Flat Earther & His Steam Powered Rocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyaway

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
"Mad" Mike Hughes — a flat-Earther, rocket builder and daredevil who previously launched himself 1,875 feet (572 meters) into the air on a homemade rocket — will attempt to launch himself again to a much higher altitude this Sunday (Aug. 11). The attempt will be filmed by the Science Channel for the upcoming new series "Homemade Astronauts."

Does he really believe the earth is flat. Or is it just a convenience to make himself more saleable to Hollywood?

".......this guy could launch himself into *orbit* and it would make no difference". No way a flat earther would launch themselves inot 'orbit', it would mean accepting the earth is not flat. A little similarity to the parents who refuse vaccines and other medical treatment. I continually wonder if humanity is rushing into the culmination of a huge Darwinian solution to reducing our numbers and impacting the planet as we do. How many are going to 'Darwin' themselves out of existence?

Does he really believe the earth is flat. Or is it just a convenience to make himself more saleable to Hollywood?

Flat-Earth folks are paying for the rocket so...

He says he "believes" but his conversion was directly related to trying to get funds from these folks to 'prove' the Flat Earth. And frankly a 'steam' rocket is unlikely to be enough to do it. Having said that though something to keep in mind is there are people willing to put a LOT of money into supporting some of the suggested "bullet-proof" experiments and I can't for the life of me be sure if they are true-believers or really, really good Trolls :)

For example when a group of internet Flat Earther's suggested they could 'prove' a flat, non-rotating Earth with a high end Laser Gyroscope, (@$20,000 bucks, retail) someone went and bought them one. Now IF this showed about a 15 degree movement per hour that would actualy prove the Earth was rotating. If not...

So they set it up and guess what... About 15 degrees per hour. So it must be 'interference' so they put it in a magnentic isolation chamber and... Still about 15 degrees per hour. But the claim is made that the results were "inconclusive" with the tests showing "wild results" and therefore not providing consistant or verifiable results. The thing is that the actual results are not given and the "test" that is quoted is a repeat of the Michelson-Morley Experiment AND the article 'assumes' the Laser Ring Gyroscope works the same.

Hard to avoid "politics" here, but come on... this guy could launch himself into *orbit* and it would make no difference. Some beliefs are immune to evidence.

The current "killer proof" is the idea that space suits "can't" work because a vacuum chamber on the surface of the Earth has to be so robust, (made of concrete and steel in most cited cases) that holding IN a single atmosphere of pressure FROM a vacuum means no 'suit' could handle it.

There are litterally dozens of Flat Earthers who say "show me a person in suit moving in a vacuum as proof" and when someone does it's fake of course...

Randy

No idea but while I am generally against state involvement in every aspect of our lives, there is a definite requirement for more mental health screening.

No idea but while I am generally against state involvement in every aspect of our lives, there is a definite requirement for more mental health screening.
Who defines what is "healthy". A typical liberal would deem anybody who would actually want to own a gun *GASP* as mentally unfit.

Holding ridiculous beliefs says nothing about your mental health.

Think about the proportion of the population who believe in ghosts, for example.

Holding ridiculous beliefs says nothing about your mental health.

Think about the proportion of the population who believe in ghosts, for example.

*Very* few people hold solely entirely rational, objectively provable beliefs. Whether religious, pseudo-scientific or political, humans are a buggy lot. Still... some beliefs are buggier than others. Believing in chemtrails is nutty, but it's nothing compared to Flat Eartherism. At some point wacky beliefs begin to indicate a wacky mind. but even then, there's the matter of how strongly those wacky beliefs are held and expressed. Lots of people believe in some god or other... but not every believer stands outside funerals holding up signs about how their god hates the dead guy... or drives trucks into crowds because god told 'em to. Just as there are people who believe the Earth is flat but really don't care... compared to a guy willign to blast himself into the sky atop a dodgy rocket to somehow prove his belief.

"Mad" Mike Hughes, 64, crash-landed his steam-powered rocket shortly after take-off near Barstow on Saturday.

A video on social media shows a rocket being fired into the sky before plummeting to the ground nearby.

Hughes was well-known for his belief that the Earth was flat. He hoped to prove his theory by going to space.

Status
Not open for further replies.