Reaction score
General Dynamics propose this project around 1961

A SSTO carry a Space Station with 20 men crew in low orbit

Source: San Diego Air and Space Museum flickr page

30559255814_a51bd231d5_b.jpg

31236816442_7c1432aa99_b.jpg

31011629660_ac8ca7cd2a_b.jpg

31265792171_4df18690ef_b.jpg

Interesting. Being a circa 1960 proposal, especially for an SSTO, some optimism is apparent.

Making the assumption that the 'P-1' engine is equivalent to an M-1, performance could be anywhere from zero to 250 tonnes in LEO, depending on losses and the tank fraction. Being as it's a General Dynamics design, I'd assume Atlas/Centaur heritage and a pretty good tank fraction, but a heck of a lot of risk too.

We see the same plumbing off the stand-pipe and H2 tank in Musk's BFR. Great minds think alike. I do note, with the S-1, that they played it conservatively with the O2 tank -- not going with the common bulkhead of Centaur.

1.5 ton thrust each motor. That would be F-1 class stuff, wouldn't it? And with the base of the nozzles so low, would the truncated spike serve any useful altitude thrust correcting work?

And that flame-pit. Would not the Chinese protest?

David

merriman said:
1. We see the same plumbing off the stand-pipe and H2 tank in Musk's BFR. Great minds think alike.

2. I do note, with the S-1, that they played it conservatively with the O2 tank -- not going with the common bulkhead of Centaur.

1. Nothing new and not indicative of a "great mind". Just another way to skin a cat.

2. Quite the opposite, it is a common bulkhead

merriman said:
We see the same plumbing off the stand-pipe and H2 tank in Musk's BFR. Great minds think alike.
And fools seldom differ. Only so many ways to arrange the plumbing after all.
1.5 ton thrust each motor. That would be F-1 class stuff, wouldn't it?
F-1 class thrust but with LOx/LH2 - which makes it more nearly an M-1, initially 1.2 Mlb thrust but with growth to 1.5 Mlb thrust expected.
And with the base of the nozzles so low, would the truncated spike serve any useful altitude thrust correcting work?
Doubtful; I suspect it would turn out to cause bad problems with base drag and need a major redesign. That was where the centre engines on the Saturn V and N1 originally came from, if I recall correctly.
And that flame-pit. Would not the Chinese protest?
Why does nobody think of the Molemen?

finally the Picture about space station itself
33507545632_607c613b8f_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom