• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Happy 20th birthday, Buran!

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
I had forgotten about this image before coming across it again today in the Transport Amphibious Platforms (TAP) concepts thread over in Naval Projects:

(h/t borovik)

A Soviet Navy TAP-30 'small landing craft', presumably being used to transport a Buran back from one of the more remote back-up landing sites.
(Though for a while, I was wondering if it was actually an illustration of the OK-92 precursor design being transported.)

Last edited:

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score

Wyvern

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
How was the Myasishchev M-4 modified to become the Atlant? What modifications did it require?

TomS

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Described in detail here: http://www.buran-energia.com/vmt-atlant/vmt-desc.php

Short version; it was very nearly a new aircraft. New tail, obviously, which required a new aft fuselage to support it. Modified or replaced bulkheads and fuselage skins across much of the aircraft. More powerful engines. Revised flight controls. Etc.

Archibald

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
I had forgotten about this image before coming across it again today in the Transport Amphibious Platforms (TAP) concepts thread over in Naval Projects:

(h/t borovik)

A Soviet Navy TAP-30 'small landing craft', presumably being used to transport a Buran back from one of the more remote back-up landing sites.
(Though for a while, I was wondering if it was actually an illustration of the OK-92 precursor design being transported.)
Ekranoplans and space shuttles, what's not to like ? add a zeppelin and a battleship in the background maybe ? :p