Reaction score
Hi,

http://www.wingweb.co.uk/aircraft/The_Handley_Page_Victor.html

Attachments

• 450-Handley_Page_Supersonic_victor.jpg
    450-Handley_Page_Supersonic_victor.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 1,110
Re: Supersonic HP Victor

There were more than one.... see Buttler's "British Secret Projects- Bombers", and, at long last, Aerofax's "Victor"... same author.

Folks,

A couple of HP Victor questions if I may:

I've read that the Victor had structural provision to carry an additional 28 1000lb bombs in underwing containers. Has anyone got any drawings/pics of such an arrangement? Interestingly, this could have given the Victor a potential conventional bomb load of around 63,000 - 72,000 lb (depending upon how many bombs were carried internally - typical max load being 35 x 1000 lb, though this was apparently a RAF operational limit not the max possible loadout for the bay which was 48 x 1000 lb)! This is I believe even more than the B-52D "Big Belly" which held 60,000lb IIRC.

Also,

Does anyone know if there were proposals to fit the Victor (or the Vulcan for that matter) with a similar tail gun as proposed for the Valiant with the "Eager Beaver" arrangement:

Also, has anyone got any representations of what the proposed (though never implemented) crew escape capsule looked like?

Finally, does anyone have a good quality 3-view line drawing of the Victor - either variant?

Regards,

Greg

Attachments

• d5c23cbd.jpg
    d5c23cbd.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 2,072
Re: Handley Page Victor projects

Harder, than I thought at first ...
The best I could find among my resources may be this one from FlugWelt,
issue 3, 1966. Sorry for the bad copy, it's from a hardcover edition from
the library and the centerfold caused problems .. :-[

Attachments

• Victor-1.gif
    Victor-1.gif
    90.8 KB · Views: 2,004
  • Victor-2.gif
    Victor-2.gif
    104 KB · Views: 2,056

There are a very good set of Victor drawings by Arthur Bentley in SCALE MODELS October and November of '78.

A reprint appears in the November '83 issue.

http://www.albentley-drawings.com/main.htm

http://www.albentley-drawings.com/handley_page.htm

:)

Whilst we are on the subject of V-Bombers I was wondering if anybody has an image of the Phase-3 Vulcan that was proposed prior to the adoption of the Mark-2 design (Phase-2). According to Tony Butlers book it would have basically been the Mark-2 but with a narrower wing of honeycomb construction. The book carries an excellent 3-view of the proposed Victor Phase-3 (HP.104) but not of the Vulcan Phase-3, can anybody help?

Thank you in advance sealordlawrence.

Furthermore what were the two 30ft sideways looking aerials planned for the rear fuselage of the Victor Phase-3? Were they related to the red Drover planned for the Avro-730 or were they something different? Electronic countermeasures perhaps? Or just reconaissance?

sealordlawrence said:
Furthermore what were the two 30ft sideways looking aerials planned for the rear fuselage of the Victor Phase-3? Were they related to the red Drover planned for the Avro-730 or were they something different? Electronic countermeasures perhaps? Or just reconaissance?

More than likely SAR systems. The RAF pioneered the development of synthetic aperture radar for recce purposes.

rickshaw said:
sealordlawrence said:

More than likely SAR systems. The RAF pioneered the development of synthetic aperture radar for recce purposes.

That is my primary suspicion, however the only system that I am aware of in this category is the J-Band version of the Red Drover that would have used a 35ft antennae. Also would a reconnaissance system have been permanently fitted to a Strategic bomber roled as a Strategic bomber?

Some answers to my original questions:

Proposed crew escape capsule:

Wing bomb containers (note there were proposals for containers under the engines and in the same place as the B.2's fuel pods):

Finally, re the tail gun - no pics, but I did find the following intriguing comment in the Ministry of Supply's Specification (No. B. 128 P - reprint from 1 Sep 1954 incorporating amendment 1 - 6):

"Tail Armament

4.07 Deleted by Amendment No.4."

I wonder - did the original specifications (at least up to Amendment No.4), include a tail gun? Any information?

Regards,

Greg

Attachments

• f60300d4.jpg
    f60300d4.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 768
  • f7b35483.jpg
    f7b35483.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 643
  • 22e8d3d5.jpg
    22e8d3d5.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 1,672
  • a40376b5.jpg
    a40376b5.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,844

In the late 1950s, Handley-Page put forward a proposal to increase the installed thrust (and hence MTOW) in Victor B.Mk1/1A by adding two booster turbojets in overwing nacelles with intake-doors, to be used for takeoff and initial climb. Bristol Orpheus, Rolls-Royce RB-162 and Armstrong-Siddeley Viper were considered. This proposal was not taken up by the RAF.

