Funny Fictional Aircraft (the old "Humorous aircraft never meant to fly..")

The MACNAPHANTOM!

MultiPurposeMACNAPHANTOM1.jpg

The Museum has this art on a handout lithograph with real F-4 information on the back. I can scan it and post a clean copy of this image without the Photobucket banner.

Also I'd like to suggest we expand this thread to include other silly art like this with official histories, NOT user artwork, that already on this site to make this thread the place to check to see (before posting your copy of an image elsewhere) if the art already exists here. Here is a scan of another silly F-4 Phantom image (with a D4C number printed on the back) in the Museum's collection that I've been looking to see if it has been posted already. (Note: F-4 gets it done is the title I gave this scan.) The number is D4C-46029, and it is dated 5/67.

F-4 gets it done.jpg

From Bruce McCalls 'Major Howdy Bixby's Album of Forgotten Warbirds', I give you:

Attachments

• mccall-humbley (1).jpg
    mccall-humbley (1).jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 65
What ever happened to the fictional Handley-Page Howdah assymetric transport airplane?

Igor Sokorov's fictional quadra-plane is based upon the Lloyd 04.08 Luftcreuzer prototype. The tri-motor, tri-plane LLC was built in the Austro-Hungarian Empire during 1915. The prototype was poorly-balanced and tipped over on its nose during taxi tests. They tried adding a nose wheel, but LLC was last seen headed for the scrap yard.
The Lloyd Sky Cruiser bomber prototype was even uglier than the single-engined, turreted fighter it was based upon! Both airplanes shared a horrid view from the pilot's seat!

The Museum has this art on a handout lithograph with real F-4 information on the back. I can scan it and post a clean copy of this image without the Photobucket banner.

Also I'd like to suggest we expand this thread to include other silly art like this with official histories, NOT user artwork, that already on this site to make this thread the place to check to see (before posting your copy of an image elsewhere) if the art already exists here. Here is a scan of another silly F-4 Phantom image (with a D4C number printed on the back) in the Museum's collection that I've been looking to see if it has been posted already. (Note: F-4 gets it done is the title I gave this scan.) The number is D4C-46029, and it is dated 5/67.

View attachment 631264

That reminds us of Haank Caruso's Aerocatures series.

I seem to remember similar art in a childrens book in the late 60's very early 70's where a kid wanted wings on a red wagon-decades before the movie Radio Flyer. I was at a doctor's office-Klich?-as a child seeing something similar. I love this design. Soap box derby entrants are too slick. An early Fat Albert film had more whimsical fare. Does this book have a section of similar oddites in the air all at once?

I seem to remember similar art in a childrens book in the late 60's very early 70's where a kid wanted wings on a red wagon-decades before the movie Radio Flyer. I was at a doctor's office-Klich?-as a child seeing something similar. I love this design. Soap box derby entrants are too slick. An early Fat Albert film had more whimsical fare. Does this book have a section of similar oddites in the air all at once?
I remember reading some of the later Professor Branestawm books in my childhood. Usually his inventions were unique, so probably not - the Heath Robinson illustration is for one of the first, which I haven't read.

Some publicity shots of the Citroen DS used to advertise its hydropneumatic suspension.

Attachments

• 350195063_64ad43072c_o.jpg
    350195063_64ad43072c_o.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 350195150_139d2b15c7.jpg
    350195150_139d2b15c7.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 357549541_201983677b.jpg
    357549541_201983677b.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8899.JPG
    IMG_8899.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 22
Now, this one is interesting because art becomes reality...

This jet glider thing in the anime movie Nausicaa

1649786089699.png

Was replicated in real life and flown

1649786156898.png

Occasionally nature will let something slip by. Rocket gods are crueler. They let the Totem Beast Saturns be flawless due the size of those sacrificial stages and call-out chants lulling them to sleep. Now here comes Elon Kratos.

Hi,
can we consider this Baranowski flying-machine a humorous design.
Well, it is most likely not either/or regarding humorous or not humorous, but rather both. The distinction lies between intention and perception.

Designs of the 19th century like the steam driven plane were considered to may be possible in some future, and not meant to be humorous.

Look at it now, with the kowledge at hand of all the aeronautical development that had happend since then, with all he proficiencies gained, you may find humorous what you see, even ridiculous.

However, that‘s not what this thread is about. It is about fictional aircraft that were intended to be funny, be it back in the day or at present.

And no, the Baranowski is not a humorous design. A humorous design has to be designed humorously, with the intend to be funny. The Baranoeski represented a serious proposal, however improbable, or even ridiculous, when you look it it now.

Last edited:
Look for a copy of Bruce McCall's book Zany Afternoons, which mostly consists of illustrations of imaginary aircraft, cars, ships and buildings from around the 1930s. A couple of examples I found on the web:

and so on!
GREAT! Great great great!

They were published first in National Lampoon, early 80s. Here some more:

Also, somebody made a CGI of the Dombrowski-Sedlitz: