• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Happy 20th birthday, Buran!

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
I had forgotten about this image before coming across it again today in the Transport Amphibious Platforms (TAP) concepts thread over in Naval Projects:
al8-jpg.110600

(h/t borovik)

A Soviet Navy TAP-30 'small landing craft', presumably being used to transport a Buran back from one of the more remote back-up landing sites.
(Though for a while, I was wondering if it was actually an illustration of the OK-92 precursor design being transported.)

Last edited:

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score

Wyvern

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
How was the Myasishchev M-4 modified to become the Atlant? What modifications did it require?

TomS

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Described in detail here: http://www.buran-energia.com/vmt-atlant/vmt-desc.php

Short version; it was very nearly a new aircraft. New tail, obviously, which required a new aft fuselage to support it. Modified or replaced bulkheads and fuselage skins across much of the aircraft. More powerful engines. Revised flight controls. Etc.

Archibald

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
I had forgotten about this image before coming across it again today in the Transport Amphibious Platforms (TAP) concepts thread over in Naval Projects:
al8-jpg.110600

(h/t borovik)

A Soviet Navy TAP-30 'small landing craft', presumably being used to transport a Buran back from one of the more remote back-up landing sites.
(Though for a while, I was wondering if it was actually an illustration of the OK-92 precursor design being transported.)

Ekranoplans and space shuttles, what's not to like ? add a zeppelin and a battleship in the background maybe ? :p

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
I came across another photo of the Yamal mockup next to the Buran-Analogue 002
taken in 1999, at Zhukovsky, via this blog post on the excellent "Drew Ex Machina" spaceflight and astronomy blog

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
Many tests of elements of rocket and space technology are carried out in flying laboratories. This happened most fully during the creation of the Buran orbiter in the 1980s. In particular, the MiG-25 and Tu-154 laboratory aircraft were used to test the ship's automatic landing system.

For the final testing of the final stage of the Buran's flight and its landing, including in automatic mode, a full-size analogue aircraft BTS-002 was built. Its tests were carried out in Zhukovsky near Moscow - at the Gromov Flight Research Institute together with the Experimental Machine-Building Plant named after V.M. Myasishchev. It flew for the first time on November 10th, 1985, piloted by Gromov Flight Research Institute test pilots Igor Volk and Rimantas Stankevicius. They were originally planned as the crew for the first manned flight of the Buran.

1622886657885.png
ORIGINAL CAPTION; Photo: Aktug Ates / wikimedia.org

flateric

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score