F-35D, other Lighting II versions

funkychinaman said:
I can understand why there's a need for separate STOVL version, but is there any reason why the Air Force can't use the F-35C? I'd think the weight of the internal gun would offset the extra weight of the heavier landing gear, and there's no harm in having more range and better low speed handling, is there? (And no, pride is not good enough a reason. Not with this much money involved.)
For that those wings and tails, the f-35c is slower, cannot pull as much g's as the f-35a due to lower sweep angle. That's the trade off for range, load, and a better turning at low speed.

:eek: B)
I just found a FB-35 "Lightning Strike" concept at f-16.net.
fb35pl4.gif

Reminds me very much of the F-16XL. I also oversee the missing of the EOTS.
Source: F-16.net Forum Index » 5th Gen Fighters » F-35 Lightning II » FB-35 "Lightning Strike"

A hypothetical two-seat F-35C version, from "Joint Strike Fighter - Inside the 21st Century Warfighter", a supplement published with the 5-11 September 2000 issue of 'Flight International'...

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• hypothetical 2-seat F-35.png
    hypothetical 2-seat F-35.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 360
This question has probably been asked so I apologize ahead of time. But I always liked the MD JSF version as the coolest looking, how much more stealthy, if at all, would it have been compared to the F-35?

A5+H7qFcEip9AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC