For Ol' Blighty: Fairey F-155 Interceptor

What's the story on the missile in the image you sent me. I'd like to make as detailed a rendering of that as possible. Also the nozzle. Any examples of analogous designs I can "draw" from?

It's looking awesome, but one little nit-pick. It looks like the lines for the moveable outer leading edge section of the intake are missing. You can see it well here in the isometric views at the beginning of the post and down further in the top view of the Front Fuselage Structure.

I really like that sort of "bronze-ish" metal effect your profiles have. I've always had trouble simulating metal surfaces.

They're there. You just can't resolve it in the substantially downsized image I posted.

That said it isn't finished either so any criticism might better be saved for later. ;D A great deal of detail remains regarding seams and the like. I'll be done soon.

That said...have you noticed there appears to be no consensus among the various references posted regarding some of the shape and structural elements? I changed the rudder after Overscan sent me a new illo showing a different hinge point. I guess if I'm close enough that'll work fine for me. I'll be sure to embellish the door seam more on the intake.

Yeah, I've noticed. Also, if you get more info on the nozzles, let me know as well. I haven't figured out if what we see on the outside is the nozzle, or like many aircraft of the era, a shroud over the nozzle.

Yeah, I've noticed. Also, if you get more info on the nozzles, let me know as well. I haven't figured out if what we see on the outside is the nozzle, or like many aircraft of the era, a shroud over the nozzle.

Yeah...what up with the nozzles? We'll see later...

I embellished the intake door more though. I realize I made it too faint. ;D

Attachments

• F-155.jpg
    F-155.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 254
Read through the brochure, it doesn't say much relevant. The whole rear section was a single steel structure incorporating the reheat nozzles. At a guess, it had convergent nozzles inside a steel shroud.

index.php

Wow, beautiful artwork! Any more of this, by chance? ::)

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3083.0/highlight,fairey+f155t.html

Hi prolific1 .... we need some new smilies like the two below ... I'm completely speechless.

What an impressive bird and like Your other profiles it gives the right feeling how that beast & beauty would have looked like.

Thanks a lot ...

Deino

Attachments

• Bowdown.gif
    Bowdown.gif
    265 bytes · Views: 612
  • Jump.gif
    Jump.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 613
Wow guys...thanks! Thanks for the accolades. I managed to get my computer working...albeit slowly and with some bugginess...but working nonetheless. I'm gonna try to wrap it up soon when I have some time. I'm looking to knock out two birds every week and a half and then go back at some point and make the other four views of everything I made (top, bottom, front, and back).

Thanks for adding the intake door. This has been on my MSFS modeling list for a long time, but I have other stuff more pressing right now. It would be great if we had some shots of the cockpit panel design for such an effort, but I'm sure I could make up something believable based on what was in service back then.

Any idea, what unit / markings You will use ?? ... I would suggest a scheme as shown on Tony Buttler's book ....

Attachments

• TE6448P.jpg
    TE6448P.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 159
I could if you think it would be better. I already made it into No.19 Squadron. I could use some better references for British aircraft markings but I "winged" it enough with what I had.

Yeah. How about the X-Wing Avro fighter that was entered in a US Navy competition in the mid-1950s? I'm sure you'd do wonders with this!!!

(Oh, by the way, the F.155T is just AWESOME!).

prolific1 said:
Thanks!

Avro made some amazing stuff. Any info on the X-Wing?

Sure. Check this out: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6279

I'm trying to refurb my P.1129. When I made it I hadn't ironed out this painting in Photoshop business so I kind of screwed it up. Now I have a system so I'm salvaging it.

Not sure which one I'm doing next.

Those pylons look a bit spindly for the size and weight of the Red Hebe missile, don't you think?

Otherwise its a nice picture, indeed!

Those pylons look a bit spindly for the size and weight of the Red Hebe missile, don't you think?

Otherwise its a nice picture, indeed!

I made them exactly as they appeared in the reference illustrations. Didn't do any embellishment in that department.
Thanks though.

That looks super!!

Stargazer2006 said:
Sure. Check this out: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6279
What would the engines look like though? I am sure something of the thrust vectoring system should be visible from the side?

As for suggestions... how about one of the Northrop heavy interceptors (like the N-126) or one of the Missileer projects (like the V-434)?

Skyraider3D said:
I am sure something of the thrust vectoring system should be visible from the side?

If you look at the pic of the X-Wing on the ground from the rear three quarter view, you can see the lift nozzles on the bottom rear of each nacelle. My guess is there is simply a blocker that redirects air from the normal flight nozzle and down out the bottom back section of the nacelle.My guess is they used louvers to direct the flow, which were possibly also the lift nozzle cover.

Yup, something like that was my conclusion too. But I do wonder how they fit all those mechanisms in such a sleek nacelle. And moreover, where goes the fuel in that sleek fuselage with internal missile launchers? Anyway, it's a cool design and it would be great to see a profile of it. Or perhaps some 3D art too... ;) ;D

Back
Top Bottom