French APC of 1948

Petrus

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Here are drawings showing an APC project designed by the French AMX company in October 1948. Besides you may find the calculation of the vehicle's weights coming from original design charts. Unfortunately its dimensions remain unknown.
Perhaps someone knows more about this project. Any input would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Piotr

Attachments

• VTT_01.PNG
    VTT_01.PNG
    36.6 KB · Views: 186
  • VTT_02.PNG
    VTT_02.PNG
    17 KB · Views: 161
  • VTT_03.PNG
    VTT_03.PNG
    84.6 KB · Views: 155
Sorry, I know nothing about it, but for me, the only clue, that could lead
to a rough estimation of the dimensions, seems to be the use of the MG 151 ... ???

Attachments

• APC_MG151.GIF
    APC_MG151.GIF
    36.2 KB · Views: 160
Well, in the meantime I've tried yet another approach.

The drawing, which comes from http://www.servicehistorique.sga.defense.gouv.fr/02fonds-collections/banquedocuments/materiel_armement/amx_blinde.php, is in its original size (104.76 x 58.62 cm) and - if I understand a French term "echelle" correctly - it is in the 1:10 scale. So I opened it with the Photoshop and using rulers and a grid (not so simple a task for somebody not familiar with the software) I tried to establish the dimensions of the vehicle. Its side view turned to be 51 cm long, its front view - 25 cm wide, and height of the silhouette - 19.5 cm (to the gun's top) and 16 cm (to the hull's top). Multiplying the values by ten has given following dimensions of the real (i.e. projected) vehicle: length - 5.1 m, width - 2.5 m, height - 1.6/1.95 m.

It seems then the vehicle was to be smaller that the later AMX-VTT. It is interesting that the French conceived in the late 1940s a vehicle armed with a 20-mm automatic cannon, something belonging to the same class that the HS-30 Schutzenpanzerwagen rather than a simple armoured personnel carrier. By the way I wonder how they wanted to squeeze in it ten troops besides the driver and the gunner; the sizeable MG151 mounting (ring? cupola?) wouldn't have left much space inside for troops, don't you think?

Best regards,
Piotr