Egyptian Indigenous tank developments

Yeah the T-55 upgrade program was known as the T54-E until the prototype was delivered back from the US after which it was renamed the Rameses II.

I you are looking for a Ram I there was the Canadian tank.

Rameses II is often regarded as the greatest, most celebrated, and most powerful pharaoh of the New Kingdom, which itself was the most powerful period of ancient Egypt.

So it's perfectly logical to name the tank after "Rameses II" without there having been a Rameses I tank prior.
The first Pharaoh of the 19th Dynasty, Ramesses I was not himself very significant and came to the throne at a late age as part of a political settlement (or coup) following the collapse of the 18th. He was likely installed because, while old, he had a son (later Seti I) and grandson (an older brother of Ramesses II) already, offering the promise of stability (the late 18th Dynasty is a fascinating and complicated story with famous names like Akhenaten, Nefertiti, and Tutankhamun, but not relevant to this thread).

For those interested,

https://archive.org/details/pharaohtriumphan0000kitc (the author is dead, so won't be receiving or missing any payment).

It's a good read, offering a lot on everyday life in Ancient Egypt.

The most recent,

While official propaganda emphasised his image as a great warrior, and her certainly deserved to have a tank named after him, he was in fact most successful as a politician and diplomat.

Forensic reconstructions in middle and old age based on his mummy (he died after reigning 67 years aged about 90). Fun fact: he had red hair.

Attachments

• 82ecf37c-1f09-40a4-af26-f33e1fdb6505.jpg
    82ecf37c-1f09-40a4-af26-f33e1fdb6505.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 13
  • oldpharaoh.jpg
    oldpharaoh.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Not necessarily. Hesham could confirm, but Rameses II is a historically famous pharaoh. AFAIK Ramses I is not nearly as famous.

Just like if the French called some equipment after Henri IV ("Good King Henri") or Louis XIV, it wouldn't mean that they had models Henri 1, 2, 3, or Louis 1-13.
well by that logic if Rameses the first was not much to blush over then why not just call the tank itself the Rameses tank as 89% of egypt and i am sure 99% of the rest of the world dont know about Rameses II let alone Rameses the first

Challenger was just Challenger, until the 2 came out so no 1 in the development timeline there either.
your reply proves my point in a way.... there is never a II, III, IV...etc until there is a replacement of a previous model/ variant
thus
Rameses/ Rameses II

just like
Challenger/ Challenger II
or
Tiger/ Tiger II
or
Panther/ Panther II
or
T-54/ T-54 II/ T-54 III ( were also designated by model year as well)

well by that logic if Rameses the first was not much to blush over then why not just call the tank itself the Rameses tank as 89% of egypt and i am sure 99% of the rest of the world dont know about Rameses II let alone Rameses the first
I would imagine that when naming an Egyptian tank they considered an Egyptian audience, not the historical ignorance of Americans.

I would imagine that when naming an Egyptian tank they considered an Egyptian audience, not the historical ignorance of Americans.
wow i thought making digs at other nations for no other reason but bias or hatred or prejudice wasnt allowed in this forum

again note HOW I SAID 99% OF THE REST OF THE WORLD and there are many nations more ignorant than americans while we elect morons ( cough cough #45 #46 and #47) nations like britian outdo the US in ignorance heel they start conflicts but need to ask daddy aka USA to save them....

again i at no point said any country was ignorant you the runner did.

I agree I was being a bit snarky, but the point I was making was Egypt has no obligation to name its tank in a way that makes sense to other nations.

France could name a tank "Louis XIV" after the Sun King, it wouldn't mean there were 13 predecessors.

Last edited:
There were eleven pharaohs named Ramesses/Ramses. Ramesses II is considered to be the most significant one, so likeliest to have things named after him. Just as Louis XIV is more likely to have things named after him than any other of the French kings named Louis.
Good luck finding a Ramses I tank. I strongly doubt there's one to be found. As always, proving non-existence of anything is singularly hard.
Nessie, is that you?

All attempts for fitted with 122mm was failed except with another body,and T-34 was involved in 1973 war.
I honestly think it would be great if we used our experience from tank gun designing with engine and transmission experience from tracked vehicles like RAAD-200 and make our own designs from scratch

Back
Top Bottom