Future Ginter book : Boeing B-50 (by Geoffrey Hays) OUT NOW !

Re: Future Ginter book : Boeing B-50 (by Geoffrey Hays)

Excellent news! Especially the fact that it is in hardcover. One thing I hope is that Ginter would learn to do a little bit more organized layout. Now the books look like old British aircraft cockpits (stuff thrown in randomly). ;D

Very interesting subject with little info available to date.
It will be intersting to compare it with its Tupolev counterpart, the Tu-80. It woulb be great to find the B-54 in the book for comparison with the Tu-85.
I'll be ready to order, specially if little known variants or even unbuilt proposals are included.
I'm interested in the type operational story too.

BTW, it's interesting to note that Boeing built a stepped cockpit for the B-29 which was never adopted in the development sequence into the B-54 despite the complains from the crews. Tupolev, however, switched to stepped cockpit in the Tu-80

Totally off topic, it's me or could the Tu-95 be considered a B-29 descendant via Tu-4, -80 and -85?

pometablava said:
Totally off topic, it's me or could the Tu-95 be considered a B-29 descendant via Tu-4, -80 and -85?
Not really off topic, and I have always considered the Tu-95 to be a descendant of the B-29.

Is it, in fact, a hardcover? Amazon indicates it will be a softcover, like all the other books in the series.

I have the book now, and it is indeed a softcover, similar in format to all its predecessors. Including the covers and the introduction (whose pages are lettered), it totals 244 pages.

One weakness of the Ginter books has always been a lack of table of contents or index. To give some idea of the book's scope, here are the chapters and their start pages:

1 - B-50A (page 1)
2 - B-50B, RB-50B, YB-50C, B/RB-54A and XB-55 (page 83)
3 - B-50D and WB-50D (page 123)
4 - KB-50, KB-50J and KB-50K (page 172)
5 - Test and Research & Development Aircraft (page 197)
6 - TB-50A, TB-50D and TB-50H (page 205)

The inside back cover has reviews of the Academy 1/72 B-50D and RB-50G kits.

If you're wondering, coverage of the YB-50C, B-54A and XB-55 amounts to about 4 pages, describing the VDT engine concept and showing artist's conceptions and mockups. The XB-55 turboprop was really an unrelated aircraft, but the YB-50C mockups were used to test components intended for the XB-55. No comparisons to comparable Soviet aircraft are included.