Hélicop-Air L-50 Girhel light autogiro project......

Caravellarella

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Dear Boys and Girls, here is an article in French about the Hélicop-Air L-50 Girhel light autogiro "project" designed by Georges Lepère for the L'Aéronef de Grande Vulgarisation competition won by the Morane-Saulnier MS.880 Rallye. The Hélicop-Air L-50 Girhel had a fixed wing for forward flight and could apparently power the rotor for a helicopter-type take-off; although a prototype was constructed, I cannot find any evidence that it ever flew......

The article comes from the 18th July 1959 issue of Les Ailes......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• Helicop-Air L-50 Girhel autogiro project - Les Ailes - No. 1,738 - 18 Juillet 1959 1.......jpg
    Helicop-Air L-50 Girhel autogiro project - Les Ailes - No. 1,738 - 18 Juillet 1959 1.......jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 345
  • Helicop-Air L-50 Girhel autogiro project - Les Ailes - No. 1,738 - 18 Juillet 1959 2.......jpg
    Helicop-Air L-50 Girhel autogiro project - Les Ailes - No. 1,738 - 18 Juillet 1959 2.......jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 295
Re: Helicop-Air L-50 Girhel light autogiro project......

a little drawing

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 252
a big drawing......

Attachments

• Helicop-Air L-50 Girhel autogiro advertisement - Les Ailes - No. 1,735 - 27 Juin 1959.......jpg
    Helicop-Air L-50 Girhel autogiro advertisement - Les Ailes - No. 1,735 - 27 Juin 1959.......jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 249
Re: Helicop-Air L-50 Girhel light autogiro project......

Yes ! always little !!

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 231
Dear Terry
No ! I don't know ! I don't read anytyhing about a flight...
but I suppose..not sure ..
We could try to find

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 59
toura said:
Dear Terry
No ! I don't know ! I don't read anytyhing about a flight...
but I suppose..not sure ..
We could try to find

Thank you Toura; I was trying to work our if the Girhel was in the right forum as a "project" (although it appears to have been built) or as a real aircraft for the "aerospace" forum......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Dear Boys and Girls, here is part of an article in French about the Hélicop-Air L-50 Girhel light autogiro prototype as exhibited at the 1959 Paris Salon……

I assume the Hélicop-Air L-50 Girhel was not a winner in L'Aéronef de Grande Vulgarisation competition because it wasn't a conventional fixed wing light aircraft......

The article comes from the 27th June 1959 issue of Les Ailes......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• Helicop-Air L-50 Girhel autogiro project - Les Ailes - No. 1,735 -27 Juin 1959.......jpg
    Helicop-Air L-50 Girhel autogiro project - Les Ailes - No. 1,735 -27 Juin 1959.......jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 58
Truly a fascinating prototype... Thank you so much guys for sharing!

Here's my little contribution: a color pic and some plans...

Attachments

• Air L-50 Girhel Gyro Plans.pdf
    158 KB · Views: 22
  • Helicop-Air Girhel.jpg
    Helicop-Air Girhel.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 71
Hi all
Thanks Stephane !
This plane was........F-WJCO
It's all I've found more
Bye

A profile view from RAF Flying Review in 1960:

Attachments

• Helicop-Air L.50 Girhel.gif
    Helicop-Air L.50 Girhel.gif
    114 KB · Views: 55
Another photo of the Girhel, presumably on the tarmac at the Paris-Le Bourget Air Show in 1959:

Attachments

• helicop-air_1.jpg
    helicop-air_1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 51
There was also L-51.

http://kulturserver-nds.de/home/hubtest/medien/Neg.Nr.GUN.pdf

Attachments

• a.png
    a.png
    77.7 KB · Views: 52
Dear Boys and Girls, here is an article in French about the Hélicop-Air L-50 Girhel light autogiro "project" designed by Georges Lepère for the L'Aéronef de Grande Vulgarisation competition won by the Morane-Saulnier MS.880 Rallye. The Hélicop-Air L-50 Girhel had a fixed wing for forward flight and could apparently power the rotor for a helicopter-type take-off; although a prototype was constructed, I cannot find any evidence that it ever flew......

The article comes from the 18th July 1959 issue of Les Ailes......

Terry (Caravellarella)

From the same issue,the L-51 also.

Attachments

• 1   18-7-1959.png
    1 18-7-1959.png
    821.8 KB · Views: 43
Could the machine below be connected to the Girhel (even allowing for the fact that it doesn't have wings and its tail feathers are significantly different).

Last edited:
Though today most autogyros have pusher props, examples with tractor props still aren't extinct.
The unknown example here has a very short cowling, so without doubt a very small engine, as used in
many ultra-lights. The Girhel was designed by Georges Lepère, Helicop-Air was rather an operator
of helicopters, than a manufacturer, I think, and if the Girhel would have succeeded in the contest for the
"L'Aéronef de Grande Vulgarisation", series production may have been done by another company.
To me, the photo looks like relatively new, though older than 10 years, of course, but there probably
would be a time span of about 40 years between those two designs. ,In most cases, that's a bit long
for a true follow-on design, and certainly too long for Georges Lepère, who worked on helicopters and
autogyros already in 1929 !
But maybe my mail to that flying school, that aircraft is somehow connected to, will be answered, I'll keep you informed. ;)

But maybe my mail to that flying school, that aircraft is somehow connected to, will be answered, I'll keep you informed. ;)

Thank you, Jemiba. That was next on my list! But I won't duplicate what you've already done.

Would I be correct in assuming, Jemiba, that you did not receive a response from the flying school to which you sent your e-mail?

Good to get this reminder, as after our holidays, I honestly had fallen from view.
But still yet, no, no answer, so I honestly don't really expect an answer anymore.
Maybe they were deterred by my bad French, though in Strasbourg, I actually could
order our meals ! ;)

Back
Top Bottom