Heinkel He 162 projects and variants

Does anyone have any cross section pictures of this aircraft please?

Were any prototype or gliders of the more unusual variants (like the He 162D) constructed?

From, Monogram Close-Up 11 Volksjager

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    369.4 KB · Views: 160
  • 2.png
    2.png
    201.9 KB · Views: 159
  • 3.png
    3.png
    246.7 KB · Views: 148
  • 4.png
    4.png
    410 KB · Views: 175
Is there a version of the B-1 other than the pulsejet versions? Wikipedia reports that there is a version that had an enlarged fuselage, the hes 011, and a different wing shape. To be clear, I am not trying to use wikipedia as a major source, but I think it is worth investigating.

Is there a version of the B-1 other than the pulsejet versions? Wikipedia reports that there is a version that had an enlarged fuselage, the hes 011, and a different wing shape. To be clear, I am not trying to use wikipedia as a major source, but I think it is worth investigating.

All versions and variants are exhaustively covered in my book Secret Projects of the Luftwaffe: Heinkel He 162. In writing it, I went to the archives and found every scrap available on the He 162's variants to determine what variants there actually were, what they consisted of and when they were created, based on wartime documents only.
In short, there was no 'B-1'. Only three variants were assigned an official designation: A-1, A-2 and S (two versions both with the same designation - the glider S and the jet-powered two-seater S). All others remained projects because Karl-Otto Saur would not give permission for series production of any further sub-variants.
Regarding the enlarged fuselage, two prototypes, M25 and M26 each had an extended fuselage. The precise length of this extension is unclear but it would appear to have been 450mm.
Regarding the HeS 011, the P 1073 was of course originally designed with that engine in mind. The first 14 variants (P 1073.01-01 to P 1073.01-14), worked on between July and August 1944, were all powered by either one or two HeS 011s (with the Jumo 004 C as an option for the first few designs. It quickly stopped being an option when it was cancelled).
In September, a downgraded version of P 1073 with a BMW 003 instead of an HeS 011 was offered as Heinkel's Volksjaeger entry - and won.
Heinkel hoped that eventually the He 162 could be upgraded to include the HeS 011 and a couple of designs were wind tunnel tested (see p118-119 of my book). These had swept wings (one had forward swept wings, the other rearward swept) and V-tails without end plates.
Going back to the earliest days of the He 162, after the A-1, A-2 and S, the next project was the reconnaissance version - the He 162 Gefechtsaufklaerer. Next was the He 162 with Panzerblitz, then the He 162 with Jumo 004. Then there was the He 162 with BMW 003 R and then the three pulsejet variants.
Interviewed immediately after the war, Ernst Heinkel and Karl Frydag outlined four further steps they had intended to take to develop the standard 003-powered He 162, plans for the 004-powered version and plans for the HeS 011 powered version. This document is included in my book as Appendix II.

Last edited:
I'm really intrigued that one of the best known German aircraft ever can still be a subject of interrogation and hold so many mysteries after nearly 70 years and so much research done on the subject! I guess that's part of why I love this forum...
Despite Germanys notoriously excellent record keeping, the end of the war got a bit hectic so there are some aircraft developed towards the end of the war that lack much information. The Ju 390 is a prime example, and of course it seems the He 162 still has some mysteries up its sleeve... I agree, investigating into these stories on the forums always seems to be fascinating

Military Aviation History said:
He 162 - Germany's Desperation Fighter
The Heinkel He 162 "Volksjäger" was a last ditch effort by the Luftwaffe to field a large number of jet fighters to stem the tide in the air. Join me as I explore this history, was this plan ever going to work?
Video:
View: https://youtu.be/S6LGGFxdjEI?si=4RaazDUNXohgLFIK

Code:
https://youtu.be/S6LGGFxdjEI?si=4RaazDUNXohgLFIK
The book "Secret Projects of the Luftwaffe: Heinkel He 162" by Dan Sharp is also mentioned and highly recommended in this video. :)