I meant literal water droplets/sea spray, as I understand it, this is why LCS ships use the radar guided Hellfire instead of the longer ranged/improved laser guided -Rs that things like Seahawks use. But since the actual LMM doesn't have the terminal IR seeker that doesn't seem to be the case.

Doh. Sorry about that confusion.

My understanding is that the main reason the Navy used Longbow Hellfire on the LCS SSMM is that they basically got them as Army surplus. But they also like the idea of being able to volley fire the missiles at small boat swarms without needing to switch a laser from target to target.

I meant literal water droplets/sea spray, as I understand it, this is why LCS ships use the radar guided Hellfire instead of the longer ranged/improved laser guided -Rs that things like Seahawks use. But since the actual LMM doesn't have the terminal IR seeker that doesn't seem to be the case.

"Terminal IR" homing just seems to be very much a gimmick though. None of the benefits of fully autonomous engagement and all the downsides of requiring a man in the loop (almost) all the way. You get a marginally faster cycle time I guess? Martlet's IR seeker might find buyers if it had fully autonomous guidance like Igla/Stinger. There's not much benefit to having a halfway house between CLOS and IR, really, unless you're trying to improve a old CLOS design (like TOW). SALH is fine though, since it lets you fire shots from behind obstacles, like a anti-aircraft Swingfire or something.

It's just sorta bizarre for what is apparently a clean-sheet missile though.

Radar guidance allows Hellfire to be volley fired against multiple FIAC's in all weathers. Similar to the Brimstone/Sea Spear.

Thales have mentioned IIR homing seperately, and if it was delivered it would be a full seeker head to enable fire and forget operations. If you look at the graphic it actually says 'Low Cost Terminal Homer'. No mention of IR...and they never specified exactly what that meant. Could be optical with scene/target matching for example...

Best not to think of it as a clean sheet design, it is essentially Thales raiding the parts bin to create a 'new' missile for specific roles. Similar to how APKWS works for the US. Both APKWS and Martlet are very similar in some aspects. If they were on a venn diagram together they would overlap..but not totally.

A daytime CCD EO kit would be almost as wild as Berezok's use of a laser active IR illuminator.

I am absolutely here for it.

Thales out here paving the way for the "day" and "night" use multipurpose man operated missiles. Just give Martlet a top-attack autopilot and HEDP warhead for tank busting (or like that weird French whole-diameter hollow charge), and you have a cute little missile to compliment, the obese Starstreak and beaucoup bucks Javelin.

Probably would be easier to lug around than NLAW.

Last edited:
Not my point really.
I agree a selection of options is best to deal with the variety of potential targets.

What I meant however was the integration of MANPADS sensor data into the GBAD and wider missile targeting network.
So that Squad A might have a few Anti-Aircraft missiles available. Just pull one off a poor sods pack (to his great relief) Site upright and let the network pass over the target from Squad B over the hill. Who've used up all their SAMs but might still have a round available for Squad C who just heard an armoured vehicle start up round the corner of the village main road.

And if in turn Squad D passes over MANPADS sensor data of a fast jet passing by....then nearest Ceptor battery might engage.

And if Squad C doesn't get the result from Squad B's light anti-armour round, maybe said Ceptor battery also has a few VL anti-tank rounds available.....

And even if the jet isn't downed by Ceptor. The data can be passed to a Typhoon or Lightning II who can vector in for a AAM shot........and if the Ceptor battery hasn't sny anti-armour missiles msybe the RAF can deliver a Brimstone ?

Last edited:
All of that except the MPADS part (does the rifle squad carry a TDAR on a Papal sedan?) is effectively in IBCS, except you include naval and airborne radars with that. So E-3s, Joint STARS, Aegis, SPY-6, Sentinel, and F-35 can all talk to each other and contribute to a single picture that datalinks together and all of them can perform shots with each others' weapons that can be guided by any other system.

As you'd imagine this is an incredibly complex undertaking that will either be widely disappointing or extraordinarily successful, but it's still very much a work in progress. It was only just recently (as in the last year or two) that the Army managed to integrate AFATDS with an Air Force battle command system to allow for USAF pilots to get targeting data from WLRs or something I think.

As for the "men know a plane is coming". Yes, that's called a TADDS, but it's not very new.

Stinger teams have (had?) little PPI radio sets that could sync up with FAAR radars. You'd connect it to the radar so the PPI is centered on it, mark your fire position with a grease pen, and it'd tell you when a plane is coming. Field telephone to the Stinger team or shouting very loud accomplishes the engagement. It's only useful for busting high speed stuff like Fencers and Frogfoots (Frogfeet?) since those dudes haul and the TADDS has a whopping 5 kilometers resolution on its display.

Probably because TADDS was caveman technology that used things like magnetic compass, lacked stuff like digital computers to store locations or whatever, and required a lot of fiddling, it got thrown in the bin I think. Maybe there's a modern one that uses GPS though IDK.

Helicopters are slow and loud enough that you can generally get a bearing on them by just looking around, unless you're in an urban canyon or something that bounces the sound around (why is a LAADS team not on a roof?) I guess.

I imagine the missile gunner would only have a weapon-round with a gripstock, PAS-18, and be able to do LOS shots, since he isn't in a position where he needs to lase a target but can't hit it with a weapon for some reason. Team chief, who is responsible for pointing at stuff for the gunner to kill that he hears about over the radio, might be ordered to deliver a SALH shot, with designation by a rifle platoon forward, and the LAADS team fires it from a few miles back and swats the copter. It just wouldn't be squad level though. That's too small for such a niche weapon.

If a rifle squad can engage a helicopter they'll be doing it with a Javelin, Bushmaster, or the SAW or M60/M240. A fast jet isn't something they can track reliably, no one can, which is why they're tracked with radars to begin with. You'll get a glimpse of a strike group or something and then it's out of range after like 10 seconds. You'd have a Sentinel or a TDAR setup (mechanized or light infantry) and the LAADS teams are positioned in dominant terrains with good open sky views in the first place. Something like a TADDS feeds PPI data back to the LAADS team and gives them the heads up.

Since generally an attack group of Frogfoots rolls in at 50 feet or less AGL on a defended target, and something like a TDAR will be setup on a hill or small building, the attack jets would be detected at around 25-30 kilometers give or take from the radar and you'd have about a minute or so to get the weapon-round ready, shouldered, the LAADS team in position, and the gunner and team chief scanning the sky for the incoming attack they're pretty much on top of you.

You want to hit them on the incoming because they'll be dumping flares during the entire attack ingress, and moving around a lot after passing over you, so you'll probably miss a tail shot. An incoming rocket launch might make them abort too, but Frogfoot drivers were, and apparently still are (there's a video of a Frogfoot tanking a Igla shot and rolling back in to fire his rockets on the LAADS team from February or March around Kherson) incredibly tough hombres.

It's plainly not something infantry can pull off by themselves, because they're either getting only a fraction of the time, which is maybe 15 to 20 seconds at most, needed to ready a weapon-round and return fire. You'll see some tracer rounds, and a Bradley could track a Frogfoot with its electric drive, but good luck hitting a jet in passing with that if he's crossing you further than a kilometer or so.

This is the most likely use case for a SALH MPADS that I can think of: long-range anti-helicopter fires guided by the rifle platoon's laser designators or tracked vehicles' laser rangefinders. At least it's one that doesn't require anything complicated like an IBCS terminal, nor an actual LAADS team leapfrogging with the platoon, neither of which strike me as realistic. That said it's a really weird concept because to be frank, the thing that is designating in most cases would already have a missile to shoot a helicopter, or other just-as-lethal weapons it can use, like belt-fed machine guns or Bushmasters.

It would make more sense if Martlet could engage motor rifles or tanks and served as a general purpose lightweight missile. It has a significant range so it would let you get away with a looser density of things like Javelins or TOWs in addition to swatting periodic helicopters.

Maybe given that Ukraine in particular is apparently still flat as a pancake and comes covered in Bocage-style 200 meters lines of sight and 2 story barns, tops, this sort of lobbed, multipurpose, all-target laser guided missile could be extremely useful in close situations. It would demand each platoon or rifle squad carry something like a GVLLDS though, but like I said they're tiny these days. You'd just make a rifleman carry it like German sergeants made their riflemen carry the HK grenade pistols.

I guess you'd be thinking of it as less a MPADS and more a man-portable Copperhead.

tl;dr You can't get rid of a LAADS team because an air defense missile is far too niche of a weapon to be useful to anything less than a company or a battalion in significant quantity. A platoon of mechanized troops might carry a single weapon round, maybe two, on the back of a Bradley.

The other problem is there's no particular use case or even real scenario where what you described happens.

Low altitude attack jets are fast, can quickly escape attack range during a tail chase, and they are best killed during the ingress and not the egress, for obvious reasons. Which is why you track them with radars, not with eyesight. Which requires specialized equipment that doesn't move (neither the radar nor the TADDS). The placement of a LAADS team is invariably going to be places where infantry decidedly do not want to go (i.e. high up with unobstructed lines of sight), and much like trying to combine a line-of-sight anti-tank missile with a line-of-sight anti-aircraft weapon, is not something that should be done.

That's the kind of sort of wild and divorced-from-reality thinking that led to stuff like MMEV a decade ago.

But as long as you have a guidance method that isn't line of sight, whether that's fiber optics or SALH, you're fine just putting them in a position that allows clear firing in the general direction of the enemy should be okay. That doesn't mean giving infantrymen MPADS though. Like, at all. They have rifles if they want to shoot at the airplane.

Last edited:
All of that except the MPADS part (does the rifle squad carry a TDAR on a Papal sedan?) is effectively in IBCS, except you include naval and airborne radars with that. So E-3s, Joint STARS, Aegis, SPY-6, Sentinel, and F-35 can all talk to each other and contribute to a single picture that datalinks together and all of them can perform shots with each others' weapons that can be guided by any other system.

As you'd imagine this is an incredibly complex undertaking that will either be widely disappointing or extraordinarily successful, but it's still very much a work in progress. It was only just recently (as in the last year or two) that the Army managed to integrate AFATDS with an Air Force battle command system to allow for USAF pilots to get targeting data from WLRs or something I think.

As for the "men know a plane is coming". Yes, that's called a TADDS, but it's not very new.

Stinger teams have (had?) little PPI radio sets that could sync up with FAAR radars. You'd connect it to the radar so the PPI is centered on it, mark your fire position with a grease pen, and it'd tell you when a plane is coming. Field telephone to the Stinger team or shouting very loud accomplishes the engagement. It's only useful for busting high speed stuff like Fencers and Frogfoots (Frogfeet?) since those dudes haul and the TADDS has a whopping 5 kilometers resolution on its display.

Probably because TADDS was caveman technology that used things like magnetic compass, lacked stuff like digital computers to store locations or whatever, and required a lot of fiddling, it got thrown in the bin I think. Maybe there's a modern one that uses GPS though IDK.

Helicopters are slow and loud enough that you can generally get a bearing on them by just looking around, unless you're in an urban canyon or something that bounces the sound around (why is a LAADS team not on a roof?) I guess.

I imagine the missile gunner would only have a weapon-round with a gripstock, PAS-18, and be able to do LOS shots, since he isn't in a position where he needs to lase a target but can't hit it with a weapon for some reason. Team chief, who is responsible for pointing at stuff for the gunner to kill that he hears about over the radio, might be ordered to deliver a SALH shot, with designation by a rifle platoon forward, and the LAADS team fires it from a few miles back and swats the copter. It just wouldn't be squad level though. That's too small for such a niche weapon.

If a rifle squad can engage a helicopter they'll be doing it with a Javelin, Bushmaster, or the SAW or M60/M240. A fast jet isn't something they can track reliably, no one can, which is why they're tracked with radars to begin with. You'll get a glimpse of a strike group or something and then it's out of range after like 10 seconds. You'd have a Sentinel or a TDAR setup (mechanized or light infantry) and the LAADS teams are positioned in dominant terrains with good open sky views in the first place. Something like a TADDS feeds PPI data back to the LAADS team and gives them the heads up.

Since generally an attack group of Frogfoots rolls in at 50 feet or less AGL on a defended target, and something like a TDAR will be setup on a hill or small building, the attack jets would be detected at around 25-30 kilometers give or take from the radar and you'd have about a minute or so to get the weapon-round ready, shouldered, the LAADS team in position, and the gunner and team chief scanning the sky for the incoming attack they're pretty much on top of you.

You want to hit them on the incoming because they'll be dumping flares during the entire attack ingress, and moving around a lot after passing over you, so you'll probably miss a tail shot. An incoming rocket launch might make them abort too, but Frogfoot drivers were, and apparently still are (there's a video of a Frogfoot tanking a Igla shot and rolling back in to fire his rockets on the LAADS team from February or March around Kherson) incredibly tough hombres.

It's plainly not something infantry can pull off by themselves, because they're either getting only a fraction of the time, which is maybe 15 to 20 seconds at most, needed to ready a weapon-round and return fire. You'll see some tracer rounds, and a Bradley could track a Frogfoot with its electric drive, but good luck hitting a jet in passing with that if he's crossing you further than a kilometer or so.

This is the most likely use case for a SALH MPADS that I can think of: long-range anti-helicopter fires guided by the rifle platoon's laser designators or tracked vehicles' laser rangefinders. At least it's one that doesn't require anything complicated like an IBCS terminal, nor an actual LAADS team leapfrogging with the platoon, neither of which strike me as realistic. That said it's a really weird concept because to be frank, the thing that is designating in most cases would already have a missile to shoot a helicopter, or other just-as-lethal weapons it can use, like belt-fed machine guns or Bushmasters.

It would make more sense if Martlet could engage motor rifles or tanks and served as a general purpose lightweight missile. It has a significant range so it would let you get away with a looser density of things like Javelins or TOWs in addition to swatting periodic helicopters.

Maybe given that Ukraine in particular is apparently still flat as a pancake and comes covered in Bocage-style 200 meters lines of sight and 2 story barns, tops, this sort of lobbed, multipurpose, all-target laser guided missile could be extremely useful in close situations. It would demand each platoon or rifle squad carry something like a GVLLDS though, but like I said they're tiny these days. You'd just make a rifleman carry it like German sergeants made their riflemen carry the HK grenade pistols.

I guess you'd be thinking of it as less a MPADS and more a man-portable Copperhead.

tl;dr You can't get rid of a LAADS team because an air defense missile is far too niche of a weapon to be useful to anything less than a company or a battalion in significant quantity. A platoon of mechanized troops might carry a single weapon round, maybe two, on the back of a Bradley.

The other problem is there's no particular use case or even real scenario where what you described happens.

Low altitude attack jets are fast, can quickly escape attack range during a tail chase, and they are best killed during the ingress and not the egress, for obvious reasons. Which is why you track them with radars, not with eyesight. Which requires specialized equipment that doesn't move (neither the radar nor the TADDS). The placement of a LAADS team is invariably going to be places where infantry decidedly do not want to go (i.e. high up with unobstructed lines of sight), and much like trying to combine a line-of-sight anti-tank missile with a line-of-sight anti-aircraft weapon, is not something that should be done.

That's the kind of sort of wild and divorced-from-reality thinking that led to stuff like MMEV a decade ago.

But as long as you have a guidance method that isn't line of sight, whether that's fiber optics or SALH, you're fine just putting them in a position that allows clear firing in the general direction of the enemy should be okay. That doesn't mean giving infantrymen MPADS though. Like, at all. They have rifles if they want to shoot at the airplane.
And yet when the army tried out mmev they found it was the best anti air available, and did not buy because of the end of the cold war drawdown, frankly I haven't heard anything bad about it but thats probably because it never got the opportunity to be put to use like stinger has.

An MMEV could make the best use of a famlly of modular mult-purpose small missiles and a Bushmaster III 50mm w/CRAM rds but the vehicle could tow an extra gun based on another cancelled project. The Ford Aerospace LADS AA gun. Even MRL barrages might be threatened.
1662140116468.png

i made this
And yet when the army tried out mmev they found it was the best anti air available, and did not buy because of the end of the cold war drawdown,

I'm sure they did. Nothing ADATS, or its more disturbed cousin MMEV, brought to the table is particularly useful for a Stinger replacement, though. You need to be able to carry that in your hands.

frankly I haven't heard anything bad about it

I suppose you have not looked then? The defense counsel and ministers of Canada and the defense staff were rather critical of the idea as being rather dumb. The only people who supported it in the first place were the Parliamentarians, who simply had rather primitive ideas of industrial economics. The Army wanted tracklaying tanks if it could get them and didn't particularly like MMEV because the approximately 36 MMEVs for 3 CMBGs would mean each CMBG gets about 12 vehicles.

That's enough for a single battalion out of three I guess, unless you procure additional anti-tank and reactive artillery means, and relegate MMEV to purely air defense. Which is what happened in the end, and Canada made the same choice that America did, however belatedly.

but thats probably because it never got the opportunity to be put to use like stinger has.

No, it is because the aspects of anti-tank, reactive artillery, and anti-aircraft weapons are entirely different.

MMEV's mission set covered all of those basic jobs to support MGS in "mobile offensive combat" or something because I guess Canadian politicians believe that mechanized actions resemble video games like War Thunder or something and these vehicles are literally within eyesight of each other? Not several miles away from each other and needing radio retransmission or telephone switchboards to talk.

After all, battlefields are not some lining up of figurines or large blocks of troops like a Warhammer table. They require considerations of important terrain factors, many of which are mutually exclusive to certain weapon means, and none of which can be done without this consideration. MMEV, like any other weapon, is bound to these mutually exclusive elements of the terrains. Thus, a typical battalion's equipment park of six reactive artillery pieces, four anti-tank missile carriers, and two air defense missile carriers, would require 12 vehicles to replace in totality.

These vehicles could, and occasionally (perhaps even often!) are, the exact same chassis, but they cannot be the exact same vehicles. This is quite literally impossible, as unless there is some new type of transportation method available, I have yet to see a vehicle which can exist in two places at once.

I suspect the reason for MMEV's marketing campaign aimed at extolling its "virtues" of being able to perform multiple missions or whatever was really just a lame attempt to downplay the fact that Canada was dispensing of equipment vital for its mechanized forces to fight other mechanized units, since its economy could not (and still cannot) supply the requisite vehicles. Canada's respectable defense establishment saw through this, but apparently had trouble explaining this to their civil support staffs, and one of the major criticisms of MMEV was that it was too multipurpose, and that these abilities were not as useful as advertised. When it came down to burning things on the altar of austerity, the MMEV was one of the first to go.

The same thing happened with the Leopard 1s, except people complained much louder about the lack of tanks than they did the lack of air defense, reactive artillery, or anti-tank vehicles in the Canadian Mechanized Brigades, and the Canadian government had to (rather embarrassingly!) procure some used Leopard 2s from the Netherlands instead. Which is why Canada has enough tanks for all CMBGs, and rather good ones at that, rather than the poison pill that would Stryker MGS. The maximum allotment of MMEVs was something around 32 or 36. It fluctuated at points, presumably because some of the ADATS turrets had become broken over the past decade I guess.

Thankfully for their Mechanized Brigade Groups, the Canadians have not encountered situations where lightweight reactive artillery, short-range fast-reaction air defense systems, or long-range anti-tank missile means are actually required, much less on the same vehicle, so the MMEVs would have been useless for a long time at their "main" job (reactive artillery and smokelaying, I think), and where they weren't useless, alternative weapon systems (LAV III TUA) were found.

As it stands, I have always wondered why the ADATS simply had to be a combination of two entirely opposed natures. Surely the laser ACLOS method itself was improvement enough over the Roland/Osa-type guidance method of radar ACLOS? Perhaps Oerlikon Contraves was simply not as clever as they thought they were, and in attempting to compete in both the anti-tank missile and anti-aircraft markets (pick one), they chose to try to do both and did neither instead. It truly boggles my mind.

That said, America is making new air defense vehicles using the latest version of the Canadian AVGP chassis, so it is very likely that Canada may regain some capacity in its brigades for short range air defense means in the near future, should it be able to afford placing contracts at its own factory.

Last edited:
i made this
And yet when the army tried out mmev they found it was the best anti air available, and did not buy because of the end of the cold war drawdown,

I'm sure they did. Nothing ADATS, or its more disturbed cousin MMEV, brought to the table is particularly useful for a Stinger replacement, though. You need to be able to carry that in your hands.
yes, a family of modular missiles needs manportable AA, AP, AT, anti-fortification versions.
ADATS is passe yes.

I suppose you have not looked then? The defense counsel and ministers of Canada and the defense staff were rather critical of the idea as being rather dumb. The only people who supported it in the first place were the Parliamentarians, who simply had rather primitive ideas of industrial economics. The Army wanted tracklaying tanks if it could get them and didn't particularly like MMEV because the approximately 36 MMEVs for 3 CMBGs would mean each CMBG gets about 12 vehicles.
Each IFV Stryker would have at least one shot at a helicopter with one AA missile, preferably 2xAA and 2xAT along w/ the Bushmaster III 35mm.

A dedicated missile vehicle would be multi-mission w/ a deep missile magazine while a IFV Stryker would mount a AT and AA missile on the side of the Gun turret.

A new MMEV would have a 50mm Bushmaster III and reloadable small diameter Modular missiles and no troop carrying. A new MMEV would carry a number of missiles in the hull, being automatically loaded into multiple launch tubes. A true multiple missile carrier against helicopters and armor but also as a CRAM vehicle is the goal. Whether a Laser DEW's power source is small and light enough to mount on a proposed MMEV 2 is not known. It might be best to mount lasers on dedicated vehicles so they have deep magazine.

Okay but MMEV was literally just Canada trying to make their highly questionable purchase of a tiny quantity of overpriced, overbuilt air defense systems at the end of the Cold Wwar into something vaguely useful, while not having enough money/political will to purchase a requisite quantity of AFVs to replace their things 1:1, which meant MMEV had to wear multiple hats without increasing in real quantity.

Thankfully MMEV is dead forever though.

Dunno what that has to do with a new MPADS the US Army wants.

MMEV was as close to a multi-mission missile vehicle. Stryker is generally the form factor such a missile truck would need to take.

Developing a MPADS only seems short sighted when so many other missions are out there. All of these family of multi-mission missiles need a manportable version. Ideally the existing Carl Gustavs would serve a manportable launcher to provide even more options but 77mm vs 84mm is a problem though.

IM-SHORAD isn't a mile away from the MMEV concept -- Stinger, Hellfire, and a 30mm gun (albeit a low-velocity one firing HE-Prox).

As far as the relation to Stinger follow-on, I think it probably hints at how the Army seems future SHORAD -- a combination of C-UAS and traditional SAM plus some direct-fire engagement capability. The experiments with sharing a firing post between Stinger and Javelin are also suggestive.

Basically, the US Army needs C-UAS and wants to roll that together with conventional AD but also hopes that it will continue to operate under a USAF air dominance umbrella and wants to have the option of using ita AD assets for other tasks if AD isn't required. I'd expect the Stinger follow-on to follow that same philosophy. Martlet is probably a really appealing model in this regard.

If Joint Common Missile becomes like SPEAR 3 in long range it can justify being carried on IM-SHORAD but otherwise a common smaller family of multi-mission missile truck w/ a 50mm BM III CRAM should be exclusive.

..would have to argue that C-UAS needs ultimately to be accomplished w/ rearmable armed UASs launched from a dedicated a Offensive/Defensive UAS Mothership vehicle either manned or unmanned itself. Counter the swarm w/ one's own armed reusable rearmable swarm. Emphasis for those UAS would be to counter multiple UAS swarm launch sites so the swarms do not keep coming.

IM-SHORAD isn't a mile away from the MMEV concept -- Stinger, Hellfire, and a 30mm gun (albeit a low-velocity one firing HE-Prox).

In armament, sure, but in theory it's not even in the same post code. That's going to decide a lot of stuff about how it's built, what's put into it, and how operators are trained to deploy it. Most of which will be detrimental to its most obvious job of low altitude air defense.

IM-SHORAD's stuff is all intended to be for purpose of low altitude air defense, for instance. It just has a lot of varied things because air defense includes a lot more things than "Ka-52 with Vikhr". Giving IM-SHORAD the ability to intercept missiles like Hermes-A with an MHTK would be the ultimate evolution of the complete modern air defense threat, but that would require a second rocket launcher pod I guess, but that is about all it's missing.

Even the Hellfires are for air defense, as they are supposed to be lobbed against attack helicopters doing pop-up attacks behind terrain features like hills and buildings, and this is why it integrates the Longbow mmW guided weapons as opposed to the laser guided -Rs. There's something about the Longbow Hellfires needing new software updates to recognize threat aviation via mmW signatures that was mentioned in one of the OSD documents. The 30mm is also for killing cheap DJI Phantoms/Group 1s (Rheinmetall and GD have done similar things for LATVs in recent years), and the Stinger is for Group 3s, so there isn't really any toe-stepping for IM-SHORAD.

While you can use the Hellfires against tanks of course, this is a bit like describing a 2S6 as an "infantry support vehicle" because its twin 30mms are more lethal than the single 30mm of the BMP-2. It's not wrong, but it's sort of downplaying everything else. The intended job description and the weapon set fit means it's all coherent.

If being IM-SHORAD before IM-SHORAD was the intent of MMEV, then either it was incredibly poorly explained by the sitting government yet was incredibly far-sighted because stuff like the laser-guided CRV7 didn't even show up at Eurosatory until several years after MMEV became a program of record and APKWS I faceplanted in 2005, or it wasn't really the intent to begin with. I think the main reason for the ADATS proper was killing tanks at 8 km, because TOW wasn't considered good enough, and the IRIS-T was for killing fast jets (because somehow a laser guided hypersonic ACLOS missile can't?), and the CRV7s were for smoke laying and ballistic rocket artillery.

The knowledge base for smarter uses of the weapon set didn't exist yet, which means a lot of potentially unfortunate baggage would be carried by MMEV and likely never fixed, since MMEV couldn't even make it to the finish line, even if it was theoretically "ADATS on a LAV" it would go off in a wild and crazy direction before the proper pathway of updating the ADATS was found. By then it would be something weird.

Bear in mind that the earliest DLSC concepts envisioned the MMEV as wholly replacing direct fire guns with hypervelocity laser guided missiles and the ICV LAVs with the Bushmasters forming the main element of close firepower. No mentions of MGS at all. So it was fully intended to be a direct fire, ground support system leveraging ADATS most questionable feature (anti-tank capability) for its future. Thus it would be too ingrained for fire support and tank busting, and if we accept the True and Honest MMEV, it would be a Stryker MGS with a pair or quartet of ADATS slapped on the side (or CKEMs since they were really wanting a Mach 7 missile lololol) I guess.

As built it would probably just be impossibly weird and either be squared by the air defense troops or turned into a giga-TOW, with the reactive artillery aspects abandoned or left as a bizarre thing for gunners to wonder in 2015 why their SAM or tank killer has a "ballistic rocket firing" mode. The former would be better but the latter vastly more likely, as ADATS only sticks around in Canadian planning for its ability to slap T-80s silly at LOSAT ranges.

Of course without the smol cannon of the American ADATS it would also be a bit of a rubbish IM-SHORAD. Group 1/2 stowed kills would be in the dumpster. Maybe they could have the TC stand on the back, like a Sherman tank, with a pair of MAGs welded to the turret and swat the little quadcopters out of the sky with his machine guns. That would be too action movie-esque badass though.

MMEV mostly stands as a representation that how a workman uses his tools is more important than the tools themselves, IMO. Air defense went to sleep for almost 30 years and no one thought about it until about just recently, so nothing MMEV did was related to its main strengths or support of maneuver units in action against missile/helicopter/UAS threats, and I wouldn't trust the Canadian government to pay money to fix it from being a tank buster to a SHORAD either.

At least all the money that could have gone into MMEV went into getting a decent quantity of Leo 2s and now Canada can look forward to IM-SHORAD, or that very funny Avenger turret that makes me think Boeing might be going a bit senile, but even Boeing's Helicopter Hulker 9000 can mount MHTK or APKWS I guess.

Last edited:
i made this

That's enough for a single battalion out of three I guess, unless you procure additional anti-tank and reactive artillery means, and relegate MMEV to purely air defense. Which is what happened in the end, and Canada made the same choice that America did, however belatedly.

but thats probably because it never got the opportunity to be put to use like stinger has.

No, it is because the aspects of anti-tank, reactive artillery, and anti-aircraft weapons are entirely different.

MMEV's mission set covered all of those basic jobs to support MGS in "mobile offensive combat" or something because I guess Canadian politicians believe that mechanized actions resemble video games like War Thunder or something and these vehicles are literally within eyesight of each other? Not several miles away from each other and needing radio retransmission or telephone switchboards to talk.

After all, battlefields are not some lining up of figurines or large blocks of troops like a Warhammer table. They require considerations of important terrain factors, many of which are mutually exclusive to certain weapon means, and none of which can be done without this consideration. MMEV, like any other weapon, is bound to these mutually exclusive elements of the terrains. Thus, a typical battalion's equipment park of six reactive artillery pieces, four anti-tank missile carriers, and two air defense missile carriers, would require 12 vehicles to replace in totality.

These vehicles could, and occasionally (perhaps even often!) are, the exact same chassis, but they cannot be the exact same vehicles. This is quite literally impossible, as unless there is some new type of transportation method available, I have yet to see a vehicle which can exist in two places at once.

I suspect the reason for MMEV's marketing campaign aimed at extolling its "virtues" of being able to perform multiple missions or whatever was really just a lame attempt to downplay the fact that Canada was dispensing of equipment vital for its mechanized forces to fight other mechanized units, since its economy could not (and still cannot) supply the requisite vehicles. Canada's respectable defense establishment saw through this, but apparently had trouble explaining this to their civil support staffs, and one of the major criticisms of MMEV was that it was too multipurpose, and that these abilities were not as useful as advertised. When it came down to burning things on the altar of austerity, the MMEV was one of the first to go.

The same thing happened with the Leopard 1s, except people complained much louder about the lack of tanks than they did the lack of air defense, reactive artillery, or anti-tank vehicles in the Canadian Mechanized Brigades, and the Canadian government had to (rather embarrassingly!) procure some used Leopard 2s from the Netherlands instead. Which is why Canada has enough tanks for all CMBGs, and rather good ones at that, rather than the poison pill that would Stryker MGS. The maximum allotment of MMEVs was something around 32 or 36. It fluctuated at points, presumably because some of the ADATS turrets had become broken over the past decade I guess.

Thankfully for their Mechanized Brigade Groups, the Canadians have not encountered situations where lightweight reactive artillery, short-range fast-reaction air defense systems, or long-range anti-tank missile means are actually required, much less on the same vehicle, so the MMEVs would have been useless for a long time at their "main" job (reactive artillery and smokelaying, I think), and where they weren't useless, alternative weapon systems (LAV III TUA) were found.

As it stands, I have always wondered why the ADATS simply had to be a combination of two entirely opposed natures. Surely the laser ACLOS method itself was improvement enough over the Roland/Osa-type guidance method of radar ACLOS? Perhaps Oerlikon Contraves was simply not as clever as they thought they were, and in attempting to compete in both the anti-tank missile and anti-aircraft markets (pick one), they chose to try to do both and did neither instead. It truly boggles my mind.

That said, America is making new air defense vehicles using the latest version of the Canadian AVGP chassis, so it is very likely that Canada may regain some capacity in its brigades for short range air defense means in the near future, should it be able to afford placing contracts at its own factory.
And yet when the us army tried them out against littery every other air defense system made in the west it was considered the best out of the Bunch (had nothing to do with its anti tank capabilities ither that wasn't part of the requirements was was gust considered a bonus) plus all the examples you showed seem to have come from before the system was implemented because it seems to have become quite popular within the Canadian military after it was adopted. I don't know were the reactive artillery is coming from but is anti tank and anti air "completely different" missions because besides the warhead (wich was perfectly alright from what I can find) everything else can be the same, roket and guidance (after all its gust lazer beem riding, wether thats to a plane, helicopter or tank) it gust needs to have quicker reactions for air defense tastings wich is a bonus but not necessary for anti tank work.

This thread is about Stinger missiles and blowing up tiny things that fly. MMEV was brought up by you because it is built on a fairly respectable air defense system for its time, presumably on the confused notion that MMEV was an air defense vehicle. It wasn't, nor was it intended to be, because Canadian Parliamentarians from 2003 to 2006, the main phase of MMEV discussions, were weird.

It has nothing to do with the needs of modern air defense troops besides being similar in appearance (it's a LAV with a air defense turret on top, they all look the same to me) and being potentially good at it. While it might be a good start had Canada procured it as an air defense system. They didn't though. The closest analogy I can think of for the Canadian MMEV is the BMPT in all seriousness: long-range anti-armor missiles, intended for close protection of the tank troops in urban-rural nexus (strip villages) and open field combat, and massive close-range anti-RPG team firepower...

It certainly wouldn't be the first time a Canadian told me that a rapid fire chaingun and reactive artillery laid direct can replace a really big gun in close combat. That said I've seen rockets that can punch through rebar with annular charges, and Bushkie's HEI does a helluva job ripping apart concrete, so that dude might be right about being able to mousehole with a Bushmaster and a bazooka. I'd stick with the big guns myself.

While I'm not sure if Canada participated in, or held its own equivalent to, or merely fervently believed in, the Army After Next wargames from 1995 wherein the US Army imagined the idea of a horde of Iraqi tanks conquering Saudi Arabia and requiring urban combat in an occupied Riyadh and mobile warfare against Iraqi supertank divisions with obscene stuff like BMP-3 and T-95s, Mi-28s and Ka-50s, etc., a lot of MMEV's thinking mirrors LOSAT and CKEM much more than it does anything modern. Much like FCS, it was supposed to be "operationally mobile" on a wheeled chassis (the Red Army considered BTR operational mobility equivalent-at-best to BMP and tactical mobility worse, so yeah, you know now why the US Army wanted to use giant helicopters instead of wheeled chassis for that part), supposed to bust T-80s at longer ranges than the TOW, and eventually have a hypervelocity missile capable of reaching Mach 7 at 400 meters, and also be part of a CMBG that would divest itself of tanks entirely in favor of combined combat "sub-sub-sub-units ("sections"? we already have a word for sub-platoon units of tracklayers)" of 1 MMEV, 1 ICV, and, very later on, 1 MGS.

That's essentially BMPT except BMPT would be 1 MMEV and 2 MGS in ratio, but maybe the ICV is supposed to have a high angle short-range fire capability due to the immense minimum range of the MMEV in ground-ground firing? Since the CMBGs wouldn't engage in close combat at this stage of EXFOR/reorganization/"Transformation" because close combat is scawwy, there's not much a point in armor or anything useful.

It was just a real standout howler from a whole era of them TBH.

The real issues with MMEV are that its missile is overbuilt for its job, which means it's expensive, which means you will run out of ammo before the other guys run out of Group 3 UAS. The second issue is the lack of an automatic cannon, with its place being taken by the laser beamriding complex, and because of this it cannot reliably engage Group 1/2 UAS with any level of sustainability. This is why modern air defense systems mount anything from 25-40mm grenade launchers to 30-40mm cannons, all firing PABM rounds. A .30 cal won't cut it against a DJI Phantom but a few airburst rounds will rip it out of the sky. The final issue is that it has no significant integration of LOAL BLOS weapons like Hellfire. In theory, this could be done by Spike-NLOS, but the Canadians wanted that for long-range anti-armor fires, and Hellfire Longbow is better since it's a fully automatic system that just needs to be uncaged and given a INS killbox. Spike-NLOS would require the gunner take his focus off the immediate battlespace while flying his little rocket, potentially missing a second threat. This is a not an airy fairy idea either, as operator overload with robotic decoy aircraft is a perfectly valid means to defeat an NLOS man-in-the-loop system like Brimstone or Spike. Relatively more minor issues are lack of C-RAM capability.

The USMC's LAV-AD/Blazer turret would be a better starting point for "old ass rust heap we found in a scrapyard and wanna clean up to kill dudes," provided you can figure out how to fit a airburst fuse into a Bushmaster and slap a Longbow Hellfire or two on the side. This shouldn't be impossible since XM25 did it, and the Longbow Hellfire isn't that much heavier than the old 4-shot rack for the Linebacker.

Give it one of those cute little radars that the Swedes put on F-350s or Chevies or whatever, a dual feed of HE-AB and APDS like the Bushkie (and unlike the Equalizer AIUI), improved turret mounts/motors for handling up to 400 lbs of chunky rockets, put two Longbow Hellfires and a M310 2-rail launcher on one motor-mout, the other side has a MHTK pod and a Stinger pod, and you have something nice and decent-ish that might be able to even give limited C-RAM capacity to the mobile troops so it can shoot down Copperheads and Hermes ATGW.

Of course you'd mount it on a Bradley or something that can actually go cross country and carry rocket reloads internally.

Now there's a scale model waiting to happen, but if I made every Bradley scale model I could think of, I'd be suffocated by the weight of plastic and resin.

Last edited:

In armament, sure, but in theory it's not even in the same post code. That's going to decide a lot of stuff about how it's built, what's put into it, and how operators are trained to deploy it. Most of which will be detrimental to its most obvious job of low altitude air defense.

IM-SHORAD's stuff is all intended to be for purpose of low altitude air defense, for instance. It just has a lot of varied things because air defense includes a lot more things than "Ka-52 with Vikhr". Giving IM-SHORAD the ability to intercept missiles like Hermes-A with an MHTK would be the ultimate evolution of the complete modern air defense threat, but that would require a second rocket launcher pod I guess, but that is about all it's missing.
A follow on to stinger is not going to defend a tank or IFV from an ATGM like the Hermes -A, regardless of range. Main cbt vehicles will operate to far away from IM SHORAD. A 30mm X173mm PABM for one's tanks and IFVs wheeled or tracked will defend from lg ATGMs and close atking drones. A gun still needs to be considered as a primary or secondary Active Protection System (APS).

Even the Hellfires are for air defense, as they are supposed to be lobbed against attack helicopters doing pop-up attacks behind terrain features like hills and buildings, and this is why it integrates the Longbow mmW guided weapons as opposed to the laser guided -Rs. There's something about the Longbow Hellfires needing new software updates to recognize threat aviation via mmW signatures that was mentioned in one of the OSD documents. The 30mm is also for killing cheap DJI Phantoms/Group 1s (Rheinmetall and GD have done similar things for LATVs in recent years), and the Stinger is for Group 3s, so there isn't really any toe-stepping for IM-SHORAD.
Hellfire or a follow on like SPEAR 3 is also too expensive to use on anything short of a swarm launch vehicle like the PLA showcased recently.
If being IM-SHORAD before IM-SHORAD was the intent of MMEV, then either it was incredibly poorly explained by the sitting government yet was incredibly far-sighted because stuff like the laser-guided CRV7 didn't even show up at Eurosatory until several years after MMEV became a program of record and APKWS I faceplanted in 2005, or it wasn't really the intent to begin with. I think the main reason for the ADATS proper was killing tanks at 8 km, because TOW wasn't considered good enough, and the IRIS-T was for killing fast jets (because somehow a laser guided hypersonic ACLOS missile can't?), and the CRV7s were for smoke laying and ballistic rocket artillery.
APKWS should only be used for grd tgts it is a too expensive, overkilling capability against low cost drones and too little against manned craft.
The knowledge base for smarter uses of the weapon set didn't exist yet, which means a lot of potentially unfortunate baggage would be carried by MMEV and likely never fixed, since MMEV couldn't even make it to the finish line, even if it was theoretically "ADATS on a LAV" it would go off in a wild and crazy direction before the proper pathway of updating the ADATS was found. By then it would be something weird.
A long range ADATS like missile to use against tanks and aircraft is not even a cost effective research effort.
Bear in mind that the earliest DLSC concepts envisioned the MMEV as wholly replacing direct fire guns with hypervelocity laser guided missiles and the ICV LAVs with the Bushmasters forming the main element of close firepower. No mentions of MGS at all. So it was fully intended to be a direct fire, ground support system leveraging ADATS most questionable feature (anti-tank capability) for its future. Thus it would be too ingrained for fire support and tank busting, and if we accept the True and Honest MMEV, it would be a Stryker MGS with a pair or quartet of ADATS slapped on the side (or CKEMs since they were really wanting a Mach 7 missile lololol) I guess.
A IM-SHORAD or follow on family of modular multi-mission "missile truck" as an indirect fire vehicle should avoid any close engagements. Any missile launch vehicle w/ a missile as large as ADATS needs to be well back. If SPEAR 3 can accomplish that job, it still needs to be way back.

Stryker MGS never worked, and the 75/90mm ARES was abandoned.

The LOSAT/CKEM engineering, as it turns out, never made sense. Problem solved anyway w/ a different msle flight regime for a current msle.. according to patents.

Of course without the smol cannon of the American ADATS it would also be a bit of a rubbish IM-SHORAD. Group 1/2 stowed kills would be in the dumpster. Maybe they could have the TC stand on the back, like a Sherman tank, with a pair of MAGs welded to the turret and swat the little quadcopters out of the sky with his machine guns. That would be too action movie-esque badass though.
Utilizing automated small arms against quads is mature and certainly something for nearly all Battlefield Operating System (BOS) but swarms need to be stopped at the source and CRAM is the priority.

Some thoughts:
The big question about manpads is whether light infantry will still be a thing, or infantry would only exist as part of vehicle based formations.

In some sense this is a dumb question because vehicles are vulnerable across the depth of the battlespace to long range fires when one is inferior in combat power, but this is America and America do not fight defensive land wars.
-------
If "light infantry" forces with a hard limit on weight and volume is to be fielded, it will need a solution to air threats from 300grams to 30tons, spanning orders of magnitude. Unlike previous generations of air power, air threats can economically combat even highly dispersed infantry. I currently don't see solid solutions that would enable safe movement of infantry outside of heavy top cover when under air threats.

Honestly any Stinger replacement should be a two part system imo.

First part is the missile.

Preferably a manportable weapon that is easy to use, carry and fired from the shoulder. With a Fire and Forget mode all but mandatory. The Starstreak is nice but often times you want to be able to shot and run instead of waiting the 10 seconds even for that quick missile to smack the target. Being able to shot and run into cover, vehicle, building, etc is an amazing way to stay alive.

Having an option to guide it in is do able with todays tech. Question is, is it affordable.

This is for your larger drones to Helicopters, with low flying jets being an option since you may get lucky.

The second part is basically bringing back the OCIW weapon system air burst grenades to act like a flak round for the smaller drones. Actually a 40mm rocket with a proxy fuse that is able to be fire from a standard Grenade Launcher be great. Cheap simple and likely effective against against the small drones that a guided weapon be too much for.

I wonder if the Sungur is a clean-sheet design or derived from an existing design?

Sungur is an entirely clean sheet design, with its development initiated almost 10 years ago under 'PORSAV' programme by Turkish MOND - has no parallel's with any other VSHORAD missiles | Having said that, Roketsan the company which developed Sungur missile has extensive knowledge of the Stinger missile under the 1988-1999 Stinger European Common Production Program where Roketsan produced propulsion and guidance sections for Main Contractor Consortium, Dornier.

View attachment 683379

Based on the Sungur missile, Roketsan is also developing 'Levent' a point defence missile with R/F seeker and increased range.

In this picture, you can see 'LEVENT' which is larger than Sungur seen below it
View attachment 683380

LEVENT based on SUNGUR will have Passive R/F and IIR seeker like RIM-116
1663257144464.png

Attaching picture for posterity.

The solid nose suggests some sort of radar seeker rather than IR/UV like Stinger. MHTK shows it is possible to put a useful active radar seeker into a compact missile these days, and I suspect it would be more useful against small UAS than IR guidance.

1665760045643.png

Attaching picture for posterity.

The solid nose suggests some sort of radar seeker rather than IR/UV like Stinger. MHTK shows it is possible to put a useful active radar seeker into a compact missile these days, and I suspect it would be more useful against small UAS than IR guidance.

View attachment 685507
Could be MWR. They be more and more popular these days.

The solid nose suggests some sort of radar seeker rather than IR/UV like Stinger.
The Inside-Defense article I posted quotes the Boeing team confirming that their solution/proposal features a dual-mode seeker so I'm thinking it involves some RF component. The art is probably not very representative of their final proposal. Lockheed and Raytheon have not shared any information and are probably going to be the frontrunners here given active missile lines and for Raytheon the status as an incumbent and having a Stinger line that can transition to the new interceptor.

The solid nose suggests some sort of radar seeker rather than IR/UV like Stinger.
The Inside-Defense article I posted quotes the Boeing team confirming that their solution/proposal features a dual-mode seeker so I'm thinking it involves some RF component. The art is probably not very representative of their final proposal. Lockheed and Raytheon have not shared any information and are probably going to be the frontrunners here given active missile lines and for Raytheon the status as an incumbent and having a Stinger line that can transition to the new interceptor.

Thanks for that. Sadly, Inside Defense is behind a pay wall (not a cheap one, either.)

I'd agree with you on the front runners. I suspect the availability of existing production lines may depend a bit on whether LM or Raytheon are leading on the Javelin replenishment production but either way, LM and Raytheon have to be favored. Boeing does have SDB-II in their favor, but it's not really in the same class.

LM will, presumably, be using some of their experience with MHTK, and I'd be surprised not to see an active radar component to their missile -- dual-mode radar/IR seems very likely given the requirement. Raytheon might well do essentially Stinger II -- technology refresh, include a proximity fuze from the outset, some form of secondary RF homing, etc. Could well be seen as the lowest risk option.

Plenty of interesting tech left over from the Cold War alone, problem is locating the material and people familiar with it. A lot of institutional knowledge has been long lost all over the place due to the 'Peace Dividend' and various other assorted stupidities.

Raytheon might well do essentially Stinger II -- technology refresh, include a proximity fuze from the outset, some form of secondary RF homing, etc. Could well be seen as the lowest risk option.

Perhaps a seeker derived from the one used in the RAM?

Raytheon might well do essentially Stinger II -- technology refresh, include a proximity fuze from the outset, some form of secondary RF homing, etc. Could well be seen as the lowest risk option.

The RAM's IR seeker is already derived from Stinger's, the RF antennae would need to be scaled down to cram on something stinger-sized and require an illuminator. Possible if they went a direction like the Turks and accept an missile that is IR-only in MANPADS configuration but gains passive RF seeking in vehicle mounts.

Note that the ADSM variant of Stinger was designed to accommodate a passive RF seeker:

Though it was most likely intended to operate like a smaller version of SIDEARM. Was this variant ever built?

There was also a Stinger variant (FIM-92I) that had an Imaging InfraRed (IIR) seeker:

Though that version was canned. Perhaps a new IIR MANPADS that could engage lightly-armored/unarmored ground targets, as well as aircraft, would make a good replacement for Stinger?

Fun fact. The new Javelin missile launchers can now fire Stinger as well:

Turkey has developed SUNGUR' MANPAD to replace FIM-92 Stingers;

Some of the features;
  • 8km Range
  • 4km Altitude [Sea Level]
  • Lock-On Before Launch [Fire-And-Forget]
  • Angular High Explosive, Semi Armor Piercing Warhead, Initiated By Programmable Impact Fuze [Insensitive Munition, Type 4]
  • Terminal Guidance via IIR [Imaging Infra-Red]
  • IIR seeker ±40 Degree Visual Angle
  • Integrated with Air Defence Early Warning Command and Control System [HERIKKS-6]
  • Thrust Vector Control for high manoeuvrability
  • Max Speed 2.2+ Mach
Launch Engine
Separation from The Launch Tube [Insensitive Munition, Type 4]

Flight Engine
Dual-Pulse Solid Propellant Rocket for boost and sustainer stages [Insensitive Munition, Type 4]

Launch Control
Grip stock integrated display, directly connected to missiles IIR seeker allowing thermal vision for the operator with Symbology Instructions overlaid for IFF and or Adversary identification through Command and Control System.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmwDIAPRCio
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnkk-FzpLS0

Turkeys Roketsan general manager has disclosed on national TV that SUNGUR MANPAD has had a slight range increase to 8.5km

LEVENT which is the naval point defence variant of SUNGUR. Will not be a rolling frame missile, hence why it has four passive RF antennaes compared to RIM-116

Why would one assume that lessons learned and capability demonstrated and matured under that initiative won't be utilized on the Stinger replacement?

The RAM's IR seeker is already derived from Stinger's, the RF antennae would need to be scaled down to cram on something stinger-sized and require an illuminator. Possible if they went a direction like the Turks and accept an missile that is IR-only in MANPADS configuration but gains passive RF seeking in vehicle mounts.

The non-emitting seeker on MHTK is sometimes called semi-active, implying an illuminator on the launcher, but also sometimes just called passive, suggesting it's looking to home on an emission of some sort from the target.

RAM's passive radar element doesn't require an illuminator, since it's looking to home on active radar seekers on antiship missiles.

That sort of signal isn't common on the land battlefield. But maybe you could design a passive seeker element for a MANPADS that would home on UAS datalinks? The smaller classes of UAS don't generally have super-directional radios like the SATCOM in larger UAS. But they're also a lot less powerful that an active radar seeker so maybe not a practical target?

Why would one assume that lessons learned and capability demonstrated and matured under that initiative won't be utilized on the Stinger replacement?
Barely worth responding to...................................................................
posted this on this forum yrs ago.................................
because no contractor is offering a multipurpose modular solution only their propreitary single mission solution.

Barely worth responding to...................................................................
because no contractor is offering a multipurpose modular solution only their propreitary single mission solution.

Can you share what you know on what each contractor is offering?

The non-emitting seeker on MHTK is sometimes called semi-active, implying an illuminator on the launcher, but also sometimes just called passive, suggesting it's looking to home on an emission of some sort from the target.

The Army and AF have funded a few low-cost MMW seeker development and S&T programs over the past few years getting down to seekers in the tens of thousands of dollars cost point and even lower ($15-20K)..We should know more over the next six months but I would be surprised if most of the solutions don't involve either a stand alone RF seeker or a dual-band setup.