Early Sweden Airplanes

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

Mr. C.R. Nyberg was built the first airplane in Sweden,it was powered by a steam engine,it appeared in two variants.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 326
  • 2.png
    2.png
    64.4 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
I have a book about these, want any more info?
Btw they never flew XD

blockhaj said:
I have a book about these, want any more info?
Btw they never flew XD

OK dear Blockhaj,please send it and if there was anther airplane to this designer ?.

Couldnt find the book im afraid, but there is some info from the Book, Svenska Flygplan about it. Apparently it could fly, just not with the pilot, how this was achieved is not known. It had a power to weight ratio that was better than the Wright flyer. Nyberg stopped his experiments in 1909.

Here are more pics and some weird boat thing he built

Attachments

• nyberg maskin 2.png
    nyberg maskin 2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • nyberg maskin.png
    nyberg maskin.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • flugan propeller 2.png
    flugan propeller 2.png
    988.7 KB · Views: 29
  • flugan propeller.png
    flugan propeller.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 84
  • flugan 4.png
    flugan 4.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 90
  • flugan 3.png
    flugan 3.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 103
  • flugan 2.png
    flugan 2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 113
  • flugan.png
    flugan.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 160
I was interested in Nyberg's curious looking engines and found this picture of one of his aircraft without its engine insulation and covering here: https://digitaltmuseum.se/021026305891/rorangpanna-med-kondensor?i=0&aq=owner%3A%22S-TEK%22+name%3A%22df46ba8b-1770-4290-b42d-4389b8c75ca2%22

The unusual shape that resembles a turbine exhaust is a large coil of tubing probably surrounding a torch for boiling water to generate steam. Nyberg was an inventor and manufacturer of blowtorches.

The translated text with the picture:

"Pipe boiler, with condenser
Pipe boiler with condenser for steam engine of 10 hkr. Equal parts of the steam engine. Comprising of steam boiler with water tank, fuel tank for burner, condenser and cylinder for steam engine, etc.

Label description: "10 hkr Twin Shaker. Skeleton 28 kg. Total Weight with Shafts and Propellers kg 7. Vapor Pressure: (Upper Heat.) Half Fill" 9 1/2: Repeat per Second 36. Total Weight of Machine and Boiler with Fuel for 10 my. once 50 kg. "

Attachments

• Nyberg Engine.jpg
    Nyberg Engine.jpg
    594.9 KB · Views: 41
I clean this one up.

Attachments

• flugan.jpg
    flugan.jpg
    594.7 KB · Views: 33
Anyone want to mail?

Attachments

• 032waVaEXCPJ.jpg
    032waVaEXCPJ.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 24
blockhaj,

Very interesting stuff on Nyberg's work. Is there anything else on his boat? I wonder if there are any pictures of it under way. It has fore and aft foils and it would be interesting to know if it could have been fast enough to fly on them. Just imagine the looks it got when it pulled up to the dock.

His designs look like something pre-Blade Runner.

Richard

Richard N said:
blockhaj,

Very interesting stuff on Nyberg's work. Is there anything else on his boat? I wonder if there are any pictures of it under way. It has fore and aft foils and it would be interesting to know if it could have been fast enough to fly on them. Just imagine the looks it got when it pulled up to the dock.

His designs look like something pre-Blade Runner.

Richard
Gonna see if i can find something on it later.

Hi,

Mr. C.R. Nyberg was built the first airplane in Sweden,it was powered by a steam engine,it appeared in two variants.

Tested on a circular track in his backyard …..

Why does that remind me of a U-control model?
Would that allow for remote-pilot testing?

SAF was a little known company.

- 68 Swedish Military Airplanes 1911-1926

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    230 KB · Views: 8
Enoch Thulins Aeroplanfabrik built aircraft from 1914. Initially, they built existing designs under licence but later developed their own models too.

The beginning of the Thulin list of aircraft:

Thulin A Monoplane – licence-built Bleriot XI Gnome Omega 50 hp (37 kW)
Thulin B Monoplane – licence-built Morane-Saulnier G Thulin A 80 hp (60 kW)
Thulin C Biplane – licence-built Albatros B.II Benz Bz.II (or Benz Bz.III)
Thulin D Monoplane – licence-built Morane-Saulnier L Thulin A (Le Rhône 9C) 80 hp (60 kW)