• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Fictional Aircraft from TV and Movies

royabulgaf

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
This is a suggestion to the administrator. How about a thread or threads of fictional TV and movie spacecraft and aircraft?

Jemiba

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score

Attachments

Graham1973

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
And a couple more from Starflight: The Plane that couldn't land, or as I sometimes refer to it Airport'85

Graham1973

Reaction score
Jemiba said:
Well, could be a way to handle questions like "Is this a real design ? No, it's from the Movie XYZ".

So let's start this thread with the MiG "Firefox" from the 1982 movie with Clint Eastwood:
(screenshot via https://simotron.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/screen-shot-2013-05-03-at-6-53-35-pm.png )
Indeed, it influenced all but two of the covers for the novel version (The original cover and the Anniversary Cover) there is a gallery of the different iterations linked below:

http://craigthomascompanion.co.uk/2firefox.html

uk 75

Reaction score
Perhaps this could be widened to include fictional aircraft.
In 1969 Adam Hall sent Quiller to investigate theStriker Portfolio. This involved West German British built Striker SK6 swing wing fighters

Attachments

royabulgaf

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
In 1969 Adam Hall sent Quiller to investigate theStriker Portfolio. This involved West German British built Striker SK6 swing wing fighters
So, the Soviets stole the plans for the F-111B and sold them to the Brits, and laughed their butts off all the way back to Moscow?

Orionblamblam

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
Airwolf.
Blue Thunder.
Whispercraft.
Manta Fighter.
F/A-37 Talon.
EDI.
Willis JA-3
B-3.
Batwing.
The Bat.
BV-38 fling wing.
F-117X Remora.
Quinjet.
X-Jet.
X-Jet Prototype.
Skyfleet S570.
Helicarrier.

uk 75

Reaction score
So, the Soviets stole the plans for the F-111B and sold them to the Brits, and laughed their butts off all the way back to Moscow?
The Brit edition I have simply has a pilot in a helmet photo. I got this one off Amatheft because of the Luftwaffe markings. In the book its more like MRCA Tornado

Caravellarella

Reaction score
Dear Boys & Girls, the Rutland Reindeer from the 1951 movie "No Highway in the Sky" based on the 1948 novel "No Highway" by Neville Shute......

Rutland-Reindeer.jpg

Terry (Caravellarella)

Hood

Reaction score
Oh that tail design never fails to make me laugh.

Another good fictional airliner of the period is the 'Atlas Aviation Phoenix' from the the 1960 film Cone of Silence based on the 1959 novel by David Beatty. Beaty was an ex-military BOAC pilot with who became an expert on human error in aviation incidents and accidents and wrote The Human Factor in Aircraft Accidents in 1969.

The 'Phoenix' was Avro Ashton WB493 with four Nenes and two Olympus so looking suitably futuristically over-engined.

Archibald

Reaction score
Gilbert XF-120 - actually Martin XB-51.

How about that F-117 look alike commando transport used by Steven Seagal in that shitty movie - Ultime decision, at least that was the French title. Must be in Orionblablam list somewhere.

Flight of the Phoenix aircraft that killed Paul Mantz, how ironic.

Rambo Mi-24s which actually were Puma choppers with prostetics.

Indiana Jones flying wing / w-wing with the propellers that chop the vilain into miced meat. Also Raiders of the lost ark aircraft - the Tiger moth with a turret and the fake 109s chasing the Jones, which actually are some kind of trainers, can't remember which type (Czech Avia things, or Zlins).

Shape of things to come and When world collides.

Bah bah sheep Boyington (RIP Robert Conrad) T-6s turned into fakes A6M.

Last edited:

pathology_doc

Reaction score
the 1959 novel by David Beatty.
I haven't seen the film, but when I read Macarthur Job's Air Disaster books it was hard not to see the similarities between the repeated accidents that occur to the Phoenix and the initial crashes that affected some of the Comets (aside from the metal fatigue disasters). In the book it's put down to a design flaw and a failure to fully inform the pilots of the correct take-off technique in marginal circumstances (which some of them had worked out for themselves, but the information was never promulgated to all the pilots).

IRL, some of the early Comets crashed on takeoff because captains who'd spent their lives in propeller aircraft weren't used to the fact that the lack of prop wash over the wings adversely affected the Comet if you rotated the nose too high, too soon.

zebedee

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
The Heathley M7 from The Net (1953), aka Project M7... Always reminds me of something that escaped from Saunders Roe... There was also tie-in Jetex model of this available...!

IMDB entry for The Net

Zeb

Attachments

Last edited:

Aubi

Reaction score
Website
www.armedconflicts.com
It was the eighties. Not that many flyable original aircraft they could choose from, no CGI, and anyway who (except ofr us) would notice?
By the way:
Waco - no problem, Solent - understandable, and you can't be wrong with DC-3.

Ford Trimotor - no problem.

Dakota - no problem, Stampe looks like Bücker enough.

DC-3 again, An-2 - big problem, as is An-12 (they couldn't CGI more appropriate machine?).

zebedee

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Fair point... I forgot about the Waco and the Trimotor... but Crystal Skull has no excuse for those Antonovs...!

Zeb

riggerrob

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
The 2004 film "Sky Captain" portrays a whole bunch of fictional airplanes, zeppelins, flying aircraft carriers, etc.
Even the Curtiss P-40 has been modified to also operate underwater.

riggerrob

Reaction score
The Japanese anime "Porco Roso" contains a few historically realistic airplanes, but the biggest bad-guy airplane is definitely fictional.

riggerrob

Reaction score
"Jumanji 3" includes a fight aboard a steam-punk zeppelin.

Aubi

Reaction score
Website
www.armedconflicts.com
Ah, Porco Rosso... There are several Macchis, like M.5 and M.7, Savoia-Marchetti SM.55, Some Fiats, probably CR.20, and even Curtiss C3R. Also some Austrian Hansa-Brandenburgs CC.

Graham1973

Reaction score
A few fictional SST (and faster) Airliners culled from various novels I've read.

Thomas Block, Orbit, 1982

StarStreak
Airliner (Hypersonic)

James Follett, Saber, 1997.

Saber
Sub-orbital Airliner

Donald G. Payne (Pen name: Donald Gordon), Star-Raker, 1962

Star-Raker Mk. I
Supersonic Airliner