Firearms secret projects

Fusil ametrallador Trapote de España

This is the Fusil ametrallador Trapote, modelo 1933 chambered for 7x57mm Mauser.

A little potted history: It is a bit blurry but the story seems to rest on Spanish officialdom being unhappy with the outcome of a 1927 competition to replace the Ejército's FA Hotchkiss Mod II m/25 light machine guns. That contest was won by established arms-maker Astra with its Fusil ametrallador Astra-Unión, modelo 1927. But government industrial policy favoured alternative manufacturers.

Result was an order for the FA Trapote m/33 to be produced by Fabrica de Armas de Oviedo in Asturias. These gas-operated weapons were made to a patent by artillery officer Andrés Trapote. A gas regulator allowed rate of fire to be easily adjustable between 60 and 650 rpm. Worn barrels could be replaced in the field without special tools. The gun was fed by box magazines (of 15 or 20 rounds used with a cartridge charger) but these proved to be dirt traps and difficult to clean. The side-mounted box magazines also shifted the balance of the weapon as rounds were depleted. Measuring some 1.18 m in length and weighing 9.2 kg empty, only ~400 x FA Trapote m/33 were completed.

Official reviews of the weapon and its procurement history were ordered in 1933. As Minister of War, future president of the Second Republic Manuel Azaña, reviewed the reports on the Trapote machine gun. He found little clarity in these reports and concluded that the Artillería favoured the Trapote in support of one of their own but stopped short of fully endorsing the weapon. That suggested to Azaña that the Artillería was quite aware of the Trapote's limitations. In any case, the FA Trapote m/33 seemed to offer little in the way of advance over the FA Hotchkiss Mod II m/25 it was meant to replace.

On example of the FA Trapote m/33 is preserved example at the museum of the Spanish Army Academy of Artillery in Segovia.

Attachments

• Trapote-M1933-lmg-3.jpg
    Trapote-M1933-lmg-3.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 189
  • Trapote-M1933-lmg-2.jpg
    Trapote-M1933-lmg-2.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 108
  • Trapote-M1933-lmg-1.jpg
    Trapote-M1933-lmg-1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 145
GE 30mm Gatling, 1957. Remarkably compact. No designation stated.

Edit: T212. 6 barrels, 64in long, 6,600rpm, 12,500lb recoil, hydraulic or electric drive. Proposed for B-58 tail stinger?

Attachments

• GE_30mm_Vulcan_AvWeek_1957.png
    GE_30mm_Vulcan_AvWeek_1957.png
    349.1 KB · Views: 143
  • GE_T212_AvWeek_19570812_055.JPEG
    GE_T212_AvWeek_19570812_055.JPEG
    209.2 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Avco Avroc rocket-propelled 40mm grenade rounds. AvWeek, 02 Dec 1967

Attachments

• Avroc_AvWeek_19671204_052.JPEG
    Avroc_AvWeek_19671204_052.JPEG
    116 KB · Views: 136
Hello, this is from the polish army museum in warsaw:

"Board of various fire arms elements and spare parts from Lvov army workshop No.6"

What is that weapon?

Attachments

• IMG_20240216_104459957.jpg
    IMG_20240216_104459957.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 92
Hello, this is from the polish army museum in warsaw:

"Board of various fire arms elements and spare parts from Lvov army workshop No.6"

What is that weapon?
The extended breech-cover reminds us of several conversions of Lee-Enfield bolt-action rifles. It looks like a semi-auto or full-auto conversion.
Though the single-piece wooden stock suggests that the original rifle was built in Eastern Europe.
In 1915, the Brit Howell converted a handful is Short Magazine Lee-as field rifles into semi-automatic (aka. self-loading rifles in British parlance) by cludging a gas-piston onto the right side. Ian McCollum over on www.forgottenweapons.com has published a video on the internet of the 1915 Howell SLR conversion. Since the British Army had plenty of Mills Bombs and Lewis Light Machineguns - by late war - it is doubtful if a Howell ever saw combat.

The American equivalent is the Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR) developed during WW1 and served well into the Korean War (early 1950s).

Similar conversions of Lee-as field rifles were done in Australia and New Zealand (Charlton 1941) during World War 2.
The Canadian equivalent is the Huot automatic-rifle based upon the WW1 Ross Rifle, but done during the 1920s.