GTX,

Interesting diagrams of the detachable pressure cabin. I don't suppose you have a description of how the crew exited when the cabin was under canopy ? Since the parachute attachment is at the rear, I would expect the cabin to assume a nose down attitude. It struck me that this might make it a bit tricky to get out the door. That must have been thought about ...

YA

It is conceivable that the parachute might have a harness-type attachment: the drawing doesn't seem to be very detailed.

If my memory serves me (I don't have my source available at present) the escape capsule was mocked up for sub-scale trials on a glider, and required something like 28 feet of coiled cable to maintain an electrical connection to operate systems post-separation.

The night before the first test, a well-meaning electrician found all the looped cable, decided it was messy and shortened it without telling anyone. The glider went up and dropped the capsule, which promptly fell like a stone and the idea was quietly abandoned.

Of course, this story has all the hallmarks of an urban legend, but that's definitely the gist of what's in the book on this matter. (V-Bomber, V-Force, something like that - lurid orange dustjacket, published in the early to mid 1980s)

sealordlawrence said:
rickshaw said:
sealordlawrence said:

That is my primary suspicion, however the only system that I am aware of in this category is the J-Band version of the Red Drover that would have used a 35ft antennae. Also would a reconnaissance system have been permanently fitted to a Strategic bomber roled as a Strategic bomber?

Why not? TSR2 had one, IIRC.

i read with B.2 can carry 4 AGM-48 Skybolt missiles, but has any drawn for this?

minoslas said:
i read with B.2 can carry 4 AGM-48 Skybolt missiles, but has any drawn for this?

No drawing, but here's some wind tunnel model pictures:

Regards,

Greg

Attachments

• 1bf5aad1.jpg
    1bf5aad1.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 787

stargazer said:
In the late 1950s, Handley-Page put forward a proposal to increase the installed thrust (and hence MTOW) in Victor B.Mk1/1A by adding two booster turbojets in overwing nacelles with intake-doors, to be used for takeoff and initial climb. Bristol Orpheus, Rolls-Royce RB-162 and Armstrong-Siddeley Viper were considered. This proposal was not taken up by the RAF.

Some pics:

1b605e49.jpg

including this hard to see one which shows the proposed additional engine installation:

b3e5f225.jpg

Regards,

Greg

Another drawing of the proposed under wing bomb containers - note there were at least 2 proposed versions: one under the engines and one further out on the wing roughly where the B.2's fuel pods were:

bc6a04a3.jpg

Regards,

Greg

sealordlawrence said:
rickshaw said:
sealordlawrence said:

The radar in question would be the "Red Neck" - seen here in both single and double versions:

69d5de72.jpg

240ee9aa.jpg

Regards,

Greg

I actually believe that the radar proposed for the Phase 3 was in fact the Red Setter and that it was part of the red devil blind bombing system.

Is the Vulcan 3 pictured the same as the Phase-3 mentioned in BSP?

;) Thanks GTF by the info.

The bomb bay, cellars bomb bay below the engine and the cellars bomb bay beneath the wings would carry nuclear weapons and other weapons other than bombs and mines?. Any new weapon was designed to be worn by the Victors? New misilles or Bombs?, has propose gun turrets or air missile naceles to the Victors?. which were the weights of the various nacelles bombs? B.3 version of Victor would also have the ability to bring these nacelles?

Regarding Red Setter. This was initially proposed as a Q-band SLAR, for use as a fixing-aid when delivering the Red Cheeks weapon. But with the cancellation of Red Cheeks, the Red Setter programme covered general SLAR R&D work (X-band and Q-band), as part of which a number of experimental sets were built. Specific SLARs for service application were proposed & developed under other project names e.g. Blue Shadow, Yellow Aster, Red Drover, Red Neck. I've not come across a reference to the SLAR for the Victor 3, but would guess (a) it would be a recce radar, and (b) it would be some derivative of the Red Neck work (which IIRC actually covered two radars: X-band and Q-band). I suspect recce radar since the Victor already had H2S for navigation and aiming - and using a SLAR for bombing has problems. However, this is supposition.

YA

GTX: tks for model pix. Sequence of events:
31/5/56: R&D ITP Mk.2 Victor+Vulcan to carry Blue Steel (ITP 9/3/56), warhead variant of Mk.1 Victor/Vulcan's Yellow Sun; 60 each ordered 5/3/57. Avro 730 then in design as "recce" because intended replacement was Blue Streak IRBM with heavy UK Orange Herald warhead. Various Super-ASMs in scheming to replace Blue Steel Mk.1.
25/3/57: Bermuda US/UK Collaboration Agreement. Dual-key Thor IRBM.
4/8/58: US/UK Agreement, Atomic Energy Co-operation for Defense. End of solo UK nukes. Delete Orange Herald, cut back Yellow Sun Mk.1. MoD despair at glacial Avro work on Blue Steel; despair at any UK Super ASM.
1/59: UK joins US in Joint ASR for (to be) Douglas Skybolt, chosen 6/59; Avro Weapons Research Division appointed Sister Firm. UK orders 144, 20/6/60 for Vulcan 2: dual fit, U/E 24 each Coningsby and Scampton. Blue Steel to be confined to 24 Scampton and 24 (became 16) Victor 2 Wittering.

So, what skewered Mk.3 Victor and cut back Mk.2 orders? The Received reason was undercarriage incompatibility with Skybolt...but GTX's pics suggest not. By late-59, Sir Fred.HP was seen by MoA as "difficult" in context of the desired measure of coalescence in industry structure; whereas HS Group was merging nicely with Blackburn, DH and Folland, all directed by (ex-RAE) Sir Arnold Hall and Sir Aubrey Burke. Rewarded, I suggest, as good boys.

I don't know why both firms schemed 6-pack Skybolts. UK could not afford such quantities: contemplate trying to generate such things; attrition would make the notion of second targets otiose; reliability/guidance accuracy was intended to be such that 2 ALBMs per target would suffice.

yellowaster said:
Regarding Red Setter. This was initially proposed as a Q-band SLAR, for use as a fixing-aid when delivering the Red Cheeks weapon. But with the cancellation of Red Cheeks, the Red Setter programme covered general SLAR R&D work (X-band and Q-band), as part of which a number of experimental sets were built. Specific SLARs for service application were proposed & developed under other project names e.g. Blue Shadow, Yellow Aster, Red Drover, Red Neck. I've not come across a reference to the SLAR for the Victor 3, but would guess (a) it would be a recce radar, and (b) it would be some derivative of the Red Neck work (which IIRC actually covered two radars: X-band and Q-band). I suspect recce radar since the Victor already had H2S for navigation and aiming - and using a SLAR for bombing has problems. However, this is supposition.

YA

My reasoning for this being Red Setter is that according to BSP the Phase 3 Victor was to have a fuselage extension for the purpose of taking radar antennae. The only reason I can think of for putting SLAR into the aircraft as a production standard (whilst not sacrificing bomb bay space) is to use it as a targetting system. Furthermore red devil is described as a targetting system that used Red Setter.

re: red setter as SLAR for Victor.

It's true that Red Devil would have incorporated Red Setter (or a Red Setter-type radar). But Red Devil was an aiming system and really only made sense for delivering Red Cheeks. Also, I've not seen any mention of Red Devil after about 1952, so suspect it really didn't get very far. It's not hard to see why. A SLAR gives a view at right-angles to direction of flight - which is fine if you want to fly past the target and launch a manoeuverable guided bomb at it - but rather less so for other applications.

The more likely possibility for the Victor SLAR, if not a recce radar, would be a nav radar for en-route position fixes (in same manner as the X-band SLAR in TSR-2) - I guess a SLAR with a long antenna would give a higher accuracy than that obtainable by H2S.

The Aerofax on the Victor by Phil Butler and Tony Buttler has just been published

G

Thorvic said:
The Aerofax on the Victor by Phil Butler and Tony Buttler has just been published

G

Yes - awaiting mine on order from Ian Allan - has been on order for some time now.

Regards,

Greg

Some more intriguing information re Victor (or Victor derivatives) tail guns:

The new Aerofax on the Victor by Phil Butler and Tony Buttler (excellent book btw guys) mentions the HP.98 Target Marker proposal as being planned to have "Radar-sighted remotely controlled tail guns...". Does anyone have any further information on this proposal or the proposed installation?

BTW, my earlier request for a good quality Victor 3-view frawing has been satisfied. If anyone else wants a copy, please PM me with your email address.

Regards,

Greg

No, As I understand it that is the Phase III Victor that was offered as an option for the Mk2, the Phase II being the one chosen.

I think this is the one you are thinking of:

Regards,

Greg

Edit: Images attached from photobucket to the forum.

Attachments

• vicss1.jpg
    vicss1.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 1,911
  • vicss2.jpg
    vicss2.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,670

sealordlawrence said:
No, As I understand it that is the Phase III Victor that was offered as an option for the Mk2, the Phase II being the one chosen.

Aha, I see, thanks.

GTX said:
I think this is the one you are thinking of:

Regards,

Greg

Edit: Images attached from photobucket to the forum.

Thanks, I remember now that the fuselage was more different than the "ordinary" Victor.

I checked http://www.skomer.u-net.com/projects/start.htm to see what the Red Cheeks was. According to the website it's an inertial-controlled bomb, but what does that mean, apart from (seemingly) being some type of early "smart bomb"? Would it have been armed with high explosives or with nuclear warheads? ???

BTW, would it have been possible/practical to arm the Vickers Blue Boar TV-guided stand off bomb/missile with a conventional warhead instead of the proposed nuclear?

Thanks in advance. :)