F-23 NATF (not real....)

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
First go - comments please :)

wing is scaled up 10%, tailplanes removed, engine intake moved forward and canards added. Probably too similar to F-23.

Attachments

• NATF.jpg
    NATF.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 598
Looks pretty much as I was imagining it - very X-36-style with trapezoid canards (preferred one). At least, what else you can squeeze off from the YF-23 as we know it?

Plausible. or at the very least, beautiful.
I believe it deserves further development, like a 3-view stage or more cgi art.

Rafa

overscan said:
I think it probably retains too much F-23.

I think that shouldn't be the problem, but in my opinion I would have expected something more like the JAST-proposal shown here:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2392.45.html

Deino

Hmm, Deino, where's significant difference between Overscan's effort and this JAST concept?:)
BTW, always was wondering how effective vertical tails would be at high AoA with such a placement.

flateric said:
Hmm, Deino, where's significant difference between Overscan's effort and this JAST concept?:)
BTW, always was wondering how effective vertical tails would be at high AoA with such a placement.

The biggest different surely would be the tail and the wing with a different leading-edge and trailling-edge angle ! ... or did I misinterpret something !?

OK, we just got the main idea. In 10 years or so we will se how it was for real)

flateric said:
OK, we just got the main idea. In 10 years or so we will se how it was for real)

Just two crude proposals ...

Attachments

• NATF-Deino.jpg
    NATF-Deino.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 419
I would definitely expect the F-23N to have vertical stabilizers. While tailless is fine for subsonic jets like X-36 and the B-2, a supersonic aircraft is probably going to need some help in the back for stability.

Although the X-36 demonstrator was subsonic, it was representative of a supersonic tail-less design. Also, if you check the thread I posted here a while back on tail-less fighter designs, you'll see many supersonic tail-less fighter proposals.

I wasn't referring to the NATF-23, I was referring to that statement about the X-36.

But I doubt the NATF-23 looked like any of the proposals above, because they look too good and everyone I've heard from about it (Anyone seen Evan lately? I hope he is well.) said the NATF-23 was butt ugly.