"Enemy at the Gates: Panic Fighters of the Second World War"

Even if I didn't already want a copy, that cover would definitely entice me.

Fonthill site gives publication date of 5 December 2019

Fonthill site gives publication date of 5 December 2019
Thank you for that, but Amazon already lists other Fonthill titles due to be published in December and even January, so why not this one?

Ask Amazon. Bookdepository says unavailable:

Fonthill says you can preorder:

As does amazon.co.uk:

Last edited:
It's rather annoying. Amazon US has only the Kindle version listed and I don't trust Kindle for other than text-only books.

It's rather annoying. Amazon US has only the Kindle version listed and I don't trust Kindle for other than text-only books.
Well, they now have a print copy from a vendor for $91! But the price on the back of the book is $45, so I'll keep waiting.

I ordered a copy from Book Depository for $30. Right now there is a copy on Amazon for $28.44.

I ordered a copy from Book Depository for $30. Right now there is a copy on Amazon for $28.44.
I know, I ordered from Book Depository yesterday after finding only the Kindle version listed, at that time, on Amazon US.

I' m trying to get my copy in Japan.
Perhaps I can get my copy spending 3600 Japanese yen ($33) now.:)

Last edited:
My copy arrived today . . . :D
I've only had a very quick look through so far, and while some of the content is familiar, from this Forum, and the author's other works, there's a lot of new information here . . . Marten RMI-8, anybody ?
My only gripe is with the production quality of this book. It's printed on, admittedly good quality, bond paper, rather than the coated/art stock used in the 'Secret Projects', and Chris Gibson's Hikoki published books. I would have preferred the latter, as it stands up to handling better, and I know this book is going to get a lot of use . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Book Depository reports that my copy has shipped. With luck, it will be a very nice Christmas present to myself.

I will admit, Justo, that I am really looking forward to your next book beyond this one.

Finally got the book from Book Depository. Very interesting read, though I noticed a minor error in the drawings of the Bf 109 variants: the Bf 109E-1 and E-3 are shown with the later-style canopy, but those variants had the same early-style canopy as used on the B, C and D. Not until the E-4 did the later canopy appear.

Finally got the book from Book Depository. Very interesting read, though I noticed a minor error in the drawings of the Bf 109 variants: the Bf 109E-1 and E-3 are shown with the later-style canopy, but those variants had the same early-style canopy as used on the B, C and D. Not until the E-4 did the later canopy appear.
Same quibble I have with the drawings - only quibble I have with the book. I purchased my copy from Book Depository also and can recommend them highly.

I will note, regarding the behavior of Britain and France, that Two Roads to War sheds some light on that behavior and what was behind it.

I will say that I am most eagerly looking forward to your next book.

I received my copy today. This book has been prepared through extensive historical research.
The number of references is amazing.
I think it took a lot of time and money to collect them.
This book has a lot of airplanes that I haven't seen before, which is very interesting.
I also think it took a lot of time and effort to create these drawings. I will read this great book during the New Year holidays.
I extend my sincere respect and gratitude to the efforts and talents of the author of this book.:)

I received my copy today. This book has been prepared through extensive historical research.
The number of references is amazing.
I think it took a lot of time and money to collect them.
This book has a lot of airplanes that I haven't seen before, which is very interesting.
I also think it took a lot of time and effort to create these drawings. I will read this great book during the New Year holidays.
I extend my sincere respect and gratitude to the efforts and talents of the author of this book.:)
:):):):)

Justo Are you preparing next book " Aircraft of Dying Rising Sun " ?

Or "Enemy at the Gates 2: Panic BOMBERS the Second World War" ;)
Writing about bombers is out of my field of speciality. My knowledge on the subject are those of a fan.
The right person for that work is Pometablava, a real expert. If you can convince him to try, I would be happy to cooperate with some drawings.
Good luck!

