Galileo system offline

Grey Havoc

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score

The current problems with the nascent system were first reported on Thursday, but by Saturday evening, all 22 satellites in orbit were listed as offline. On Sunday, a public notice was posted and GNSS has so far given no timeline for fixing the issue.

Eppur si muove - Galileo Galilei on leaving the court.

"related to its ground infrastructure..." ?

Given the cost of the thing, it's quite silly to be world wide spoofed at one time like that. But well observed, the ground station seems to have been the weak link targeted.

a. The system is not operational yet.
b. the system was not spoofed. There's a problem at one of the ground stations (I saw a report indicating a software update had gone awry) and because the system is not operational yet, redundancy has not yet been built for that particular function.

But we are past 100hr... Can't they revert to the previous build?

Any software rollout should have a reversion plan, but a 'technical incident' doesn't sound like a purely software problem, there may be hardware involvement as well. (We once lost our mainframe for a fortnight while I was at uni when the aircon system had an uncontained blade failure and they needed to demolish part of the building to get in to replace it).

Galilleo is back:

With the whole constellation affected, and reports of position errors of 500m, I suspect the 'ground infrastructure' involved was the ground-based reference clocks that generate Galilleo System Time.