F-89 with different wings (one for Bobtdwarf)

Archibald

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
I often think F-89 Scorpion had a futuristic-looking fuselage, but its huge straight wings with big rocket pods were very old fashioned. How about putting F-84F, F-86 or F-100 wings on it ?

I often think F-89 Scorpion had a futuristic-looking fuselage, but its huge straight wings with big rocket pods were very old fashioned. How about putting F-84F, F-86 or F-100 wings on it ?

The F-89 was conceived as pure subsonic long range interceptor, the twin engines would also represent a guarantee over the long distance arctic patrols, rather than single engined jet like the F-94.
Changing the wing wouldn't automatically makes the F-89 a better or faster aircraft.
To have a faster (supersonic) interceptor would imply a full redesign of the aircraft leading to a new project.
Take as reference what happened during the transition from F-102 to F-106, the initial proposal would be only a small bunch of changes that led to a brand new aircraft.

Northrop did work on a swept wing version. It's probably on the site already.

***Edit: Justo not only beats me to it, he did the leg work!

Many thanks, folks. Just asking in passing: does anybody knows about an internet website where I can find decent 3-views of regular quality ? I want to make some hybrids...

I do not know of any online, other than the ones in the thread listed. I know there is a three -view in Tony Chong's Flying Wings and Radical Things book. Along with my favourite Scorpion, the "twin F-89". Not sure how serious it was as a project, but it looks snazzy ;)

Back
Top Bottom