• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Egypt Obtains MiG-35 & Ka-52

yasotay

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Really hope those Ka-52's work out for you. Have always been a fan, and it seems a pretty decent concept for an attack aircraft (i.e. no tail rotor to loose).

stealthflanker

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
and the M2's looks nice and capable too. It also come with the T220 Targeting pod.

GARGEAN

Reaction score
Really hope those Ka-52's work out for you. Have always been a fan, and it seems a pretty decent concept for an attack aircraft (i.e. no tail rotor to loose).
Why concept? Its a fully mature platform that was used in combat quite extensively.

yasotay

Reaction score
Indeed. To my knowledge it is the only attack/reconnaissance rotorcraft in production without a tail rotor. Very much aware that it is a combat proven design.

FighterJock

Reaction score
Why did Egypt buy the MiG-29M2 and not the full up MiG-35? Cost?

GARGEAN

Reaction score
They were ordered quite some time ago, before 35 face was fully formed. OTOH with order that would probably happened earlier.

dan_inbox

Reaction score
Are they meant for operation on the Gamal Abdul Nassr and Anwar Saadat Mistral-class BPC ships?

Hood

Reaction score
Were the Ka-52s not originally ordered for the Mistrals by Russia and part of the deal anyway? Or is my memory rusty on that?

dan_inbox

Reaction score
According to the link posted by Galgot, it's not yet done: "negotiations are underway with Egypt on the sale of a batch of ship-borne Ka-52K helicopters to be based on two Egyptian Mistral UDCs".
So these appear to be land-based. Sat photos spotted them at Al Khatamia AB, too.

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
The announcement of the navy's order back in 2016:
That Ka-52K order has been officially confirmed by Russian Helicopters:
If I recall correctly, the air force's Ka-52s have done some flying off the Egyptian Mistrals (Gamal Abdel Nasser sub-class).