SWED- UDES-3 bofors muzzel Brake_3.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 502
  • SWED- UDES-3 bofors muzzel Brake_2.jpg
    SWED- UDES-3 bofors muzzel Brake_2.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 378

JAZZ

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
French Hotchkiss - Im sure is another external mounted type. Allbeit in a turret.

Attachments

• FR- Hotchkiss-Rive LFU 1970's.jpg
    FR- Hotchkiss-Rive LFU 1970's.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 543

smurf

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Jazz said
French Hotchkiss - Im sure is another external mounted type. Allbeit in a turret.
I don't think so. See pictures, with clearly an observation cupola in the turret roof, and less clearly crew entering by the turret. But it must have been a bit of a squash for a crew of 3.

Attachments

• lfu.jpg
    lfu.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 507

JAZZ

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Re: External Mounted Guns-Jupiter

Anyone know much about South Koreas Rotem Jupiter. Is that a 105mm or 120mm Gun??

Attachments

• S.KOR- Rotem Jupiter 8X8 MSG_01.jpg
    S.KOR- Rotem Jupiter 8X8 MSG_01.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 336

ReHerakhte

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
smurf said:
Jazz said
I don't think so. See pictures, with clearly an observation cupola in the turret roof, and less clearly crew entering by the turret. But it must have been a bit of a squash for a crew of 3.

If I remember correctly, the Hotchkiss LFU vehicles only had a two-man crew. The LFU in the colour picture has a low-pressure 90mm gun with auto-loader. The LFU vehicles were also known as ELC (Engin Leger de Combat) and were designed as a family of lightweight (around 7000kg), air-portable combat vehicles but they were not accepted for service. The Cavalry Museum at Saumur has a few examples on display (which is were the colour picture is from I believe).
What I find quite interesting about these vehicles though is the French camouflage scheme, which looks like a version of the WW2 German 'ambush' schemes.

Cheers,
Kevin

CJGibson

Reaction score
Would the Rifle, Multiple 106 mm, Self-propelled, M50 (Ontos) count as having external mounted guns? It sported six 106mm recoilless rifles. There was also the "Project Prodigal" studied in the run up to the British Chieftain with two 120mm recoilless rifles IIRC.

KB

smurf

Reaction score
Project Prodigal was a complicated thing, with a variety of layouts.
An early one (1968 - the first?) was COMRES 75, a Comet with an externally mounted 20pdr. The rounds were in two long tubular magazines either side of the gun.
There is a chapter on"Configuration of Tanks" with several external gun examples in Ogorkiewicz' "Technology of Tanks" (Vol II)

Attachments

• COMRES75.jpg
    COMRES75.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 4,447

dan_inbox

Reaction score
Kelly Bushings said:
Would the Rifle, Multiple 106 mm, Self-propelled, M50 (Ontos) count as having external mounted guns? It sported six 106mm recoilless rifles.
I would count it.

And the Japanese Type-60 had 2x 106mm RCL.

smurf

Reaction score
ReHerakhte said
If I remember correctly, the Hotchkiss LFU vehicles only had a two-man crew.
which is quite right. I didn't check, and assumed there was a driver in the hull. But it's 2 crew both in the turret. There were other versions of this French concept with 4 or 6 recoilless guns, externally mounted.

Ranger6

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
"South Koreas Rotem Jupiter. Is that a 105mm or 120mm Gun?"

Jazz,

I've seen both guns mentioned in different publications and websites. I think (pure conjecture) that -- like the K-1 MBT -- the Koreans are trying both to see which works best. But, note, I'm waiting for my new edition of Jane's Armour and Artillery, hopefully the book will have more details. I'll follow up asap.

Ranger6 ;)