Hi;

I can't determine this glider,may be it was from 1920s or 1930s,
who can ID it ?.

Attachments

• glider.JPG
    glider.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 188
Re: What was this glider ?

This glider was designed by Tichonrawow and built by the AWF. His name: AWF-1 "Aral".

Attachments

• AWF-1 Aral (Tichonrawow).jpg
    AWF-1 Aral (Tichonrawow).jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 180

Thank you my dear Maveric very much.

Hi!

More on the designer of this glider - here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikhail_Tikhonravov

So later he become involved in Soviet space programme.

By the way: "Arap" - not "Aral"

Interesting. The wing form makes Tikhonravov's much later I-302 rocket fighter design look tame by comparison.

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/tikhonravov.html

"During his third year at Zhukovsky Academy, Tikhonravov along with V. S. Pyshnov and S. V. Ilyushin (future famous aircraft designer) organized a glider club under auspices of the Military Scientific Society. Within the club, students developed their own glider designs, which would be built at the academy workshops. Tikhonravov's glider dubbed AVF-1 "Arap" was built first. It was the only glider of the Academy, which passed the 1st All-Union glider tests in the fall of 1923 in Koktebel, Crimea. In 1924, Tikhonravov became a member of the Technical Committee overseeing glider testing. In Koktebel, the home of Soviet glider enthusiasts, in 1927, Tikhonravov met Sergei Korolev, who was also starting his career on the wings of gliders. They became friends and colleagues for decades to come and... made history in process."

Under "Selected writings by Mikhail Tikhonravov":
Air Flow and the Flight of a Glider, Tekhnika i Snabzhenie Krasnoi Armii, No. 122, 1924

Long before designing the I-302 jet, Tikhonravov built a very original glider with a shoulder-set triangular wing called the AWF-1 (possibly called "Arap", though I don't know the meaning of that word in Russian). It was not a delta design proper because it had a conventional tail unit.

Does anyone know of other early Tikhonravov projects and prototypes?

Sorry about the duplication... :-[

Topics merged and doublets of pictures removed