English Electric Lightning - Genesis and Projects by Tony Wilson

Schneiderman

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Just published by Morton Books and arrived in the post this morning. A quick review after reading the first half on the book and skimming the second. The subject is a little beyond my usual period of interest so I cannot say with total confidence how much of the book constitutes new material but I believe much may be previously unpublished, certainly the first time all within one book.

Tony Wilson has written an excellent and detailed account of the technical and political life cycle of the Lightning project from its earliest concepts under Petter right through to the fighter’s entry into service, and then goes on to explorer all the many proposals for developed forms and spin-offs. The text is illustrated throughout with numerous original GA drawings, explanatory figures and B&W photos, plus the occasional splash of colour for charts. Buy a copy and put this alongside the works of Tony Buttler and Chris Gibson (written by or published under Blue Envoy) in your UK 1950s collection and they would be in good company. Just the kind of book that this forum would appreciate

The book costs just £12.99 including postage in the UK, little more than the price of two monthly magazines. To my mind that makes it a true bargain. So, having said that my two minor negative points are hardly worthy of mention. First, the paper quality is perhaps a bit thin, but at that price who really cares? Secondly with free post and packing it’s not really a surprise that it came in a simple ‘Jiffy’ envelope and hence one corner was a bit bent, although nothing to get worked up about.

8405 - ENGLISH ELECTRIC LIGHTNING GENESIS AND PROJECTS | Mortons Books

Tony Wilson is a volunteer at the Warton archive so there is no doubt this will be accurate and reveal lots of new things we haven't come across before.
Sounds like another book that my bookshelves need!

I am curious to see how this compares against the two volume masterpiece by Stewart A. Scott:

1607768.JPG
1607767.JPG

Looking forward to new Morton's book. I wish I could find a copy of the English Electric Lightning Vol. 1 Birth of the Legend shown above. Whenever I see a copy they want an arm and a leg for it.

Mine arrived on last Saturday and I have now finished reading it. It's an excellent coverage of both the development of the Lightning (interestingly enough, many of the same criticisms of the UK procurement policy also show in the RAFHS symposium on the TSR.2) and coverage of proposed and unbuilt versions. The later coverage provides lots of raw material for the whiff modeller.

Mine arrived on last Saturday and I have now finished reading it. It's an excellent coverage of both the development of the Lightning (interestingly enough, many of the same criticisms of the UK procurement policy also show in the RAFHS symposium on the TSR.2) and coverage of proposed and unbuilt versions. The later coverage provides lots of raw material for the whiff modeller.
Does it cover radar, sensors and weaponry in any particular detail ?

Not an area I know much about so cannot comment on completeness or accuracy, but this is what is included

Chapter 4 Weapons System Development (pages 55 - 83)
Weapons System Concepts
Radar
Missile Confusion
Cockpit Displays
Missile Installation
Rising Costs
Cuts and Cancellations

Not an area I know much about so cannot comment on completeness or accuracy, but this is what is included

Chapter 4 Weapons System Development (pages 55 - 83)
Weapons System Concepts
Radar
Missile Confusion
Cockpit Displays
Missile Installation
Rising Costs
Cuts and Cancellations
Excellent. Thanks!

Preview here:

Got my mitts on this too.
Only had a flick through so far but one first glance it looks pretty impressive as I suspected it would and anyone who loves Lightnings should get a copy.
There is so much in here that I have never seen before, I suspect the same will be the case for most readers.

Very pleased with my copy which is already well thumbed.
I have only one comment/question: there do not seem to be any variants or evolutions of the Lightning F6 included. Is that because there were not any?
Amatheft are selling Tim.McLelland's Lightning book for £50. Is it a good single volume history?
I love the Lightning colourful squadron liveries but these are now easily found online.

My copy finally arrived in New Zealand after a very long delay.

It is really excellent. Exactly the kind of book I love :) Buy it immediately.

P77 - 1956 radar guided Blue Jay Mk.4 cutaway!
P118 - Red Top Mk 2, Mk. 2 plus drawings (liquid fuel rocket)
Lots of other stuff about radars and AAMs.

Minor quibbles - don't like his decision to refer to OR.329 / F.155T as "F.155". Also several pages in my copy have random ink speckles on, luckily first pages and index not main content.

Its squarely a book about the development phase, nothing of operational Lightning use. It uses primary sources extensively and is a very comprehensive look at

1) How the Lightning was developed, from first ideas
2) Unbuilt Lightning variants
3) More generally, some interesting information on the development of fighter aircraft, AI and AAMs in the UK.

Last edited:
In a meeting with the US Ambassador to Pakistan in 1962, the Pakistani President Ayub speculated that

" Indians might be tempted to accept Soviet offer to establish an assembly plant for Soviet jet engines in India, with a view to installing the engines in British Lightning air frames. "

https://history.state.gov/historicaldocuments/frus1961-63v19/d154

I do not know if this had been pure speculation by the Pakistani President or he had had some hard intelligence.