Hawker Siddeley HS149-07 Airliner

O

Overkiller

Following expressions of interest here, I am posting up a few pictures of a model I have made of the Hawker Siddley HS149-07 airliner, rather than dilute that particular thread with off topic modelling items.

The HS149 was a four engined, long range derivative of the basic Airbus A300B, planned to be powered by 4 General Electric " quiet" engines of 27,500lb thrust each. Two versions were studied, the HS149-06, with up to 261 passengers in an all inclusive layout at eight abreast, and the HS149-07 with up to 231 passengers in an all inclusive layout.

The drawing I used as a guide to making this model is in the excellent book "Stuck on the drawing board" by Richard Payne, and is for the -07, so that is the variant I have built.

Main differences from the A300B, were, besides the obvious one of 4 engines, a shortened forward fuselage, and the wing from the stillborn A300B-7 version. This increased the wing structural box by one frame pitch and added a 8ft 6in wing root insert. The outer flaps were deleted and the inboard leading edge modified to have a 1ft 6in extension. This study lead directly to the Airbus TA-11 study, which eventually emerged as the A340, so in effect, this is direct lineal ancestor of the Airbus A340.

Major dimensions:

Length - 163ft 6in
Span - 167ft
Height - 52ft

DSCF2168.jpg

DSCF2175.jpg

DSCF2177.jpg

DSCF2178.jpg

You will have to forgive the quality of the photos, as I am next to useless when it comes to using a camera :-\

The model was built using the Airfix 1/144 Airbus A300B as a basis, the fuselage was suitably shortened, and then cross kitted with the inboard wing root sections from a Zvezda Il-86, all then smoothed together with lots of carefully shaped and sanded milliput modelling putty. The engines are a mixture of standard Airfix A300B core sections, and Revell A340 fan casings and pylons, once again modified to match the engines as depicted in the three view drawings. The text in the book does not name a specific engine, however the description given sounds remarkably reminiscent of the CFM56.

The model was finished using a mixture of Halfords spraycan white for the upper surfaces, straight up Halfords primer gray for the underside surfaces, Tamiya Aluminium for the wing and stabilator leading edges and engine nacelles, and Tamiya IJN gray to represent the corogard surfaces. The markings are straight from the Airfix A300B kit. The glazing is done using Microset Krystal Kleer.

I hope you like the model, and as always, criticism and comments are welcomed.

TTFN

Duncan

Wonderful job on the model, Duncan.

Rode an A340 several years ago on Lufthansa. Although I used to work for Boeing, I have to admit it was a nice flying aircraft.

And your photography is very well done. Nice job on the lighting, which is usually the hardest part.