Here's that "unbuilt variant" 747 display model you all've been drooling over...

Orionblamblam

ACCESS: USAP
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
Boeing 747-400 Model Airplane with stand
747-1.jpeg

747-2.jpeg

whaaaat.jpeg

If he had a sense of humor he'd have it listed as a rare inverted wing variant ::)

Ah yes, the USB-equipped STOL 747. Tim Clark wanted these for the Dubai-LAX run so he could skip LAX entirely and land in the HOV lane on the 405. Harry Stonecipher wouldn't pull the trigger so Airbus beat them out with a Vulcain-equipped A380.

Hey, at home in my office I did the same with an Aer Lingus Airbus A330. :D
A quick what-if for dummies... ;D

Here's another one from eBay:

Attachments

• Edrocnoc.jpg
    Edrocnoc.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 74
I remember reading a few years ago about some irritating little fad people had of taking photos of their eBay items with something inappropriate but subtle in the frame (most famous example is the naked guy photographing a shiny tea kettle). Perhaps that's what's going on with these... people putting the models together in a clearly wrong way, on purpose. Let's face it, these display models are pretty bland and would not get people talking normally... "Look how stupid" at least gets people looking.

At $700 opening bid, this guy is probably just trying to sell something he knows nothing about and is too lazy or dumb to look up. Please don't give these people too much credit. Pure, unadulterated stupidity is in ample supply on eBay.

Here's another funny one, especially when the seller stated his dad had worked on the Cheyenne (sorry about the photo quality -- not mine).

Attachments

• Lockheed GunPropCopter.jpg
    Lockheed GunPropCopter.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 69
And here's an unusual LEM model. The seller is someone with a keen understanding of engineering. And gravity.

Attachments

• LEM.jpg
    LEM.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 18