Exocet Missile Developments

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
I couldn't find an existing thread dedicated to the Exocet missile, so here goes.

To start with, does anyone have more information on the supposed Iraqi modified Exocet to use a TV/ELECTRO-OPTICAL seeker:

D6XEklcXoAAuYty

In 1966 the UK decides it needed a surface to surface missile to replace Buccaneer aircraft as its main weapon against enemy .ships.
Three categories of weapon are envisaged. Initially the AS12 is bought for the Wasp and then Sea Skua for the Lynx.
A medium range weapon for fitting to ships takes longer. The decision to purchase Exocet in its MM38 boxed launcher version is not announced until 1970. The first platforms HMS Norfolk (County) and HMS Cleopatra (Leander) are not in service until 1975. But by 1982 4 Countys 8 Leanders 6 T21 and 4T22 are in service. By the end of the Cold War, new T22s and the T23 are getting Harpoon instead. No RN Exocets were used in action.
The long range missile was initially supposed to be the Otomat, then the UK Martel derived Sea Eagle but Harpoon is bought for subs and later for frigates.

Bit of a resurrection...

Does anyone recall seeing a pic of the UK's Excalibur Exocet system on Gibraltar. I seem to recall seeing a very grainy pic of it an age ago...

Bit of a resurrection...

Does anyone recall seeing a pic of the UK's Excalibur Exocet system on Gibraltar. I seem to recall seeing a very grainy pic of it an age ago...
Many years ago (when I worked at RNAD Gosport) I was driving into work past ASWE and noticed a pair of Exocet launchers facing South over Portsmouth. Later that day I mentioned seeing them to the Exocet Stock Controller. He exploded, saying that they were supposed to be covered by a tarpaulin as they were being used for a secret trial. I told him that they were; it was just that the wind was pressing the sheets against the MM38 containers which had a very recognisable shape! When I went home that evening, plastic sheeting had been affixed to the security fence so the launchers could not be seen....

SRJ.

Bit of a resurrection...

Many years ago (when I worked at RNAD Gosport) I was driving into work past ASWE and noticed a pair of Exocet launchers facing South over Portsmouth. Later that day I mentioned seeing them to the Exocet Stock Controller. He exploded, saying that they were supposed to be covered by a tarpaulin as they were being used for a secret trial. I told him that they were; it was just that the wind was pressing the sheets against the MM38 containers which had a very recognisable shape! When I went home that evening, plastic sheeting had been affixed to the security fence so the launchers could not be seen....

SRJ.
Presumably that was pre 85? As it was deployed to Gib from then. The pic I saw was a trailer mounted MM38 container system, not that far removed from the Argentinian lash up used to hit Glamorgan.

I'm going to hazard a guess that they were somewhat similar to those shown below:

Image 8-4-21 at 3.28 am.jpeg

Noting however that those shown are actually an Argentine 'lash up' from the Falklands war. Possibly therefore something like this but fixed mount on ground.

Bit of a resurrection...

SRJ.
Presumably that was pre 85? As it was deployed to Gib from then. The pic I saw was a trailer mounted MM38 container system, not that far removed from the Argentinian lash up used to hit Glamorgan.
Yes, I was on Seaslug from 1980 to 1986 and it would have been around the middle of that time.

SRJ.

I'm going to hazard a guess that they were somewhat similar to those shown below:

View attachment 654567

Noting however that those shown are actually an Argentine 'lash up' from the Falklands war. Possibly therefore something like this but fixed mount on ground.
As far as I'm aware the Excalibur system was a trailer mounted MM38 system as well, not fixed. I believe the intention was for it to be kept in the tunnels and brought out when required. No idea on towing vehicles or seperate control vehicles. Believe targeting information was provided by fixed radars on Gib rather than a mobile radar set up (although on that I could be wrong, but I've never seen pics or details of associated kit). Also I've no idea how many were made, suspect at least 2-3 sets, each consisting of 2x MM38 launchers. Can't imagine the requirement for Gib would have needed more than 4-6 missiles. The RN did have plenty of MM38 launchers and missiles at the time though.

What's really surprising is the lack of photos in the years since...there must have been at least 8 RN personnel deployed there over 11 years in 1-2 year deployments. Would have thought one of them would have taken a pic and posted it online, along with the many thousands of other personnel who have cycled through Gib and potentially seen it.

Or was it developed, then parked up in a tunnel at Gib in case the balloon went up? Personnel to use it being deployed as and when necessary?

Mind you there aren't that many pics of laser dazzler systems or Exactor out there either...

Last edited:

What's really surprising is the lack of photos in the years since...there must have been at least 8 RN personnel deployed there over 11 years in 1-2 year deployments. Would have thought one of them would have taken a pic and posted it online, along with the many thousands of other personnel who have cycled through Gib and potentially seen it.

Not if they're following the rules.;)

Not if they're following the rules.;)
Indeed...certainly regarding Exactor....

I do wonder if it Excalibur was parked up from 1990 onwards, its not as if there was any real threat to Gib from 89 onwards.

About the Exocet mounting mentioned by @GTX, the Argentinian navy called "ITB", which in Spanish means "Instalación de tiro berreta". "Berreta" is an argentine expression that refers to something very cheap and of low quality. I guess you can translated as "Cheap firing installation".

Here is a very cool article about the genesis of the "ITB" (the article is in Spanish):
https://gacetamarinera.com.ar/especiales/la-ingeniosa-instalacion-de-tiro-berreta-en-malvinas/
Exactly
NoBarrelRolls
You translated right

About the Exocet mounting mentioned by @GTX, the Argentinian navy called "ITB", which in Spanish means "Instalación de tiro berreta". "Berreta" is an argentine expression that refers to something very cheap and of low quality. I guess you can translated as "Cheap firing installation".

Here is a very cool article about the genesis of the "ITB" (the article is in Spanish):
https://gacetamarinera.com.ar/especiales/la-ingeniosa-instalacion-de-tiro-berreta-en-malvinas/
Thank you NoBarrelRolls, I found this very interesting and it reiterates 'never underestimate your enemy!!'

Regards
Pioneer

Last edited:
Last edited:
A pic of Excalibur just got posted on Twitter by someone I follow...I won't post it here except as a twitter post as it was posted by another user that they know. It's from the VT brochure for Excalibur, trailer mounted with Type 1006 Radar as well.

View: https://twitter.com/EngageStrategy1/status/1388111617477517325

You have to say that it wouldn't have killed VT to put it on a truck, and jazz it up a little bit (for demo purposes)...they may have actually got some international sales with it...