Gottlob Espenlaub - Projects & Prototypes

Re: Espenlaub Tailless

http://www.j2mcl-planeurs.net/dbj2mcl/planeurs-machines/planeurs-docs_0int.php?n=1951#top
http://www.j2mcl-planeurs.net/dbj2mcl/planeurs-machines/planeur-fiche_0int.php?code=1951
http://www.retroplane.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2450

Attachments

• Espenlaub E-15.doc
    335.5 KB · Views: 86

Hi,

As I know in my files,the Espenlaub designed anther tailless powered aircraft project,
but never built,who can help ?.

hesham said:
As I know in my files,the Espenlaub designed anther tailless powered aircraft project,
but never built,who can help ?.

This project was a five seat high-wing cabin monoplane,does anyone know it ?.

Hi,

also Espenlaub designed and built a two-seat high-wing tailless monoplane.

Hi,

Espenlaub designed a glider,motor glider and a light aircraft,some built and the other
was not,from E-1 to E-33,does anyone know more of his Projects ?.

Hi,

was this Espenlaub E-33 or not ?.

http://www.avia-it.com/act/biblioteca/periodici/PDF%20Riviste/Ala%20d'Italia/L'ALA%20D'ITALIA%201939%2004.pdf

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    593 KB · Views: 391
Hi,

was this aircraft real,Espenlaub Jagdflugzeug ?.

Hi,

Mr. Gottlob Espenlaub was a gliders and sailplanes designer,from 1921 he began created
a series and formed Espenlaub Flugzeugbau Cassel.

E-1 was a single seat glider,1921
E-2 was a ultra-light sailplane,1922
E-3 was a single seat high wing glider,1922
E-4 was a single seat high wing nose wheel glider,1923
E-5 was a single seat high wing glider,1925
E-6 was a starting school leader
E-7 was a two-seat high wing glider,1927
E-8 was a motor glider,powered by one 12 hp Anazi engine
E-9 was a two-seat glider,1927
E-10 was a single seat glider,1927
E-11 was a single seat motor glider,powered by one 35 hp Anzani engine
E-12 was a two-seat parasol wing light monoplane,powered by one engine
E-13 not used
E-14 was a two-seat monoplane,maybe a powered airplane
E-15 was a single seat tailless pusher motor glider,1929
E-16 was a single seat tailless pusher motor glider,developed from E-15,1930
E-17 was a closed-cabin light high-wing monoplane,powered by one Siemens Sh 12 engine,1931
E-18 to E-31 probably not used
E-32 was a single seat high wing glider,1932
E-33 was a twin engined light airplane,built by Mr. Herbert Gomolzig,1939
E-34 was a single seat high wing glider of post war,1951
E-35 was a single seat high-wing closed-cabin glider,with tricycle
landing gear,1953,fitted with two Walter Minor engines in 1961
E-36 was a light airplane,powered by one 180 hp Lycoming engine,1963
E-37 was a motor sailplane of 1966,fitted with two Hirth F-10 engines

any additions or corrections are welcome

Last edited:
Some Espenlaub designations are really puzzling ...

E 6 : Anfangschulgleiter

EA 1 : Single seat glider for towing (the two seats E 7 was too heavy for towing) and rocket test .

no E " 13" ...

E 14 : Two seats monoplane

E 15 (E 16??):Typ Soldenhoff A (??)

E 16 ( E 15 ??): High wing tailless tractor (later used for rocket test ??)

Amazing Infos my dear Richard,many thanks,

and I will add some of them to the list.

My dear Richard,

please do you have a pictures or a drawings to them ?.

hesham said:

My dear Richard,

please do you have a pictures or a drawings to them ?.

Here they are :

Attachments

• Numériser 101.jpeg
    Numériser 101.jpeg
    427.9 KB · Views: 154
  • Numériser 100.jpeg
    Numériser 100.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 152
  • Numériser 99.jpeg
    Numériser 99.jpeg
    474.5 KB · Views: 166
  • Numériser 98.jpeg
    Numériser 98.jpeg
    761.2 KB · Views: 208
  • Numériser 97.jpeg
    Numériser 97.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 252
Hi,

here is the Espenlaub 11.

