heavy cranes to permit the ship to unload herself. Lighterage would be 4x powered causeways, 6x unpowered causeways, 2x LCM(8)s and a side-warping tug to install the necessary bulk fuel distribution system. The ship would have a CH-53-size helicopter pad and could offload LVTs down her stern ramp. (I've placed the changes in dimensions and capacity into the table. The original in Friedman only compared the PD-214, Jumbo PD-214, the Maine and the Waterman Line's modified Maine)

In August of 1980 it was expected that the first TAKX would be included in the FY81 program, and requests for proposals were expected shortly. It would take 12 Maines or 15 PD-214s to support the three Marine Amphibious Brigades that made up an MPS. Estimated operating and acquisition costs for FY81-87 were $4.1 and $4.3 billion respectively, with the necessary squadrons being placed into service in 1983, 1985 and 1987.

By 1980, the four-year defence plan called for the conversion of 4 Maines and buying 8 PD-214s. The original plan had been to buy 15 TAKXs, at a unit price of $103.5 million, but numbers were cut when this rose above $174 million. As submitted, the FY81 budget called for a lead ship plus $33 million for the long-lead items of a second. Congress initially authorised two TAKXs, but then stalled after several shipping lines saw this program as a way to offload surplus shipping, including the Waterman Line's three enlarged Maines (originally built for trade with the Soviet Union, which was now collapsing after the invasion of Afghanistan) and Sealand's eight SL-7s. Apparently several Congressmembers confused Maritime Prepositioning and Sealift requirements, the Navy budget was cut and was told to choose between the SL-7s and Prepositioning ships. The SL-7s were not in the original FY81 program, and were not authorised by the House, but were pushed hard by the Senate, and thus survived in the Defence program. In May 1981, the Reagan Administration killed off TAKX, as competing priorities meant there was no money for it, and decided to convert and charter civilian ships to fill the MPS role.

PD-214 (C8-M-MA134)Jumbo PD-214 (C8-M-MA134J)TAKXMaine (C7-S-95A)Waterman (C7-S-133A)
Length (ft)560/609670/719831ft 6in oa640640
Beam (ft)9797105.5102105.5
Draft (ft)3030NA3233
Displacement (tons)28,87037,80020,860 (light), 48,860 (loaded)33,76538,500
Power (SHP)22,50022,500NA37,00032,000
Speed (kt)21.521.5NA2320.9
Capacity (sq ft)NANA170,000144,77062,025
Dry Capacity (cu ft)NANA400,000158,800*1,039,550
Liquid Capacity (cu ft)NANA(from text 1.9 million gallons) approx 254,000 cu ft28,33013,229
Lengths for the PD-214s are between perpendiculars and overall respectively.
*Dry cargo can be substituted for vehicles, thereby increasing cu ft to 153,360.

Does anyone happen to know more about the PD-214 mobilisation ship, or TAKX?

Last edited:
What's a "mobilization ship"? Also, do you own the book, or do you have the PDF copy that's been going around for the past couple of years?

What's a "mobilization ship"?

It's a ship design intended to be rapidly manufactured in wartime or the runup to a conflict, and to replace wartime.losses after a war was over. Basically a modern version of the Liberty ship concept.

I think in the case of PD-214, they also hoped that shippers would adopt the concept in peacetime, creating a pool of ships that could be readily adapted to military use in wartime. In practice, they ended up paying shippers to add militarily useful features to their own designs instead and subsidized their operations.

What's a "mobilization ship"? Also, do you own the book, or do you have the PDF copy that's been going around for the past couple of years?
I own the book.
Where did you get it from? All the copies I find are like $300.

I can't speak for ATFP but I have one as well. I bought it new, when it was still in print. These days. there isn't much supply, though Abe Books is showing one for just under $200 and eBay has one for $135.

It looks like the Naval Institute Press is doing reprints of some of Dr. Friedman's other design history books. No Amphibious Ships yet but it might be coming sometime. (Personally, I'm looking for "US Small Combatants" but the demand can't be strong enough to support a reprint.)

Last edited:
Try bookfinder, or abebooks. Prices start at ± $200, or, as TomS finds, $135 on ebay.

I will point out that I did pay a ridiculous amount both for Amphibious Ships and Craft and Small Combatants, but at this point they are by far my most-read Friedmans, I would suggest waiting for a reprint, hopefully there will be enough demand for USNI to consider doing so.

I will point out that I did pay a ridiculous amount both for Amphibious Ships and Craft and Small Combatants, but at this point they are by far my most-read Friedmans, I would suggest waiting for a reprint, hopefully there will be enough demand for USNI to consider doing so.
Yeah, and I don’t have that kind of money. Looks like I’ll be getting my first job this summer then! :)

Yeah, and I don’t have that kind of money. Looks like I’ll be getting my first job this summer then! :)
I got my copy of "Small Combatants" at a very reasonable price. It was not a pristine copy, and I had to wait several years before I saw it at a price I was willing to pay. But I got it. Just keep looking around.