- Joined
- 1 April 2006
- Messages
- 12,295
- Reaction score
- 15,146
I had noticed that it seemed to be designed to be dropped onto a seabed, but I assumed it was part of a two stage or else multi-component system which we were missing images of the actual rescue vehicle/s.If anything, I'd suggest it's more like an extended duration undersea station.
The whole configuration is weird. The shape looks like it's designed to freefall, with drag brakes (?) or landing gear (?) at the bottom - there are serious problems with either option for the flaps, but I can't see a third option. There's no entry port visible on top, which is where you'd expect crew access whilst submerged, and the instrumentation would appear to make that untenable. And there's no obvious propulsion or ballast, which invites the question of how the heck you get it to and from wherever you want it.I had noticed that it seemed to be designed to be dropped onto a seabed, but I assumed it was part of a two stage or else multi-component system which we were missing images of the actual rescue vehicle/s.
The whole configuration is weird. The shape looks like it's designed to freefall, with drag brakes (?) or landing gear (?) at the bottom - there are serious problems with either option for the flaps, but I can't see a third option. There's no entry port visible on top, which is where you'd expect crew access whilst submerged, and the instrumentation would appear to make that untenable. And there's no obvious propulsion or ballast, which invites the question of how the heck you get it to and from wherever you want it.
There was a somewhat-active Manned Underwater Station project in 1966-1967, which this might align with, but if so it's not well suited to the requirement.
As drawn this appears to be a device for permanently entombing its crew in deep ocean silt. Which is a dubious mission profile at best. It almost makes more sense as a free-floating crewed surface station, apart from the equipment on the upper surface.
Could be, that would explain the retractable flaps – down quickly, up slowly.Maybe a bobbing near-surface system?
I thought that berths and [scientific] equipment consoles with work chairs makes that a nonsense idea.At first glance it looks kinda like a McCann Rescue Chamber, but the pointy bottom makes that a nonsense idea.
I think the MRC does have berths in it, but the equipment consoles definitely make that a non-starter.I thought that berths and [scientific] equipment consoles with work chairs makes that a nonsense idea.