F-35B missile launch envelope

Jeb

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Here's a weird F-35B question: Can they fire AAMs from a hover? (I guess one could ask the same re. the Harrier...)

Here's a weird F-35B question: Can they fire AAMs from a hover? (I guess one could ask the same re. the Harrier...)

And, uhm, I want to know if it can launch a missile while sitting on the runway cuz reasons.

Given that the Sidewinders are cleared to be fired by helicopters, wing mounted ones probably can do (if ever someone dared to try!).

And, uhm, I want to know if it can launch a missile while sitting on the runway cuz reasons.

Not with weight on the struts. :)

I dunno, I was watching video of a B puttering up alongside HMS Queen Elizabeth and just started to wonder if it could fire a missile from that condition.

I would say, with 20000 lb odd of thrust blasting down just in front of the weapons bay, firing a missile would be problematic -----

Weapons on the F-35B are disarmed during once it's in STOVL; not sure if any weapons can be emergency-jettisoned during these modes, but in a hover at least it probably wouldn't smart to do so.

Sad... It would have been amazing to see a fleet of B roaring the skies of mega cities for UPS or Amazon...

Just after the Falklands war, (14 July 1982) a Harrier accidentally fired a Sidewinder while in the hover. A group of guys were clearing snow at the far end of the runway, the missile acquired the heat source and was negligently fired. Several killed and others left with life changing injuries.

I would say, with 20000 lb odd of thrust blasting down just in front of the weapons bay, firing a missile would be problematic -----
This!
Were there not tests or plans to put slammers on humvees?
Were there not sparrows on navy ships at one time? They just lost range/kinematics.
I am much much more interested in g limits maneuvering limits on shooting slammers out of the weapons bays. I don't know if that's hush hush but how much maneuvering can the rhino do and still get off a slammer?

Not quite the same scenario is it, where's the cold air jet blast right in front of the two examples you speak off --