• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Hirth Lastentrager Bf 109G-6 Cargo Glider Project ?

Stargazer2006

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
Very interesting! I guess the idea was to keep the 109's fuel at its maximum until the time of the mission. Cool concept.

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
It is loaded with what seems to be standard 500 kg bombs complete with fins, so I suppose
they were intended just to be dropped from the glider ? Or was it a kind of gliding bomb`, with
the bombs just as readily available warheads ?

hesham

Reaction score
Hi,

as I heard,this idea also drafted to anther airplane,rather than Bf.109,who can confirm on
that ?.

DWG

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Couple of points, my German isn't great, but 'antriebe sollte' clearly should better be translated as 'driven by', 'powered by' or perhaps 'carried by', 'burdened with' completely reverses the relationship.

More importantly, there's a dimensional inconsistency between the side and front views. In the side view the fuselage of the glider and the pylon are of roughly equal depth. The front view appears to show the glider fuselage as twice the depth of the pylon.

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I agree to both points !
The reason for the inconsistency with regards to the front view may be, that the internal
allocation of bombs and fuel cell in the glider seems to have been added later. The bombs
aren't even shown with a circular cross section, but just drawn in freehand.

Attachments

DWG

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
For that matter I've just noticed the pylon/glider fuselage is offset to the left in the front view, while the wings appear to have different angles of dihedral.

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Indeed ! I think, it's more a kind of quite hastily sketched idea, not really a technical drawing.