Help Required

This is how my SPQ-5 looks like:

1603216455731.png

And my SPG-55:
1603216564864.png

I use Paint Tool SAI for my ship drawings

Does anybody know if any side and top drawings exists for the WW2 era US SG radars?

74d271785a1f50eefc51317c52a29016.jpg

There seems to be twin 40mm Mark VIII 2-pdr Pom-pom mountings were produced prior and early WW2, though these were land mountings.
Does anybody have more photos? (Or even drawings??? )
I wonder why not it was mounted on ships or why not use a simpler twin mounting essentially a half quad with the upper pairs removed?
Some British cruiser export designs were offered with twin Pom-Poms in the 1930's. Maybe somebody knows more?

Last edited:
There was something of a shortage of those guns, I believe.

Last edited:
Hello Guys!
Some of you might know me through my drawings of warships ( I draw mostly WW2 or WW1 but occasionally Cold war ones as well) and I wish to ask for your help!

I could use information about what kind of guidance radars are required for these missile systems:

RIM-2 Terrier
RIM-8 Talos
RGM-15 Regulus II
RIM-24 Tartar
UGM/RGM-27 Polaris I (RGM I assume for the surface ship launched version envisioned for a few projects)
RIM-50 Typhon MR and LR

If possible in chronological order as I know multiple radars were used during the lifetime of a missile system.
Drawings especially top-down ones would be the best both for Radars and for the launcher systems for these various missiles if anybody have them.

RIM-2 Terrier:

AN/SPQ-5 (Boston, Providence, early Farragut conversions);
AN/SPG-55 (Farragut, Long Beach, Kitty Hawk, Belknap, Leahy, Bainbridge, Truxtun).
Mk 25 Mod 7 (Gyatt).

Boston, Providence and Gyatt were *only* capable of using the wing-controlled RIM-2A and RIM-2B; remainder could take any Terrier-family missile up through SM-1ER, and most were given NTU and could take SM-2ER. Those Farraguts originally fitted with SPQ-5 were later refitted with SPG-55; this was never done to the Boston and Providence-class cruisers.

RIM-8 Talos:

AN/SPG-49 + AN/SPW-2 (all ships)

At least two fire control radar replacement efforts were started and abandoned; AN/SPG-56, and AN/SPG-51E. Neither were adopted.

RGM-15 Regulus II:

Ship's Inertial Navigation System (SINS). Regulus and Regulus II were targeted through inertial navigation only.

RIM-24 Tartar:

AN/SPG-51 (all ships); supplemented by AN/SPG-60.

UGM-27 Polaris:

Ship's Inertial Navigation System (SINS), XN6 Autonavigator, Transit/NAVSAT satellite navigation, AN/UYK-1.

RIM-50 Typhon MR/RIM-55 Typhon LR:

AN/SPG-59

Air search radars varied dramatically, sometimes within classes. Common ones include SPS-29, SPS-43, SPS-48 and SPS-49, most of which were used for all of the Terrier/Tartar/Talos family at some point or other.

Since then I've found/draw all the radars for these missile systems and I would like to add the SPQ-2 director radar for the Regulus 1-2 missiles used on the Baltimores which carried this weapon and envisioned for the Long Beach early version and which is essentially a modified late/post WW2 SP radar.

There was also an early Talos illuminator radar without designation and from the sktech drawings, it looks like an enlarged SPG-51.

But thank you still