Last edited:
"Lieutenant General Tadeusz Rozwadowski was a distinguished officer in the Austro-Hungarian army during the first world war and in 1918 was made commanding officer of the newly formed Polish Army. In 1920, he recommended the creation of a new self-loading rifle based on old stocks of Mannlicher straight pull rifles, mainly the model of 1890 to be completed by the major state arsenals in Poland, being praised for this endeavor by the then Minister of military affairs, General Kazimierz Sosnkowski. This new rifle was named the Wz. 1921 and nicknamed the DOG after the General Region Command “Lwów” (Dowództwo Okręgu Generalnego “Lwów”) who manufactured this prototype, operated with a very simple gas piston attached to the right of the receiver which operated the bolt directly, which could be turned off to return the rifle to manual fire. A wireframe pistol grip was added to make handling better while retaining the 5-round magazine which still used Mannlicher clips."

From - https://smallarmsreview.com/bolt-action-conversions-part-ii-the-interbellum-offerings/

"Lieutenant General Tadeusz Rozwadowski was a distinguished officer in the Austro-Hungarian army during the first world war and in 1918 was made commanding officer of the newly formed Polish Army. In 1920, he recommended the creation of a new self-loading rifle based on old stocks of Mannlicher straight pull rifles, mainly the model of 1890 to be completed by the major state arsenals in Poland, being praised for this endeavor by the then Minister of military affairs, General Kazimierz Sosnkowski. This new rifle was named the Wz. 1921 and nicknamed the DOG after the General Region Command “Lwów” (Dowództwo Okręgu Generalnego “Lwów”) who manufactured this prototype, operated with a very simple gas piston attached to the right of the receiver which operated the bolt directly, which could be turned off to return the rifle to manual fire. A wireframe pistol grip was added to make handling better while retaining the 5-round magazine which still used Mannlicher clips."

From - https://smallarmsreview.com/bolt-action-conversions-part-ii-the-interbellum-offerings/
Thanks a lot SirCoutin

Attachments

• 04.png
    04.png
    865.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 02.png
    02.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • 01.png
    01.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
A little story with this weapon ?

A little story with this weapon ?

I'm guessing that this was an interim design? It looks like an MP 18/I but has a fire selector like the MP 28.

That MP 20 designation is also somewhat confusing since there was also a SIG Bergmann 1920 - a licensed MP 18 chambered for 7.65x21mm Parabellum or 7.63x25mm Mauser.

I'm guessing that this was an interim design? It looks like an MP 18/I but has a fire selector like the MP 28.

That MP 20 designation is also somewhat confusing since there was also a SIG Bergmann 1920 - a licensed MP 18 chambered for 7.65x21mm Parabellum or 7.63x25mm Mauser.
The Canadian magazine “Calibre” did an article on inter-war Erma she HMA hineguns a few years back.

The design of the MP 18, I was led by Hugo Schmeisser, an employee of the Theodor Bergmann Abteilung Waffenbau in Suhl. In the years following the war,Bergmann had submitted four different versions of the MP 18 for evaluation by the German army, known as Models I, II, III and IV. All these variants were essentially the same in their basic design, but differed in the layout of the magazine feed. The first model, the MP 18,I, used a Trommelmagazin TM 08. No details are available for the MP 18,II, but the MP 18,III and MP 18,IV were both fed by a straight 90° magazine feed - the German army was apparently already well attached to the MP 18,I before the MP 18,III and MP 18,IV were submitted.
Theodore Bergmann, having abandoned arms production in his factory, sold his submachine gun to Schweizerische Industrie Gesellschaft in Neuhausen am Rheinfall, Switzerland. However, the weapon manufactured by SIG was a sample of the MP 18,III that Theodor Bergmann sent to SIG to study, rather than the MP 18,I. SIG began production of the MP 18,III under the name "Bergmann machine pistol" or "SIG Model 1920", which was not an official designation but was offered for sale for international export in the 1920s. The SIG Bergmann, in line with the MP 18,III and MP 18,IV, used a box magazine feeder that took magazines from Mauser models...
Back in Germany, Hugo Schmeisser continued his work on machine guns at his new employer, C.G. Haenel. This work was undertaken independently of Theodor Bergmann or SIG. At an unknown date, probably in the mid-1920s, Schmeisser built a small series of prototypes - known as the MP Schmeisser I & II. These were essentially no different from the MP 18,III or MP 18,IV, and thus by extension from the SIG Bergmann, with the exception of the addition of a firing selector above the trigger group, which took the form of a push-button. . This was an improvement on the MP 18, which had no semi-automatic function, and the magazines for these guns were of the Mauser type. Then, at the end of the 1920s, an improved version of the MP Schmeisser appeared, called the "MP Schmeisser Mod". 28/II'. The numerical suffix indicates that this was probably the second iteration of the MP Schmeisser, after the earlier "I" prototype. The shot selection button was retained on this model, but a number of additional improvements were also made.
From the MP 28,II, a variant of the MP 18,I was born, sometimes called "MP 18,Iv" (the "v" standing for "verbessert" or"improved"). The weapons themselves are instead marked "M.P.18,I SYSTEM SCHMEISSER". The so-called MP 18,Iv was a conversion of the MP 18,I from a 45° Trommelmagazin feed to a 90° Schmeisser magazine feed. These conversions were carried out at C.G. Haenel.MP 18,Iv conversions were undertaken from 1920, before the MP 28,II. http://firearms.96.lt/pages/Bergmann MP18.I.html 01.png 02.jpg