The book is being translated right now. It might be published before summer if Fonthill give it priority.
CONTENTS

The Japanese Aggressor (January 28, 1932 to August 15, 1945)

Imperial Japanese Army Aircraft and Projects​

Nakajima Ki.44 Shoki

Kawasaki Ki.45 Toryu

Mitsubishi Ki.46 Shin Shitei (Dinah)

Kawasaki Ki.60/Ki.61/Ki.100 Hien

Nakajima Ki.62, Ki.63, Ki.84, Ki.106, Ki.113, Ki.116 and Ki.117 Hayate

Kawasaki Ki.64 (Rob), Ki.78 (Ken-3) and Ki.88

High-altitude interceptors Nakajima Ki.87 and Tachikawa Ki.94

Manshu Ki.65 and Ki.98

Rikugun Kogiken Heavy Fighter

Nakajima Ki.201 Karyu

Imperial Japanese Navy Aircraft and Projects​

Mitsubishi A6M Zero

Mitsubishi J2M Raiden

Kawanishi N1K1-J Shiden

The IJN “20-shi-Ko” specification

Mitsubishi J4M Senden

Kyushu J7W1 Shinden

Nakajima Kikka

Yokosuka R2Y2 Keiun

Mizuno Shinryu II

Kakukyoku
Rammer

Kayaba Katsuodori

Rocket Fighters

Night Fighters​

Nakajima J1N1 Gekko

Kawasaki Ki.45 Toryu

Mitsubishi Ki.46 Shin Shitei (Dinah)

Nakajima Ki.84 Hayate

Yokosuka D4Y Suisei

Nakajima C6N Saiun

Yokosuka Ginga, Kawanishi Kyokko, Nakajima Byakko and Kugisho Tenga

Aichi S1A Denko

Kawasaki Ki.102

Mitsubishi Ki.109

Mitsubishi A6M2, A6M3, A6M5 and A6M5-S Zero Sen

Mitsubishi J2M3 and J2M4 Raiden

Schräge Musik

Radar Warfare

Operation Downfall

Bibliography​

Attachments

• img20190525_08223748.jpg
    img20190525_08223748.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 30
I imagine this book will be an innovative one.:)

Last edited:

Or "Enemy at the Gates 2: Panic BOMBERS the Second World War" ;)
Writing about bombers is out of my field of speciality. My knowledge on the subject are those of a fan.
The right person for that work is Pometablava, a real expert. If you can convince him to try, I would be happy to cooperate with some drawings.
Good luck!

aha

i hope he reads this so it would be good to do something: D

I can write something about Yugoslav projects ( ik5, orkan, beslin b6, rogozarski r313, zmaj r1 ... ) if he is interested in working ;)

My advice to you is to contact Nenad Miklusev (YASIG). He has very good graphic information on the subject.

https://aeropoxy.wordpress.com/2012/04/01/aeropoxy-yasig-scale-drawings/

https://independent.academia.edu/NenadMiklusev

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/mags/magazine-details/yasig-magazine.htm

Some bibliography here:

Ciglic, B., “La Force Aérienne Royale Yougoslave dans la Deuxième Guerre Mondiale”, Le Fanatique de l’Aviation Nº 503, 504 and 505.

Hall, A., “Hawker Fury and Nimrod”, Scale Aircraft Modelling, December 1993.

Kolka, B., “Aircraft of the Yugoslav Air Force”, SAFO vol.18 Nº1, March 1994.

Miklusev, N., “Ikarus LVT-1 Hurrischmitt”, Yasig Vol.2, Nº 1-4, 1999.

Miklusev, N., “Rogožarsky Ik-3, un Dewoitine 520 à la mode Yougoslave”, Air Magazine Nº53.

Miklusev, N., “Rogožarsky Ik-3”, Avions Nº149. Miklusev, N., “Ik fighters”, Yasig, March 1998.

Ognjević, A., “Le Hawker Fury dans les Balkans”, Avions Nº 210.

Petrovic, O., “Ikarus Ik-2, La Mouette Yougoslave” Avions Nº 201, 223.

Zoran, J., “Emil Versus the Luftwaffe”, Air Enthusiast/September 1971.