Fictional Aircraft from TV and Movies

The last Indiana Jones film: “Dial of Doom” features interior shots of 3 different aircraft: Heinkel 111 bomber, Nord Pingoin and Sikorsky CH-53 Sea Stallion. All are CGI with varying degrees of accuracy.
The He111 gets the most screen time both interior and exterior. It is a pretty good CGI except for the double rudders … more like a Whitley.

The NORD Pingoin (licensed version of Me.108 is the most accurate, so accurate that is difficult to distinguish from the original.

The audience only sees the cabin interior of the Sikorsky and a couple of brief glimpses of the exterior. This CGI closely matches my memories of clambering over CH-53 operated by HM-1?. But that was 40 years ago.

All in all, “Dial … “ is a rollicking series of car chases, train chases, motorcycle chases, fist-fights and Nazi-bashing to conclude the Indiana Jones series of films.
The last short scene of Indy's clothesline makes me wonder whether a next generation spinoff is at least under consideration...

Last edited:
Fill a lunar cave with air...the two engines with those Iron Man wrist turbine things....and **maybe**

A screenshot from the movie "Spectral" (2016), showing USAF jets at Chișinău aiport. (in reality, in Hungaria)
They were ex-Hungarian AF MiG-21bis/UM & MiG-23MF.
An SA-2 can be seen in the background, next to the C-130.
USAF MiG-21.JPG

SA-43 Hammerhead from Space: Above and Beyond at RAAF Base Williamtown:

Hammerhead.jpg

SA-43-Hammerhead.jpg

Looks like that thing was built by Spirit . . .

cheers,
Robin.

In the same movie, a Pakistani Mirage III badly photoshoped as Indian Mirage 2000 !!
mirage.JPG

Last edited:
A compendium here.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DOuBIH_B5Y

Things like forward-swept wings, VTOL, anhedral, hypersonic speed, etc. recur again and again.

The 'rule of cool' drives much of these - 'These things are cool so my Totally Awesome Death Machine must have them - ALL of them.'

To get a little high-falutin' they're 'floating signifiers' - things that generally suggest total awesomeness without really being practical, like people saying 'quantum' in Star Trek or New Age scams, the fins on a Harley Earl Cadillac, or an SUV that isn't caked in mud.

At their best, I think designs like this can be thought of as a kind of techno-rococo - absurd but appealing because of their whimsy. Anyway, a 1959 Cadillac Eldorado is cool.