General Dynamics Model 100 / Cold Pigeon / Sneaky Pete / HAVE KEY

quellish

I don’t read The Drive. The Drive reads me.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Known at various times as:
Model 100
Sneaky Pete
Cold Pigeon
HAVE KEY (Under USAF Aeronautical Systems Division ownership)
Approximately 1976-1984, evolved into the ATA/A-12.

Sneaky Pete has been mentioned often in other threads, but has no thread of its own. I've recently run across an image of it in a very strange place, and had already collected a timeline of Sneaky Pete information.

So, all in one place now.

Attachments

• Sneaky Pete.png
    Sneaky Pete.png
    163.4 KB · Views: 2,083
  • Lil Sneaky Pete.png
    Lil Sneaky Pete.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 2,263
Collecting together what we have on this design. Quellish can probably add something more :)

Attachments

• ColdPigeon.jpg
    ColdPigeon.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 1,916
  • sneaky-pete.jpg
    sneaky-pete.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,902
  • ATF-SLO.jpg
    ATF-SLO.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 1,188
  • ATF-SLO (2).jpg
    ATF-SLO (2).jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 1,842
Last edited:
Comparison to 1979 Northrop Low Altitude Penetrator

northropb2study11-jpg.16505

northropb2study5-jpg.16493

I believe this has the same basic concept of low front quarter RCS as Sneaky Pete, with rear aspect less important.

Last edited:
I'm wondering why they called it "Sneaky Pete". That is a popular colloquialism from back in the day. A sneaky pete was a pool cue used by a hustler that looks like a cheap beat up house cue, but it's really deadly in the hands of a skilled player...

sublight is back said:
I'm wondering why they called it "Sneaky Pete". That is a popular colloquialism from back in the day. A sneaky pete was a pool cue used by a hustler that looks like a cheap beat up house cue, but it's really deadly in the hands of a skilled player...

The terms "sneaky pete" / "sneeky pete" also refer to a whole series of sexual behaviors usually connected to sodomy... For the demonstrator of an elusive stealth aircraft meant to penetrate enemy lines unnoticed, it does make some sense to me... ::)

Stargazer2006 said:
sublight is back said:

The terms "sneaky pete" / "sneeky pete" also refer to a whole series of sexual behaviors usually connected to sodomy... For the demonstrator of an elusive stealth aircraft meant to penetrate enemy lines unnoticed, it does make some sense to me... ::)

TMI Dude :eek:

Looks like a B-2ish shape bled through on Overscan's second pic. I'm guessing that was the "high-altitude concept"?

Stargazer2006 said:
The terms "sneaky pete" / "sneeky pete" also refer to a whole series of sexual behaviors usually connected to sodomy... For the demonstrator of an elusive stealth aircraft meant to penetrate enemy lines unnoticed, it does make some sense to me...
This other definition makes even more sense:
"When you start and finish sex with your partner while they remain asleep."
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sneaky pete (2nd )

I must confess that (admittedly by my ageing/flaky memory) I thought this was allegedly so named in connection with Charles 'Pete' Winters, who was a Test Pilot and Vice Commander/Commander of AFFTC DET3 in the same rough period?:

More obvious here:

Less so here...:

Maybe wrong, perhaps everything is just about Sex after all!

From the bio: "BQM-34 (Classified)". Really? Hmmm.

Stargazer2006 said:
sublight is back said:

The sexual connection does seem to make sense, especially with the "penetrator" label attached the certain stealth designs!

That said, I've always thought of Peter "Sneaky Pete" Kleinow who played with the Flying Burrito Brothers. I'm probably clutching at some serious straws here, but since Sneaky Pete the aircraft supposedly grew into the ATA - known as the Flying Dorito - and Flying Dorito rhymes with Flying Burrito... well, need I say more! There are some serious flaws in that idea, granted, but nonetheless it got me thinking.

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
Collecting together what we have on this design. Quellish can probably add something more :)

Is the ATF-SLO a sort of forerunner of the A-12 Avenger II of late 80's??

archipeppe said:
PaulMM (Overscan) said:

Is the ATF-SLO a sort of forerunner of the A-12 Avenger II of late 80's??

ATF-SLO is a version of the General Dynamics Sneaky Pete design offered to ATF concept definition studies. A-12 Avenger was based on Sneaky Pete work.

Superb design and outstanding artwork, Scott, thanks.

It's interesting to notice that at a time when faceted surfaces were all the rage, Northrop had already pretty much established its trademark blended cockpit and intakes, which were carried over in Tacit Blue, the B-2 and now the B-21.

Skyblazer said:
Superb design and outstanding artwork, Scott, thanks.

It's interesting to notice that at a time when faceted surfaces were all the rage, Northrop had already pretty much established its trademark blended cockpit and intakes, which were carried over in Tacit Blue, the B-2 and now the B-21.

"Blended" was long the goal. The F-117 was designed when computers couldn't handle the math, but once they *could,* then the issue was solved.