Focke-Wulf FW 44 Motorjet

Deltafan

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Thanks to Justo, I discovered this plane today :

I did not know this FW 44 with such an engine

I searched on the net, but the best that I can found was this website

where not a lot was new :
In 1938 under the direction of Dr Hermann Oestrich a team at BMW started to make a completely flyable Motorjet engine, in this they were successful. The engine consisted of a Barium 325 piston engine fitted with a four-bladed axial blower disk with a diameter of 1.47m, which was enclosed in a nacelle, which it's self could be altered in flight to compensate for speed and altitudes. It was decided to fit it on a Fw-44 replacing the aircraft's own engine completely, the modified Fw-44 was tested by Hann Reitsch and it flew flawessly. Another engine was made using the Bramo 329 piston engine but the results were not so satisfactory, further research was done by Dr Oestrich into the combination piston/jet engine, but no other engines were made.

On Wikipédia (in French and in German, not in English where it's not mentioned), there was only one Focke-Wulf FW 44 that flew with a Bramo 325 engine : the FW 44 N D-EGHO, in 1934.

I presume that it was this D-EGHO that was modified and flew in 1938 with Hanna Raitsch ?

If somebody has anything else (photo/s, history, …)

I show the work of Justo :

Attachments

• Focke-Wulf FW-44 ducted fan 2.jpg
    Focke-Wulf FW-44 ducted fan 2.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 187
I have also tried to find any more information on the FW-44-J or any of the related engine testing.
I have not yet gone into German/other language websites though. Might have to do that.