Last edited:
Early form of what would become the Tarasnice 21 - a Czech competitor to the SPG-82

Attachments

• R-1 Dynamo-reactive Grenade Launcher (1).jpg
    R-1 Dynamo-reactive Grenade Launcher (1).jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 29
  • R-1 Dynamo-reactive Grenade Launcher (2).jpg
    R-1 Dynamo-reactive Grenade Launcher (2).jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 20
  • R-1 Dynamo-reactive Grenade Launcher (3).jpg
    R-1 Dynamo-reactive Grenade Launcher (3).jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 24
What is this?? I just stumbled upon it. When reverse image searched, all I get are a few Russian forum pages that say the same thing: 88 mm T24 anti-tank grenade launcher
Searching that and variations of that, come up with nothing... It looks kinda like a super bazooka. Maybe a prototype?

Attachments

• 3325119_original.jpg
    3325119_original.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 45
The enigmatic SMG "Delacre-Vanophem" from 1939 is a french experimental submachine gun in 9 mm. Apparently, Henri Delacre and William Vanophem designed this SMG in accordance with patent FR925099A of William Vanophem, who acquired the rights to the weapon by filing a patent in France in 1946. The initial patent for this model was filed in Luxembourg in October 1939 , but the outbreak of World War II interrupted the procedure, and subsequent patents, filed in France, were not published until 1947. The exact identity of the designer is ambiguous, as the weapon is also called "Delacre Mle 1939 », which makes it a little-known weapon. Philippe Regenstreif gave him an article published in the “Gazette desarmes N° 314”.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 03.png
    03.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
  • Gazette des Armes-314-Page-037.jpg
    Gazette des Armes-314-Page-037.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 29
The enigmatic SMG "Delacre-Vanophem" from 1939 is a french experimental submachine gun in 9 mm. Apparently, Henri Delacre and William Vanophem designed this SMG in accordance with patent FR925099A of William Vanophem, who acquired the rights to the weapon by filing a patent in France in 1946. The initial patent for this model was filed in Luxembourg in October 1939 , but the outbreak of World War II interrupted the procedure, and subsequent patents, filed in France, were not published until 1947. The exact identity of the designer is ambiguous, as the weapon is also called "Delacre Mle 1939 », which makes it a little-known weapon. Philippe Regenstreif gave him an article published in the “Gazette desarmes N° 314”.
I found the link below that seems to be a good reference for quite many obscure SMGs, like the one you mention. I was not aware of the "Delacre-Vanophem" SMG, so thank you for that.

http://firearms.96.lt/pages/Get_Em_Puppy's World SMGs.html

Springfield M1903 rifle converted to semi-automatic by unknown civilian inventor unknown.jpg

A test model of a weapon based on the Tokarev AVT rifle to find a ballistic solution for one of the early experimental versions of the 5.45mm automatic cartridge.
545 svt.jpg

Simonov AKSM-34-P-41 "light rifle" chambered in 7.62x25mm Tokarev pistol caliber

simonov.jpg

Rifle variants of Fedorov Avtomat:
6.5mm automatic rifle of Fedorov system, 1922
1712124582387.png
6.5mm automatic rifle of Degtyarev system with fixed barrel, 1922
1712124640634.png
6.5mm automatic rifle of Fedorov system, 1920-1922
1712124830160.png
6.5mm automatic rifle of Fedorov system with bipods, 1920-1922
1712125031487.png
7.62mm automatic rifle of Fedorov system, 1926
1712125065002.png

Springfield M1903 rifle converted to semi-automatic by unknown civilian inventorView attachment 724396
Greatly prefer the Pedersen Device, but those are not exactly reliable even after being tuned up by a modern gunsmith who knows what he's doing.

Replace bolt of M1903 Mark 1 with Pedersen device, and fit the first of 10 magazines each holding 40 rounds of 7.62 French Longue. Poor Doughboys were going to hate life, the Pedersen device and ammo added 14lbs to their load!

Or else we bust out the Charleton Automatic Rifle, an SMLE converted to gas operation and probably full auto .303.