L'Air 1927

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    442.5 KB · Views: 102
According to William Green; Rocket Fighter, Purnell's History of the Second World War, Weapons Book No. 20, 1970, the tailless machine was the Espenlaub E-15. It was a follow-up to his rocket powered Rak-3, a modified E-1 glider. Owing to the Rak-3's habit of setting its own tail on fire, the E-15 was made tailless. It was first flight tested with a 20 hp Daimler engine in 1929 or 1930, before fitting of the rocket unit. It flew under rocket power in May 1930. After a few flights, a rocket malfunctioned and the aircraft dived into the ground. Luckily, Espenlaub survived, but his interest in rocket propulsion did not.
The drawing posted above by Justo Miranda looks suspiciously as if it has come from the same source.

Hmmm. The author of that site is Rob Arndt.
Caveat...

The grain of salt that should be taken is large enough to bash the brains out of a Columbian mammoth.

Are you guys suggesting that the photos are faked or wrongly attributed, or what? The gist of it all seems pretty darn evidence-based, to me.

Last edited:
Just found this. Staggering secret stuff:
Espenlaub Experimental Aerial and Motor Craft
So basically this guy invented some kites, that Germans were trying to use as cheaper alternative to barrage balloons. He also probably tinkered some sort of experimental aircraft out of the parts of damaged planes during the war (which isn't unusual also). Don't see much problems here.

This Rob Arndt /grey falcon/etc earned a place near the top of the do-not-trust black list of many people, by his creative admiration about German and especially Nazi "secret" inventions.
He has definitely a spot on mine.
YMMV. Like Scott wrote, a large grain of salt is in order.

This Rob Arndt /grey falcon/etc earned a place near the top of the do-not-trust black list of many people, by his creative admiration about German and especially Nazi "secret" inventions.
What, you don't believe those photos are genuine either? What evidence do you have to support that?

What, you don't believe those photos are genuine either? What evidence do you have to support that?
When it comes to Arndt, I'd be dubious of "and" and "the." It's been quite a number of years since I've even remembered that Arndt existed, but ~20 years ago he was propping up Nazi flying saucers and Vril magic and psychic blond chicks using their long hair as antennae to talk to aliens.

The photos, that arouse my suspicion are those two, allegedly showing the "The Espenlaub Jagdflugzeug".
It reminds me to the "Heinkel He 279/519", or whatever it was called ...
The others are well known anyway, I think.

You are reacting as if I was trying to tell you what you should believe or distrust.
But I am not. I just wrote "a large grain of salt is in order", so you are forwarned. Then it is up to you to assess, cross-check etc, and make your own opinion.

I have the same memories as Scott about him as a nazi admirer, ufo conspiracist and general kook. So I doubt anything from him. If you really want to know, to me all the text about Espenlaub's relationship with the Luftwaffe is his usual utter conspiracist BS: "In 1945 all documents are destroyed deliberately to conceal ... possible secret rocket development plans". Riiiight...

Again, I'm not trying to tell you what you should believe or distrust. It is up to you to cross-check and make your own opinion.

It is up to you to cross-check and make your own opinion.
No need to tell me that! :p
But forgive me for being as sceptical of vociferous sceptics lacking hard evidence as I am of vociferous anybody else lacking hard evidence.

The photos, that arouse my suspicion are those two, allegedly showing the "The Espenlaub Jagdflugzeug".
It reminds me to the "Heinkel He 279/519", or whatever it was called ...
It is claimed to be a cut-and-shut job, so one would expect it to look reminiscent of something else. Pending positive ID, I'll reserve judgement.

Further to the pics from the link that Scapaflow posted, I noticed that although the text attached to one of the pics, which I have reproduced below, was saying this was the Soldenhoff Flugzeug, Herr Soldenhoff being the gentleman pictured with Herr Espenlaub, however the picture title, when downloading says, '10_Espenlaub_Buch_Espenlaub_30.jpg.small' so I wonder if this design is actually the Espenlaub 30? Soldenhoff Flugzeug.jpg

Last edited:
Similarly, the next picture on the page does not say what type this is, but the file when downloading is called 10_Espenlaub_Buch_Espenlaub_29.jpg.small, so could we suggest this is the E29? 10_Espenlaub_Buch_Espenlaub_29.jpg.small.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom