• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

F-19: artists impressions of the Stealth Fighter

allysonca

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
So, I just came upon this thread and I thought I would give all of the contributors an interesting fact. There was a LORAL advertisement (see above) that featured the mythical F-19 if you all recall. Well, my friend, Al Parker, once of Marketing Aids fame, and then the Model Shop Manager at Hughes in Fullerton (a master model maker in his own right) made his interpretation of the "aircraft" in model form and sold it to his friends (me included) and then ultimately to Jan Halverson of Toys and Models (who had them made in the Philippines). You can tell Al's original version as it had the rounded canards and Jan's had the tapered canards like in the picture on the right. Al's was the foundation for all of the stories and conjectures that ran rampant for years. Also, Testors models copied Al's. Now on the "fun facts" side, Al was visited at his office at Hughes by the Men in Black (or was it Gray) who questioned him for many hours, looking for a security breach that may have occurred. Put the scare in him for quite a while............

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
These were posted already years ago, but I figured I'd upload the two Loral Attila Hejja ads in clean, complete and high-res form. Absolutely love both of these.
The one on the left is a fake advert.

Dynoman

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Interesting article on how John Andrews of Testor designed the F-19, the sources, influences, and methodology of his design, and the company's ethical concerns on accidentally divulging stealth technology.

Richard N

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
I was told that at an IPMS Nationals (might have been Seattle) and before the F-117 was revealed, a model showed up on the display tables that had stealth design characteristics like aligned edges and other not commonly known details. Someone of consequence noticed it and it was soon surrounded by suits and removed, not to be seen again.

Anyone else heard about this?

The Artist

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Cutaways god Mike Badrocke's and Bill Sweetman's collective impressions of a 'stealth fighter'. It was 1986 on the backyard. Already then Sweetman was aknowledged that real aircraft use faceting LO technology.
(Bill Sweetman 'Stealth Aircraft: Secrets of Future Airpower', Motorbooks International, 1986)
A scratch-built i'72 scale model of "Lockheed Stealth Fighter" of which flateric posted the drawings from Sweetman's Stealth Aircraft book has come into the collection of the Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum. A local member of an IPMS Chapter was commissioned to build the model for the Mascoutah Aerospace Museum which has been closed for many years. I am currently not able to photograph the model, but either I or Mark Nankivil will post photos of it sometime soon.

It is not a perfect build as there are some wing alignment problems, but at a glance, it is a good match to the drawings.