Grumman Design 29 - "Single Seat Fighter (Pusher)" 1937

Tailspin Turtle

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.tommythomason.com
I got this and the Design 30 drawing from the Grumman Aviation History Center when I was researching my monograph on the Bell XFL-1 for Steve Ginter's Naval Fighters series. I didn't include either other than a brief mention but I thought they might be of interest here.

Attachments

• Grumman D-29 Data.jpg
    Grumman D-29 Data.jpg
    630 KB · Views: 255
  • Grumman Design 29.jpg
    Grumman Design 29.jpg
    680.9 KB · Views: 361
Gee thanks, but wow! What a homely "clunker". It pains me to imagine what combat between a G-29 and an A6M might have been like.

Best Regards,

Artie Bob

Wow, Thanks again for that treasures. US Fighter pre-WWII unbuilt projects are really hard to find.

Antonio

I detect an interesting paralelism between the Grumman 29 & 30 designs and some Dutch prototypes of 1939.
Here De Schelde S.21
from "War Planes of the Second World War" volume three, by William Green, Macdonald Publishers 1961

Attachments

• Escanear.jpg
    Escanear.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 219
I detect an interesting paralelism between the Grumman 29 & 30 designs and some Dutch prototypes of 1939.

Evolutive Convergence?.

From 1935-1940, US manufacturers were encouraged to explore revolutionary fighter design concepts without complex. The ultimate expression being the R-40C fighter competition.

Dutch manufacturers seem to have also explored freely, thus ending with quite similar solutions.

I don't succeed in enlarging the D-29 picture (3-view) when clicking on it

I have the same problem, but you can download it without problem and open locally at your computer.

pometablava said:
I don't succeed in enlarging the D-29 picture (3-view) when clicking on it
I have the same problem, but you can download it without problem and open locally at your computer.
Thanks, this works great! Now, I am able to post the reduced version I was dreaming of:

Attachments

• R_d-29.jpg
    R_d-29.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 214