222.5 KB · Views: 400
  • gemini rogallo_01.jpg
    gemini rogallo_01.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 340
  • gemini rogallo_02.jpg
    gemini rogallo_02.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 336
Archipeppe,

Now THIS got my attention. Outstanding chronology. I have often wondered what the Mercury Mark II would have looked like. Thank you very much.

SAustin16 said:
Archipeppe,
Now THIS got my attention. Outstanding chronology. I have often wondered what the Mercury Mark II would have looked like. Thank you very much.

starviking said:
Great work Archipeppe!

Many thanks sirs. :)

Great job indeed! Would you mind if I repost 'gemini rogallo_02.jpg' over in the Rogallo / Para Wing Projects thread?

Dear Archipeppe,

sorry but I disagree with your intepretation of the hatches on Mercury Mark II. Not quite the right shape and I do not think the windows were recessed as in proper Gemini. I have erased a bit of this diagram to show the hatch/window more clearly.
Regards,
Barry
ps I do love your artwork though...

Attachments

• fig6.jpg
    fig6.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 220
  • fig7.jpg
    fig7.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 89
Barrington Bond said:
Dear Archipeppe,

sorry but I disagree with your intepretation of the hatches on Mercury Mark II. Not quite the right shape and I do not think the windows were recessed as in proper Gemini. I have erased a bit of this diagram to show the hatch/window more clearly.
Regards,
Barry
ps I do love your artwork though...

No problem Barry.
As you wrote they are personal interpretation not to take as Bible... ;)

Anyway I'm always open to modify and improve my drawings in case of clear references.
For instance I've always seen the images you have enclosed above but never focused about the real shape of windows.

Archippe,
I did think it was a bit of an amalgam of several scantily detailed drawings - however keep up the good work :)
Regards,
Barry

Barrington Bond said:
Archippe,
I did think it was a bit of an amalgam of several scantily detailed drawings - however keep up the good work :)
Regards,
Barry

Probably you're right, my job was influeced by all the images published at that times.
Anyway I thank you for your kind words as also for your (constructive) criticism. ;)

Picture found on X
sadly no source on were they come from
show Mercury Mark II / Gemini with Escape Tower

Attachments

• E-MASgSXIAEQcGs.jpg
    E-MASgSXIAEQcGs.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 26
  • GGM7NJHXUAAHNdh.jpeg
    GGM7NJHXUAAHNdh.jpeg
    195.9 KB · Views: 35
Dear Michel, it is an interesting find.
I've never seen a Gemini with Escape Tower, especially the one used for Mercury (or at least quite similiar).

The only thing that came to my mind is that in the early stage of Mercury MkII/Gemini design, considering the Rogallo wing landing item, ejection seats were ruled out. Even if, in a later stage, ejection seats and Rogallo wing cohexisted almost until the end.

It worhts to note that the Big Gemini actually envisioned an Escape Tower (even if derived from Apollo rather than Mercury).

During Mercury mark II design had Escape Tower, until Jim Chamberlin join the project
Since MM2 used "less" explosive Titan II instead of Atlas Mercury
Chamberlin order removal of the Escape Tower and instalment of ejections seats

McDonnell continue proposal for Gemini Escape Tower for their Lunar Lander, Lunar Orbiter and MORL ferry Gemini.
Since they launch on Saturn V or Saturn IB

USAF consider for a while Escape tower on Blue Gemini for MOL
In end they adapted the design of Retro Module with 6 solids to use this as escape system.