Fusion-anti matter hybrid spaceship propulsion?

totoro

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
But... there isn't that much text written on such propulsion, available online. The Wiki article is not very helpful. So can anyone help me understand it?
What I gathered is that the gist of it is this: you have a fusion reaction which is somehow spiced up with antimatter. But that leaves me with questions:
Does it involve basically a normal fusion reactor (lets say that within 100 or 200 years such tech would be wide spread) ?
Does it then involve, besides the fuel for the fusion, holding a certain amount of anti-matter within the ship? Enough for repeatedly adding AM to the reaction, during the entire trip?
How hard is it to contain antimatter, and store it for years if necessary? I understand that creating antimatter is insanely power demanding and thus expensive, but that it can be done. But how far along is the containment technology? Are there indications that year long containment could be achievable within 100 or 200 years?

Finally, just how would the power, emitted by the reactor be harnessed and directed so the whole ship can accelerate or decelerate at 1 G, eventually achieving 0.5 speed of light?

Sounds like this thing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter-catalyzed_nuclear_pulse_propulsion

So, basically, Orion (nuclear blast propulsion) with antimatter triggering fusion bombs.

As for containing antimatter, magnetic/laser traps work, though no one has built it at the necessary scale and time frame, but it should be workable in principle. No one have the energy generation to produce anti-matter at the scale required either.

It is one of those engineering projects that makes sense for a K2 civ so most talks about it is very premature.

Last edited:
While using fusion bombs is one option, a more interesting option to me is this:

Under the beam-core antimatter propulsion paragraph.

Sadly, I still don't quite understand how that'd work. Does the article suggest the fusion reactor would be fixed inside a spaceship? And then the antimatter would be periodically added to the reaction? And then that there would somehow (how?) power be radiating out of the reactor? And then that some magnets would be re-directing that power (but in what form is that power?) so it's ejected out of the spaceship, thus accelerating the ship itself?

While using fusion bombs is one option, a more interesting option to me is this:

Under the beam-core antimatter propulsion paragraph.

Sadly, I still don't quite understand how that'd work. Does the article suggest the fusion reactor would be fixed inside a spaceship? And then the antimatter would be periodically added to the reaction? And then that there would somehow (how?) power be radiating out of the reactor? And then that some magnets would be re-directing that power (but in what form is that power?) so it's ejected out of the spaceship, thus accelerating the ship itself?

Just reading that for the first time, but my impression is that the Beam-Core antimatter drive does not use fusion at all; it uses matter-antimater annihilation. So equal amounts of protons and antiprotons are injected into a magnetic nozzle, they annihilate each other generating charged and neutral pions (pi mesons). The charged pions (and their positron/electron decay products) can be directed using magnetic fields to generate thrust; the neutral mesons decay into gamma rays, which the authors hope can be reflected and also used to create some extra thrust.

This seems more like an exercise in theoretical physics than something that is ever likely to work IRL.

Hm, true. That paragraph may not include fusion at all. I guess the third and the fourth paragraphs are more interesting then.

Antimatter Catalysed Micro Fission/Fusion Drive

Which seems to lack the mention of pulse, so it may not be about ejecting nuke bombs but somehow containing the reaction and redirecting power?

And

Antimatter Initiated Microfusion Drive

Which seems to be roughly similar but requires more antimatter. Though here it definitely mentions there is fusion product particle matter expelled through a magnetic nozzle.