German canards

steelpillow

Not coming back. Send me a PM.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Rutan may have been inspired by this, perhaps?
Rutan's first unusual design was the Vari-Viggen, a delta-wing canard like the Swedish fast jet from SAAB that inspired it. Canards have been around since the American Wright brothers. The swept-wing canard was included in British patent No 26441 by British pioneer JW Dunne and granted in 1910, and first appeared in the flesh (to my knowledge) in the Italian Ambrosini SS.4 of 1939. The German WWII work was widely circulated during the late 1940s, but had been assimilated and all but forgotten by the time Rutan's generation came along. SAAB developed the idea of close-coupling the canard to the wing, in order to obtain a positive interaction between them. None of the projects documented by Frost do this.
The B&V Ae 607 was a single German drawing of a canard delta (and perhaps the very first design) foreshadowing the SAAB conception. Here's an image of a clearer re-drawing from the linked discussion.
379.jpg
Did SAAB's inspiration originate in this German drawing? It was so utterly obscure for so many years that even Frost did not record it. It only came to people's notice after the SAAB/Rutan revolution. So the link is extremely unlikely.

Last edited:
A mistery project to me, published in 1941, Flugsport magazine, heft 26-8. A fighter, with a DB 601. Maybe stemmed from a TH rather than an aircraft company.

Attachments

• Ente Jagdflugzeug 1939  DB 601 flugsport-1941-heft-26-8.jpg
    Ente Jagdflugzeug 1939 DB 601 flugsport-1941-heft-26-8.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 79
A mistery project to me, published in 1941, Flugsport magazine, heft 26-8. A fighter, with a DB 601. Maybe stemmed from a TH rather than an aircraft company.

Yes,I spoke about it before.

that is the Skoda-Kauba V-7