Flying Boat with disc-shape rotating wing

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

here is a flying boat with disc-shape rotating wing aircraft,designed by Guido Fallei ;

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    440.7 KB · Views: 192
  • 2.png
    2.png
    637.5 KB · Views: 178
  • 3.png
    3.png
    381.2 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Neat that this is based on a flying model, not just fantasy, but I am very unclear on what the rotation of the circular wing would actually accomplish. Am I missing something?

My dear Cluttonfred,

do you mean it was a real design ?.

Not a real design, no, but at least a serious concept that seems to have been based on experimental data. I just don't see the advantage to the rotating wing vs. a similar fixed wing.

Looking at the model, it is hard to tell which way the propeller rotates, but I would hazard a guess that the jets of gas from the rotating wing nozzles help counteract the propeller torque. The designer may have been misled into thinking that this would significantly improve a full-size craft.

But I do love the Captain Nemo style graphics.

steelpillow said:
Looking at the model, it is hard to tell which way the propeller rotates, but I would hazard a guess that the jets of gas from the rotating wing nozzles help counteract the propeller torque. The designer may have been misled into thinking that this would significantly improve a full-size craft.

But I do love the Captain Nemo style graphics.

;D

The wing was to be filled with gas or hot air, so that aircvraft would have been kind of
a hybrid. On the disk wing of the model, four scoops can be seen. Maybe they would have
acted as kind of propellor blades, I think. Otherwise, I can see no advantage of such a
rotating disk, too.

steelpillow said:
Sorry, I don't mean jets of gas so much as the turbulent wakes interacting asymmetrically with the main airflow.

steelpillow said:
... the jets of gas from the rotating wing nozzles help counteract the propeller torque.

The article says, the wing disk is driven by a petrol engines, as is the prop.

Back
Top Bottom