Facebook, WhatApp and Instagram down....

Telephone sanitisers, and influencers, definitely get to go on the first ship......
Don't knock the Telephone sanitisers... the Golgafrinchams were taken out by a disease caught from a dirty telephone...

Amusing Facebooks twitter account is currently saying "we apologize for any inconvenience" which is frighteningly similar to Gods final message to his creation...

Zeb

Via the Drudge Report:

Sounds like a logic bomb or similar.

"*Sincere* apologies to everyone impacted by outages of Facebook powered services right now. We are experiencing networking issues and teams are working as fast as possible to debug and restore as fast as possible"

Looks like the network theory is correct. Best scenario - they were victims of a BGP route injection attack by nation-state hackers. Worse - Billy-Bob from the network team *REALLY* screwed up his change.

......Someone on the Facebook recovery effort has explained that a routine BGP update went wrong, which in turn locked out those with remote access who could reverse the mistake. Those who do have physical access do not have authorization on the servers. Catch-22......
:)

Looks like the network theory is correct. Best scenario - they were victims of a BGP route injection attack by nation-state hackers. Worse - Billy-Bob from the network team *REALLY* screwed up his change.
Amongst the many jobs I do for my employer I am lucky enough to be the sysadmin for a number of websites, over the years I have been doing this more chaos and more outages have been cause by one particular now ex colleague habitually forgetting to check his email and renew domains...

So yeah... my money is on Billy-Bob...

Zeb

......Someone on the Facebook recovery effort has explained that a routine BGP update went wrong, which in turn locked out those with remote access who could reverse the mistake. Those who do have physical access do not have authorization on the servers. Catch-22......
So the folks with the password could like call the guy in the office…..this would require talking, of course….

So the folks with the password could like call the guy in the office…..this would require talking, of course….

You should never share your password.........:)

You should never share your password.........:)
Your right, I mean the guy could take the whole site down……..

So..... Here's how it goes folks. The more stuff you have online - without some form of backup - and when it goes away and you are locked out. When sites you rely on go down.

That's how >> they << will take over the world, by holding every electronic bit hostage. On another site, some kind of data corruption has - hopefully not - wiped out 20 years of research.

So yeah. No electronic entry for human beings. No nuthin'

Its a failure in design. There's nothing preventing Facebook building their external facing systems at least in separate silos in different physical locations with disparate network connectivity and separate BGP routing tables for each silo, so that the worst case scenario is a 50% / 25% reduction in capacity according to how many silos you build. It would be more complex to manage but this represents a single point of failure (BGP routing) for 3 big social networks in the design.

So..... Here's how it goes folks. The more stuff you have online - without some form of backup - and when it goes away and you are locked out. When sites you rely on go down.

That's how >> they << will take over the world, by holding every electronic bit hostage. On another site, some kind of data corruption has - hopefully not - wiped out 20 years of research.

Maybe they left a key with a neighbour?

Which is only a problem because a human failed to design the site properly with a backup plan.

If the British Library got built next to a river that flooded regularly and was entirely lit by wooden torches, and then caught fire or flooded, is that the fault of "storing information in books"?

Don't you understand ?!!!? THEY - yes, THEM - want you to be so dependent on the internet that... that... when they take it... away...

Oh it's too horrible to write about!

Which is only a problem because a human failed to design the site properly with a backup plan.

If the British Library got built next to a river that flooded regularly and was entirely lit by wooden torches, and then caught fire or flooded, is that the fault of "storing information in books"?

Yes, quite right. The problem is creating more and more complications as time passes. For my computer, my company's IT guy appears, opens a bunch of windows, and checks the settings: "That's good, that's good, that's not good -- makes an adjustment" and leaves. Forget your password on some email site and forgot to keep the necessary information to get it back?

People can joke about thick, old physical phone books. I now have a similar sized document filled with log-ins and passwords. This is progress? I don't think so.

Yes, quite right. The problem is creating more and more complications as time passes. For my computer, my company's IT guy appears, opens a bunch of windows, and checks the settings: "That's good, that's good, that's not good -- makes an adjustment" and leaves. Forget your password on some email site and forgot to keep the necessary information to get it back?

People can joke about thick, old physical phone books. I now have a similar sized document filled with log-ins and passwords. This is progress? I don't think so.
I just use RachelWeiss for everything.

Maybe they left a key with a neighbour?

Oh, don't be so practical! You'll ruin another media feeding frenzy. I mean, I sure hope they did.

I have all my passwords saved in an online system, but it is synchronized to encrypted local copies on my desktop and mobile so even if the online system went way I can still access them. On my phone, as well as my complex password, I can unlock my password program using only my fingerprint. So unless I lose my finger AND forget the password at once, I should be ok.