EU launches Next Generation Medium Helicopter Program

Not one for exciting the crowd, and not having read the full article, my first thought was that the article might better be titled "EU launches NH-90 Block II programme"

I mean it says right up front: "geared at converting future rotorcraft technologies into fieldable solutions, either as retrofits to existing platforms or as newbuild aircraft."

I am jumping in my trench and awaiting the counter-battery fire! :)

Well France, Germany, Italy, Finland and Sweden are all NH90 operators so it makes sense that the focus would be on NH90.
NGMH seems to be to keep the current fleets viable until 2040, at which point the NGRC programme should have resulted in a new medium helicopter. Given that NGRC is specifically geared to develop a new medium helicopter and NGMH is running concurrently it would seem unlikely both would result in new hardware. Whether ENGRT is feeding into both programmes isn't clear from the article.

A lot of acronyms, a lot of programmes, a lot of EU funding - only two helicopter manufacturers....

Well France, Germany, Italy, Finland and Sweden are all NH90 operators so it makes sense that the focus would be on NH90.
NGMH seems to be to keep the current fleets viable until 2040, at which point the NGRC programme should have resulted in a new medium helicopter. Given that NGRC is specifically geared to develop a new medium helicopter and NGMH is running concurrently it would seem unlikely both would result in new hardware. Whether ENGRT is feeding into both programmes isn't clear from the article.

A lot of acronyms, a lot of programmes, a lot of EU funding - only two helicopter manufacturers....
Precisely- it’s not a competition, it’s a mechanism for helping to fund development of technology to be used in existing and future medium helicopter types for EU member states, particularly for the member states leading the program.

All of which is extremely clear if you look at the communications issued by the associated agencies.

Not seeing why any different reaction from some here versus as in respect of equivalent research funding by broadly equivalent US agencies.

I just wonder
Lot of money for nothing seemingly tangible with no competition... What could go wrong?
Can't say better than that. Moreover, I always feel suspicious about multiple specifications : every country and operator has different need, and conciliation of all demands make it really hard to create the final product :
  • NH-90 was a European project, for many operators, and suffered issues that were/are difficult to solve - About 500 helicopters ordered in the world

• EC-725/ H225M was a French Air Force project, specified by French Air Force only for the specific CSAR mission - About 230 helicopters ordered in the world. As far as I know it, EC-725 never suffered complex issues, even it's made from the same company.
Regards,

Radium

EC-725 is an Airbus Helicopters product.
NH-90 is the product of NHIndustries - a consortium of Airbus Helicopters, Leonardo and GKN-subsidiary Fokker Aerostructures.

EC-725 is an Airbus Helicopters product.
NH-90 is the product of NHIndustries - a consortium of Airbus Helicopters, Leonardo and GKN-subsidiary Fokker Aerostructures.
That’s totally right but Airbus helicopter is still 62.5% on majority on the project ☺️

The consortium is not the same as Airbus Helicopters. Different entities -> different structures -> different internal dynamics.

The consortium is not the same as Airbus Helicopters. Different entities -> different structures -> different internal dynami

That's totally right. I was more talking about the specification topic than maker :)

Should not be hard to figure out one of the configurations that will be proposed.